• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO SN3 TPAL Gen 2 XR W/Bent Tube

SmokeStyx

Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Alabama
Just got it July 2,had it mounted on my rifle at a large (chain) gun dealer.They did not torque the rings,bent the tube with compression.It seems to operate OK,any way you guys know of to repair it.I AM SICK!I dont know if USO can replace the tube,gonna call tomorrow and see,and what charges would be.Anybody ever have this happen?

Re: USO SN3 TPAL Gen 2 XR W/Bent Tube

Sounds like a certain gun dealer just bought a nice USO demo...

Just curious; how do you know it's bent? I would think the ring cap screws would give out first on a USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godblesstheUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had it mounted on my rifle at a large (chain) gun dealer. </div></div>

Steel 1" rings with a 30mm tube, or some such BS?

I agree, looks like a "large (chain) gun dealer" just bought a USO........I doubt if that's warranty work for USO.

Let me guess, starts with a "Gander" and ends with a "Mountain"?

The guy who worked on it asked me to bring him the instruction manual,said he was not familer on how to zero that type of optic.Said he left the rings somewhat loose untill I came back with the instructions.(I specifically told him be careful not to scratch it up).I had to keep the gun locked and in the case while in the store.Got home and checked it out,guess he had tried to mount it in a couple of different positions,anyway,the tube has a small crimp in it under the rear ring(noticeable).The rings are badger,came on the GAP,I assumed they knew what they were doing.Any way,it is my fault for not taking it to a smith,just got anxious,only place open on Sunday. I took the scope back off the rifle,it is pretty bad.

I am thinking it quite possibly is not bent! What size is the tube?

I am sure its not a warranty,no-one warrants against DUMASS.Anybody know the aproximate cost of replacing a tube?

If in fact it is bent{which I doubt} call USO in the morning. They are good peeps; perhaps they'll give you some type of price relief! In the mean time chill! Btw how did you like that reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godblesstheUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guy who worked on it asked me to bring him the instruction manual,said he was not familer on how to zero that type of optic. </div></div>

Hate to say it as you have already found out, when someone says that when you are entrusting them to $3k-ish worth of gear the response should be "thank you for your time, I'll be leaving now".....

Call USO in the am and see if John's in. I'm sure they could fix it, but noone here can tell you what that'll run you. Ask for a copy of an estimate to be faxed so you can take it to the General Manager of the place that dicked it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me guess, starts with a "Gander" and ends with a "Mountain"?</div></div>Hey, that was my guess.

The bad news is that, in general and based on what you told us, they probably don't have to buy the scope and they probably don't owe you a new scope. Hopefully they didn't give you a receipt or a claim ticket that says, on the reverse and in small print of course, that their damages are limited to something like the cost of the service.

There are a few different ways to look at your damages here: They owe you either the cost of repair from USO, or the value of a new scope minus the value of your scope with the damage to it.

After you talk to USO, take your case to someone at the store who has the authority to decide how to fix the problem for you.

I will try and take some pics,probably tomorrow,maybe I will get some suggestions.My main concern is will it operate normally.

I'll call USO in the morning,let you know how it turns out.Thanks

Still a bit confused. are you saying they tried to mount a 30mm (34 or 35mm) in 1 " rings?

They at least owe you a explination. Perhaps you might comment who the retailer was so as NOT to take kit into them.

This thread makes no sense at all. If you are not able to mount your own scope, you should seriously consider a new hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes no sense at all. If you are not able to mount your own scope, you should seriously consider a new hobby.</div></div>

That was my train of thought as well. Do you hire an electrician to come change your light bulbs?

This sport requires a certain amount of mechanical ability in order to operate safely. If mounting your scope had you flummoxed, I worry what your response will be first time something goes wrong on the firing line or you're asked to make a weapon safe before an instructor begins walking up and down the line.

Of course, same goes for whomever gak'd up your scope too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wana see pics of a bent USO and the rings that did it. </div></div>

You and me both.

Cheers,

Doc

15 inch pounds is all that is needed to torque on the ring caps. WTF was done? But seriously, I agree with USMCj anyone that needs to go to a "smith" to install a scope probably should choose a new hobby.

15 inch pounds is all that is needed to torque on the ring caps. WTF was done? But seriously, I agree with USMCj anyone that needs to go to a "smith" to install a scope probably should choose a new hobby.

I need to see pictures of this but my 1st thought is that this don't jive... I would think that the ring screws would strip out before crushing the tube.. I could be wrong..

You want to see a picture....I want to see a picture!!! Give the man a cigar if he did bend it! If it IS really bent, I need to have it back for inspection immediately.
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys would be surprised as to how many people have a smith install a scope on there rifles. </div></div>

I was waiting for that! Every hunting season gun shops make a bunch mounting scopes and cleaning rifles. Damndest thing you've ever seen.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys would be surprised as to how many people have a smith install a scope on there rifles. </div></div>

The person who attempted this could not have been a smith, probably just another know it all counter salesman.

Damn shame.

I too would like to know:

1. The store that did it. Because a f@ckup of that order deserves special recognition.
2. The rings that were used, because that's some awesome holding power there.
3. Pictures of the tube.

I have an SN-3 on the way. You better believe that NO ONE is going to touch that thing unless they have "match rifle armorer" in their list of accolades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys would be surprised as to how many people have a smith install a scope on there rifles.</div></div>Many who have owned rifles since they were children still don't know how to use one to its potential. I have re-mounted scopes of complete strangers, at the range, especially after getting the shooter off the bench and into a proper prone position. And I am always a bit surprised that they let another stranger mess with their gear.

Here it's not the fault of the victim: There's nothing wrong with accepting one's limitations and trusting someone who knows what he is doing. In fact, I wish more people would do just that: recognize a limitation; and learn from another.

It's just not right that the gun store took advantage.

Tagged for the eventual look at a bent USO.

Given that my SN3s look like they could be used as roofing hammers, I'd like to see what badger rings "can" do to the tube, given enough idiocy.

The guy made a mistake taking it to Gander, give him a break, he doesn't need a new hobby, he just needs some good instruction. The learning curve is steeper for some, but we all had - and still have - things to learn.

Does not pertain to USO but I did see a NF creased from mounting. The scope was used to twist in Loopy dovetails. It had a fairly good crease, looks like it was tried multiple times back and forth or the dovetail was bad or something. It was from a local shop gun. He got a brand new NF though.

Same gun shop installed night sights on a pistol and the front sight was, by the looks a steel center punch was used with a hammer and was only half way in.

Even though I have mounted scopes before, using methods I've learned from here, I am still planning on taking my SN3 to Arnold at the USO shop and have him mount it on my rifle for me and have it done right the first time. I am holding off getting the base and rings from other vendors because while at the shop, I can try rings of varying height until I find one that fits me, and then purchase. That sure beats buying a set, and find it is too tall or short and return and get another set.

It is nice to be close to USO...
laugh.gif

How much to load it for me at the beginning of deer season?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to see a picture....I want to see a picture!!! Give the man a cigar if he did bend it! If it IS really bent, I need to have it back for inspection immediately.
John III</div></div>

im betting he used a 3/8 ingersoll rand inpact gun on the torx screws. 15"lbs=bapbapbap. duh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to see a picture....I want to see a picture!!! Give the man a cigar if he did bend it! If it IS really bent, I need to have it back for inspection immediately.
John III </div></div>

GBUSA-there's your answer........

I guess I never really answered the original question.....if it is a TPAL, and the front tube(closest to the objective) is "bent", then most likely there will be operational issues.

If it is the rear portion of the tube, on ANY of the scopes, you are good to go.
John III

EDIT: I still would like to see some pictures of this phenomena.

JBW#3, not that USO's are suceptable to damage; but would you say the Ergo's are less prone to get damaged?

Oh your kidding me I just got home from putting this scope in your hands.

Guys for real he got this just the other day. And drove 1.5 hrs to get it too.

I feel really bad. Godbless is such a nice guy.

Just be thankful we have John, if it had been a S&B then there would be some real trouble. I agree that I feel the shop owes you for a new scope of your choice. Im sick about it now.

Turk, yes and no. The bodies are just as durable, however the TPAL has the oone weekness, crunching the front tube. It will take a lot to do this, but the possibility is there.
John III

I can understand the OP being paranoid and a little scared to mount his first high end optic(assuming). But, you need to just bite the bullet and do it. Unless you take it to a known quantity, you will likely get a better job doing it yourself. It is as easy as loading a magazine amigo. Take your time, follow some of the tutorials around the net. Very easy, and if you do it yourself, you know it is right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turk, yes and no. The bodies are just as durable, however the TPAL has the oone weekness, crunching the front tube. It will take a lot to do this, but the possibility is there.
John III </div></div>
Not weakness neccesarily; maybe just not as strong!
grin.gif

Well.. As far as strength.. I would think an Ergo which essentially is a 2 piece deal... the objective that turns around the body would be weaker than a 1 piece fixed objective... 1 piece is always stronger than 2 pieces put together to make one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well.. As far as strength.. I would think an Ergo which essentially is a 2 piece deal... the objective that turns around the body would be weaker than a 1 piece fixed objective... 1 piece is always stronger than 2 pieces put together to make one... </div></div>

Ummmm no, when you have two pieces of identical thickness doubling the internal diameter the strength goes up exponentially, give or take for you math majors. USO's main tubes are .10" thick of T6016 - T6 aluminum. The bells are of similar construction. The ERGO has double the wall thickness. Then again at this point we're talking about holding up an F-350 vs single cab semi both of which will crush your grape and bend your stick.

The point of this thread is that some knucklehead has crunched a .10" wall thickness aluminum tube with a set of rings.

I for one, want to see pics.

Cheers,

Doc

EDIT

Doc, is the ERGO a stronger scope in general compared to the TPAL because of the thicker housing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please don't be offended but I am going w/ "doc" on this one! </div></div>

By the time I posted what I was writing Doc had already responded! I edited
smile.gif