• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO ST-10 max range

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Gentlemen,

Those of you that have an ST-10 at what range do you feel your scope is no longer affective? If you are a good shooter with good eyesight do you believe your optic is capable at 1300 yards and under? Or do you believe 1000 is your limit.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: USO ST-10 max range

How good are your eyes? How proficient are you?

For me; 10x isn't enough for that kind of shooting. Depending on the size of the target, of course...

as TallShot said, it depends on your eyes and how big your target is. I know I can hit man size steel at a 1000 with no problems with a 10x and the military has done it for years. But, if given the opportunity I would rather have some more magnification for identifying items a little better at that range. I personally like up 17 - 20 power. Of course, more magnification brings on mirage and that is why you have a variable scope.

Targets are almost all 12"x12" I have and can engage at 1000 with a 10x40 bushnell tactical and I know that when you upgrade quality of optics you can see more with the same magnification. I have never been behind a ST-10 so I was wondering if the quality of glass was enough to make up for the lower magnification. And I have a 16x and mirage has kicked my butt a couple of times so I was looking to upgrade my quality of glass.

Thank you,
Merritt

I have an older ST-10 and the OPTICS are brillant and should do you well out to that range.

Your primary concern should be the reticle - how big is the center dot on it?

On my 2001 model it would prob ably obliterate (Cover) a 12" x 12" target at 1300 yards.

I have an inscribed memory of seeing the tweety birds on teh ground under my target at 1000 yards at Ft Lewis, many many times - watched them pecking around up close and personal.

But at 100 yards even, the dot on *my* ancient reticle can obliterate a 1"x1" dot - so it's an issue....

Not sure on the newer St-10 reticles tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older ST-10 and the OPTICS are brillant and should do you well out to that range.

Your primary concern should be the reticle - how big is the center dot on it?

On my 2001 model it would prob ably obliterate (Cover) a 12" x 12" target at 1300 yards.

I have an inscribed memory of seeing the tweety birds on teh ground under my target at 1000 yards at Ft Lewis, many many times - watched them pecking around up close and personal.

But at 100 yards even, the dot on *my* ancient reticle can obliterate a 1"x1" dot - so it's an issue....

Not sure on the newer St-10 reticles tho. </div></div>

The new Reticles have .07moa line thickness so I'm not worried about the reticle covering the target I'm just worried about seeing impacts on or around steel.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be special ordering a new ST-10 right around or just after christmas time.

Thank you,
Merritt

I was ringing a 8" plate of steel with my t-pal set @ 3.2. I think it's all a mental thing, if you set your brain that you need x amount of power to make the shot but you really don't. If I can identify a target, I'm sure I can hit it.