• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO SN-3 or SN-3 TPAL? Scope size?

N2rockets

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all. I have a Remington 700 PSS and want to get a scope that will last even when I upgrade to a better gun (AI AW .308/.338?) in the future. I have been looking a lot and so far the USO SN-3 series looks pretty amazing. I am wondering which is better for my needs, the SN-3 or the SN-3 TPAL.

I shoot between 100-1500 yds. flat, and up this canyon to a target at 1000 yds. 20-25 degree's up the mountain. Here is what I was thinking I would need:

SN-3 or SN-3 TPAL
35mm Tube (larger for increased MOA to mountain elevation?)
44mm Front Objective (do I need 58?)
3.2-17x (more needed?)
Mil/Mil measurements in 1/10 increments for precision at closer ranges

I am fairly new to scopes and decent optics, but I am a firm believer in buying once and doing it right. I am esentially looking for a modular scope platform which could transfer between some of my guns when I buy/sell eventually. I dont really understand the differences/benefits of the TPAL over the objective adjustments besides preference?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: USO SN-3 or SN-3 TPAL? Scope size?

-Get the SN3, less moving parts, supposedly more clarity and the ergo objective works great.

-30mm tube should be more than sufficient for enough elevation to get you to 1000 yards. Not worth the extra cash to go 34/35mm.

-You want a 44mm objective for an AI rifle otherwise you will need to raise your cheek piece to achieve proper eye relief.

-3-17 is what I prefer, out here there is usually too much mirage on most days to make anything over 15x viable.

Personally if I would go out to 1500 yards I'd pick the 3.8-22x because the extra magnification will be really nice on the good days.

I have the USO SN-3 3.2-17x44mm, 35mm tube, MPR reticle, ergo objective. I love it. Plently of elevation, solid clicks, the ergo objective is easy to use and is very forgiving (you don't have to fine tune the focus, it has a broad focus range) I have no complaints. You have more ring options with the 34mm but it's not like I'm buying a new set of rings every week. I have the Seekins 35mm low rings and are very pleased with them. If you do get the 22x just be advised the reticle will only be full sized and look nice at full power. IMHO the 17x is more than enough magnifications for all your needs.

PC020019.jpg

PA250333.jpg

20500141561.jpg

20500141624.jpg

I agree about stepping up to the 22X, or even a 5-25 TPal if going to 1500 regularly. I would definitely go TPal. I have owned both, it must take scientific measuring equipment to see the difference between the two, because I can see no difference. Other than it being a lot easier to adjust the parallax/focus with the TPal.

Doesnt sound like much to reach to the objective, but if you are trying to do it from the shooting position (for me, especially prone) it makes a big difference.

If I were going USO, and shooting to 1500 yards with any regularity, I would go 5-25 TPal, 34mm tube, Lit red with a GAP Mil reticle.

IMHO go with the 3.2-17 with ?obj. Like the Tpal but in a comp. your really not adjusting your obj. every shot and it seems with the ergo you can set it about 400 and see/hit everything just fine....good scope either way so just buy both and have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the USO SN-3 3.2-17x44mm, 35mm tube, MPR reticle, ergo objective. I love it. Plently of elevation, solid clicks, the ergo objective is easy to use and is very forgiving (you don't have to fine tune the focus, it has a broad focus range) I have no complaints. You have more ring options with the 34mm but it's not like I'm buying a new set of rings every week. I have the Seekins 35mm low rings and are very pleased with them. If you do get the 22x just be advised the reticle will only be full sized and look nice at full power. IMHO the 17x is more than enough magnifications for all your needs.

PC020019.jpg

PA250333.jpg

20500141561.jpg

20500141624.jpg
</div></div>

Nice pics, I have an SN-3 Ergo 3.2-17x58mm with the same reticle on order. Your pics make it hard to stay patient, I can't wait for my scope to arrive.