• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO SPOTTER & EYE RELIEF?

RECKON SO

Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Ive been playing around with my new USO spotter and the eye relief on this thing is not like any other spotting scope I have ever used. It might be me but it seems like you have to hold your head about 3-4 inches behind the scope and perfectly centered or you wont get squat for a sight picture. I really like the scope and the customized features I got with it but I aint sure if its just mine thats picky about eye relief or is it just the nature of these scopes? I noticed that there are threads inside of the eyepiece and thought about making a small extension tube so that it would be easier or more natural to locate my head in relation to the eyepiece but I have no idea what the size and thread pitch is. Is anyone else with these spotters dealing with this?

Re: USO SPOTTER & EYE RELIEF?

Not sure about that spotter but my Kowa with the 27x eyepiece has a thin rubber extension on it that keeps your eye back. Like you said maybe making an extension would be good and make it easier to use.

Topstrap

yes this is exactly how mine was, I couldn't get used to it so I opted to go back to my nikon tactical spotter. it has eye relief just like a scope not like a spotter and the problem with that is their isn't a stock to rest your cheek on to get the desired position.

just my .02cents and some say it isn't worth that.

The USO Spotter has similar eye relief to an actual rifle scope (2.51" according to the USO website). Some (lots) do not like it, but it can be very useful in many situations. Some such situations are: if you are wearing goggles, gas mask(?) or just need to keep your eye on things that are going on around you while spotting your shooters hits.

I was a bit unsure about mine at first, but I really like it now. After all, we spend so much time behind the actual rifle scope when shooting, I can't see why exactly so many people don't like it!?

I guess it is what you get used to. I really like the eye relief cause I wear glasses and I'm not bumping them all the time. Don't have any issues with keeping a good sight picture. Have had several F-class shooters spot with it and no complaints from them. I use mine a lot, I think it grows on you with use.

The only one I have ever used was mounted on a stock with a folding butt stock with a custom scope mount, worked great. Now if they made the laser rangefinding one I would be all over it!

MUCH OBLIGED on the all the response. I am glad to see thats its not just mine that works this way. I might just take my eyepiece to the shop tonight and see if I can make an extension to make it easier to use. I kind of like the idea of a mocked up rifle stock, that seems like it would make it more natural to use since its setup like a rifle scope anyway.

I've used a few USO spotters, with various reticles, the eye relief is just fine if you ask me.

Re the design: It's a heavy duty piece of equipment, intended for serious field use... i think it's safe to say that they would remain functional, and get the job done, long after many of the more delicate designs have failed..... that's why i chose it (I have no plans of parting with mine).

I tried one and didn't like it.

I can see how it might be handy while shooting prone to just peek over and see the target, but for using one spotting a match I found it to be a real struggle. I prefer a standard spotter where I just put my eye up against it for reference and I'm GTG.

An extension to set your eyeball to the correct distance would be cool.
I prefer the eye relief of the Kowa LER-its called long, but its just right for glasses.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An extension to set your eyeball to the correct distance would be cool.
I prefer the eye relief of the Kowa LER-its called long, but its just right for glasses..... </div></div>

I have both the LER and the standard 20-60 eyepiece. Both work OK with glasses (just don't screw out the eyepiece extension on the 20-60). the LER just works better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pazzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a bit unsure about mine at first, but I really like it now. After all, we spend so much time behind the actual rifle scope when shooting, I can't see why exactly so many people don't like it!? </div></div>

Because on a rifle scope you have a stock to rest your head on. Its really awkward trying to float your head 2.5 inches behind the scope with nothing to hold onto. I don't know if I buy the whole gas mask excuse, I think its just a design flaw from the fact that it is just a rifle scope with no turrets and a huge objective. </div></div>

I don't buy the gas mask thing fully either, that's why I put the "(?)" beside it. I just read that somewhere and though I'd add it to the list.

In reality, the eye relief issue is probably going to benefit you if you are holding your head still waiting for your partner to shoot, but you need to glance down at him to see what he is doing. I personally don't like being blinded or enclosed by the eyepiece on standard eyecup spotting scopes. It is nice being able to use my peripheral vision.

For me, I like the option of scanning the road in the distance which we're shooting on, to see if there are any quads/dirtbikes coming. The longer eye relief has proven very useful on more than one occasion in this situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard it had to be gas mask compatible, per military requirements. Thus the long eye relief. </div></div>

This is correct, it was one of the requirements in the USMC SSOT RFP. Funny that nobody else listened to the requirement. BTW- Ashbury has filed a protest about the Horus reticle scope, http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/401123.htm

John III

I took the scope to the shop and couldnt quite get a fix on the thread pitch, but I just got off the phone with USO and they told me that the thread pitch is (1.775 x 32) if this helps anybody out that wants to make an extension. I am going to take a stab at it.