• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO Spotter vs.?

dmachine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2004
RI
How does the USO Spotting scope stack up to stuff like the Kowa 660 w/ 20-60x eye pc.? Or the Minox with ED glass, or the Leupold HD? I'm looking for something smaller, a little easier to carry than my Kowa 660. Most straight tube spotter's arn't all that great, but USO's stuff is very good as a rule. I can see .22 hole's @ 200+ yards with the Kowa, how about the USO ??

Re: USO Spotter vs.?

Image wise it doesn't. The fact that it has a reticle though is the important part.

I use a Kowa 664 and USO on the same tripod, and yeah, the image quality is not comparable. I have an $85 Barska Blackhawk that resolves better than the USO.

However, the USO really comes into it's own for ranging and calling shots. View your impact through the good spotter, switch to the USO to see how far off it was, and make a correction.

USO is a field spotting scope not a true spotting scope. Spotting scopes like the Kowa listed above are higher resolution resulting in a clear image.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Image wise it doesn't. The fact that it has a reticle though is the important part. </div></div>

Have any of you guy's seen the little pocket mono-scope that Valdada (IOR) makes? It's called the Optolyth 10x28R and it's a 10x scope with an MP-8 ret. in it. It's great to have in your pocket for checking stuff out and ranging. The glass is very nice and it's easy to focus. 10x is a little high for holding steady, 8x would be better. It's a lot easier to carry than a second spotter if all your after is a retical, and a lot cheaper, around $300 (see Scott at Liberty Optics)