• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO ST-1700

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Ok guys what's your take on this scope. I am currently running a 16x SS and love it however I feel this would be a jump to a complete other level of optic. It's competitor to my money would be the 6-20 SS. I can get the 1700 loaded out exactly how I want it for roughly the same price.

I know the SS service can't be touched and I have heard a few horror stories about USO but I know they are top level glass or they wouldn't have passed the military trials.

Let me here the opinions.

Thanks,
Merritt

Re: USO ST-1700

You really think the Nightforce or the Razor are that much of an improvement over a US optics? I find that hard to believe. I have been behind a couple razors and I'm not overly impressed. Not to mention the price tag of the Razor and the F1 in a FFP. I will never buy another SFP optic.

The USO's are alot of glam but they are loaded with bugs and problems. I would not buy a USO. period. Yes you pay more for a nightforce or Vortex. but you get what you pay for! quality, crystal clear glass, and no hassles or issues. A used NF FI runs about 1800 here on the forum, Ever seen a USO st1700 for sale here? i watch those forums like a hawk and i dont recall seeing any. Plus its nice to have an adjustable power range instead of being fixed at 16 or 17 power all the time. there is no need for that much magnification.

I have owned just about ever top high dollar scope on the market. For crystal clear optics and reliability i would not rank USO on the list...

I don't really like USO scopes but wouldn't call them junk...

If 1200 or so is your budget look at the Bushnell 3-21 they are doing a group buy of it through GAP I think. 1250$ for 3-21 FFP with a neat reticule supposedly available in a couple months.

Super Sniper 5-20 I'd look for a used one I've seen a few in the classifieds here for 1100-1200 (keep in mind many of them are from the 1k buck group buy so that will give you some haggle room).

The bushy's are nice scopes but I need more travel. I currently have 116 min of total travel and need every bit of it. I currently can dial to 1 mile and need it for the intimidator at TVP. Its a 74min up correction so that limits me on scope options.

Thanks,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce F1 Or Vortex Razor HD. Buy Once, Cry once. Stay away from the cheap imitators.... </div></div>

I dont normally get in on these discussions, but I have to say, maybe NF, but not Vortex, I have used one before and I would not compare to the USO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The USO's are alot of glam but they are loaded with bugs and problems. I would not buy a USO. period. Yes you pay more for a nightforce or Vortex. but you get what you pay for! quality, crystal clear glass, and no hassles or issues. A used NF FI runs about 1800 here on the forum, Ever seen a USO st1700 for sale here? i watch those forums like a hawk and i dont recall seeing any. Plus its nice to have an adjustable power range instead of being fixed at 16 or 17 power all the time. there is no need for that much magnification.

I have owned just about ever top high dollar scope on the market. For crystal clear optics and reliability i would not rank USO on the list... </div></div>

I personally have three US Optics scopes and love them. One is and SN3 3.2-17 that sits on a AR-10 SSASS, a SN3 TPAL 5-25 that sits on a worked over Savage 110fp and a SN4 1.5-6 that bounces between the Specialized Dynamics AR15 and AR10 SSASS. To date, this year, I have shot three larger matches, Score High Tactical and NORCAL with the 5-25 and RM3G with the SN4 on the AR10 in He-Man Tac and have not had any issues with any of my scopes. I will also be using the 5-25 in OK this weekend at the OTS match and then in October for The NTRP Vortex Trinity Valley Shoot Off. I also shot a minimum of two local rifle matches a month, AZ area so my gear gets shot regularly. These are reliable hands down and the glass is great.

As for magnification I am of the mindset that you can never have to much I started with a fixed 10 then moved to a 4.5-14 then the 3.2-17 now I go up to 25 for 3gun I started 1-4 then went 1.5-6 and am awaiting the release of the new 1-8. If I am honest with myself I could probably save some money and just by 25 power fixed because 90% of the time I leave them set at full power, except for the 3gun stuff.

Now for the statement of US Optics being loaded with bugs and problems....I have seen scopes go down be it Schmidt and Bender, Super Sniper, Vortex, Vector, etc. I do not know what US Optics or any other scope manufactures defect ratio is nor do I want to think of Six Sigma methodologies while I am away from my office, but I do know that side by side with Premier, Schmidt and Bender, Hensoldt my eyes like the US Optics glass.

So to answer the original post spend the money and get the US Optics. The one thing that I have heard repetitively and agree with on glass buy once cry once because this will go on several other rifles and probably outlast your barrel - depending on how much you shoot. Also, Jeff and crew over at US Optics are great people and a joy to deal with. Give them a call and he will help you out.Phone: (714)582-1956

Michael

+1 for USO

I shoot a good amount of monthly matches between Las Vegas, Nevada and Arizona. I was using a NF NXS but switched to a USO SN-3. I'm very happy I made the switch, the scope is excellent and has held up to everything I've put it through.

One of my team mates has a Razor HD coming so we should be able to compare them side by side in the near future.

I have never heard let alone experanced anything but the very best Customer service at USO. they are made in the USA the glass is some of the best i have ever looked through and they are built to LAST... I think my son will be using my USO scopes some day.

Buy once cry once and never look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier, Schmidt and Bender, Hensoldt my eyes like the US Optics glass. </div></div>

I've seen USO and S&B. The S&B is definitely better but you pay for it & you don't get the customization options that USO offers.

I still vote for the bushnell FFP though. The price and the reticule are just too good to pass up.