• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes USO - T-PAL or ERGO?

NoExpert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Riverside, CA
I'm thinking of getting a new USO 1.8-10X37 but can't decide between T-PAL and ERGO. Which would you go with and why? I'm leaning towards ERGO at the moment, less lenses and no need to start at one end and turn to the other and start over if you don't get it right. Also fewer knobs cluttering things...

Re: USO - T-PAL or ERGO?

That's what I figured... Anyone know if the C2 reticle is available with the 1.8-10X ERGO setup?

Looks like I'll be listing my current scope for sale on GB.com since I don't have the post count to do it here...

Go with the Ergo for all the reasons you stated. USO can get real cluttered with a Tpal and illuminated reticle turrets, plus Ergo is the better optical solution.

To reach an ERGO adjustment from prone, I have to move my body enough that it ruins my sight picture. With Tpal, I can easily reach it. I dont use illumination.
For me, I think the Tpal is better.

For most of my shooting I set it and forget it at 300 with the ERGO. Covers everything from 200 out to 600 or so. When shooting longer with it, you can set it at 600 or so and be good to go for the long ranges.

when I compared the ergo to the tpal...using the parallax adjustment on either.

The ergo was far far far far more forgiving on the parallax setting. Meaning I could move from distance to distance and almost not have to change the setting.

The tpal I had to be almost dead on so I was constantly screwing with it ...as with any other non adjustable objective.

This is the downfall of the side parallax design.

It all depends on what kind of shooting you will do. Optically adjustable objectives are superior for adjustment and clarity. Side paralax models also tend to be more "finicky" with a little knob movement. But with that being said what is your projected end state? Are you a bench or pure target shooter that can afford to break his shooting position and make that adjustment on your objective lense or do you have to make the adjustment while in a shooting position with speed while keeping your eyes on your target? Only you can answer what your intended purpose is. What one guy here likes might mean crap to your intended purpose.

I've shot match stages where I forgot or didn't notice any need to change the parallax on my ERGO. It was set @ 100 and I engaged targets past 700 and shot well - for me
smile.gif

I've heard it over/over again that ERGO is much more forgiving and that helps me because I still forget stuff like, bringing a magazine, leaving elevation for 700 on for 100 yard target, engaging targets in wrong order. You know the usual stuff. Not having to "normally" worry about my parallax setting is a ++.

I asked for input here and ERGO outweighted the TPAL for me.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To reach an ERGO adjustment from prone, I have to move my body enough that it ruins my sight picture. With Tpal, I can easily reach it. I dont use illumination.
For me, I think the Tpal is better. </div></div>

I thought about this when I initially got an ERGO setup... then I realized I have long ape arms that can reach the objective no problem.

I agree with, 300WM, Popeye and Rosie palma.

Ergo is less finicky, more forgiving,can be set and forgot and I feel has better optic clarity. Also, I've noticed less eye fatigue and overall better reticle focus with adjustable objective vs. turret parallax.

On the Ergo, I trust the numbers. Set to whatever distance I'm shooting at, I can get behind the optic and never see the kind of parallax shifting I would with a turret parallax adjustable scope. (Which then requires fiddling.) On the USO's at least, anything after 250yds has such a minimal amount of parallax shift that I only set it as a force of habit.

Finally, I'm pretty sure on low mag scopes, they can be setup(and usually are) so that parallax shift is so minimal that parallax adjustment isn't required. Like on your USO, 6x and below outside 150yds, you won't see any perceivable shift. Still it's nice to have the adjustment.

I'm pretty sure this is why the NXS 2.5-10x24 has no parallax adjustment, yet is fielded on a rifle that has somewhat of a precision role.

So this is what I've come up with...

SN-3 1.8-10X37
ERGO objective
USO flip up covers
JNG MIL or C2 MIL reticle
Red illumination
EREK 1/10 MIL elevation knob
US#1 windage knob with cover - left handed
US#1 M40 style windage knob - left handed
Matte black type III hard anodizing
34mm tube

I'd also like to add an internal bubble level but not sure about the cost of that. I'm on a rather fixed budget so hoping to make every dollar count.

Ideas or suggestions for this scope setup?

I just had an internal bubble level installed on my uso scope,
price is around $135 but if you are getting it built it sould be cheaper around $85.

I have Ergo on mine, I like it. Never messed with T-Pal so cant say I don't like it.

I think I can swing that and work it into the budget. Still up in the air on rings too. Thinking some BO USMC 34mm rings would be nice, just not sure I want the added weight of the forward 1 inch wide ring. I know there are some aluminum ring manufacturers but not sure which would be a good way to go. I'm thinking they should be 1 inch tall (rail to scope center) which leaves a few options. The Spuhr rings look pretty interesting but need to find out about cost since it is a factor.

I definitely appreciate all the info so far.

Would users that have both USO TPAL and NF NXS say that the side focus is similar?

Considering a USO in the future and if the TPAL is similar in operation to a NF, I would be inclined to stick with what im used to (TPAL over the ERGO).

Been using TPAL's for a while but I think just for something new
my next will be Ergo. A friend that has identical setup minus Tpal
seems to have a slightly better picture with the Ergo.

I got the scope quoted today, not too bad...

Model SN-3
Parallax Control ERGO Upgrade
Power 1.8-10x
Objective 37mm
Objective Cover U.S.O. Flipup
Tube 34mm
Color Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
Eyepiece Lo Profile - Rapid Focus - Level
Eyepiece Cover U.S.O. Flipup
Reticle Option JNG MIL
Reticle Lighting Type Digital Push Button (Red)
Knob - Elevation EREK 1/10 MIL
Knob - Windage US#1 1/10 MIL LEFT HANDED
Knob - Windage US#1 M40 Style 1/10 MIL EXTRA KNOB

Some more questions...

Should I stick with the standard EREK knob or wait for the Mini-EREK?

What is the opinion on the MPR reticle? I've had the JNG and it's okay, just exploring the options.