• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO torture test

Re: USO torture test

Not saying USO isn't a good optic but I'm not too impressed with the "scope only" throws. The scope doesn't way that much therefore, when landing, the scope doesn't have a shit tonne of weight landing on it. Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. As for me, I'll stick to Nightforce...(besides my Short Dot).

None the less I think its a awesome test. Just that the adjustments held up and didn't set the scope way out of alignment was remarkable. I sure the other high end scopes would hold up, but to see a test like this is better than reading about how durable a scope is.

Kyle

USO would smash your nightforce into little pieces and still hold a zero.

Impressive, it is a good testament to the durability of USO. However others have torture tested other optics and had similar results. So I see this as nothing new or ground breaking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. </div></div>

Send the rifle, I would be more than happy to do the same test.
smile.gif

John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. </div></div>

smile.gif

John III </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Carefull what you wish for! You never know who is reading the thread....BOOOO YAAAA</span>

Hrmm... how about this.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpO8X4E_9vs&feature=player_profilepage"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpO8X4E_9vs&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO would smash your nightforce into little pieces and still hold a zero. </div></div>

+1 USOs are made tough as the the schlong of Zeus!

Seeing as one time, while at a local match, I had a rifle with a Bushnel Elite scope take a light fall off a coffee table in a motel room. It was no higher than a foot and a half off the ground and fell onto carpeted floor. Next day, my zero was 8 minutes off, so this kind of test still speaks volumes for me when comparing USO to other scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO would smash your nightforce into little pieces and still hold a zero. </div></div>

I guess thats why SOCOM Operators use the NightForce rather often.

My post wasn't to give little fanboys an opportunity to spew. It was to state FACT. Give The former Head of the CRANE 'smithing dept a call. He just retired and he is now in the private sector. He is still privy to the current goings on there. Ask him what scopes are currently being spec'd on their builds.

Also what Engineering backround do you have to base your "smashing" statement on??? What type of "TOP SECRET" information do YOU HAVE that the CRANE ENGINEERS DO NOT HAVE????? I'm sure interested to hear your "infinte-internet" wisdom as I'm sure my fellow 'Hide memebers are. NOT TO MENTION THE CRANE ENGINEERS!!!!

Not likely
smiley_abused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. </div></div>

smile.gif

John III </div></div>

No problem. You provide the scope, I'll have a custom built Remington 700 that you could mount a USO and perform the test.

What does SOCOM using NF have to do with the fact that a USO can and will smash it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. </div></div>

smile.gif

John III </div></div>

No problem. You provide the scope, I'll have a custom built Remington 700 that you could mount a USO and perform the test. </div></div>

Since John is the owner of USO I'm sure he can provide a scope for the test. So when are you sending him the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problem. You provide the scope, I'll have a custom built Remington 700 that you could mount a USO and perform the test. </div></div>

Sounds good, do you have a FAX number I can send an FFL to?
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does SOCOM using NF have to do with the fact that a USO can and will smash it?

</div></div>

Remember your military equipment was purchased from the lowest bidder!
sick.gif

Having just retired and worked under SOCOM for 12 years I can tell you it has nothing to do with USO. It has to do with cost vs. capability vs. timeline. If it meets the specs outlined, then how much, if both those factors are approved, then timeline. USO is every bit as quality as NF.
USO is built custom for each request and is probably not spec'd for mass production. For what it is worth, just because it is SOCOM does not mean you get the best product everytime. It is the government for God's sake. They are both great products. I'm going with USO regardless. We carried the Sig Sauer P226...not the greatest pistol in my opinion. Probably no coincidence that a Retired USN SEAL Admiral (Richards) became one of Sig Sauer's vice presidents...hmmm...go figure.

Reactions: stanley_white

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMCj.....he has to "flex" his "In the Know" Attitude....duh
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Something about the way you word that makes me think of a certain.....pain in the ass. The kind of pain in the ass that has a cult following.

Anyone who calls BS on USO scopes being able to destroy another scope in a brutal clubbing contest has obviously never handled one. I've owned an NXS and it was a solid scope, I'll bet it can take a beating. But the heft of my SN-3s lets me know that the wall thickness of the aluminum is several orders of magnitude over other scopes I've handled.

Its common sense man, there is a reason these scopes weigh more than others of comprable size. Call me a fanboy if you want, I have solid reasoning to be a fan of a quality product. Not to say I wouldnt use a NF, hell my next scope might just be a NF because of the budget Im on. They are the best scopes in the $1500 range, but please dont compare it to a USO just because SOCOM is using it, thats just silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not saying USO isn't a good optic but I'm not too impressed with the "scope only" throws. The scope doesn't way that much therefore, when landing, the scope doesn't have a shit tonne of weight landing on it. Throw it like that with the rifle attached AND LANDING ON THE SCOPE EACH TIME would be impressive. As for me, I'll stick to Nightforce...(besides my Short Dot). </div></div>

BTDT, your point.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vile Mr Bubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having just retired and worked under SOCOM for 12 years I can tell you it has nothing to do with USO. It has to do with cost vs. capability vs. timeline. If it meets the specs outlined, then how much, if both those factors are approved, then timeline. USO is every bit as quality as NF.
USO is built custom for each request and is probably not spec'd for mass production. For what it is worth, just because it is SOCOM does not mean you get the best product everytime. It is the government for God's sake. They are both great products. I'm going with USO regardless. We carried the Sig Sauer P226...not the greatest pistol in my opinion. Probably no coincidence that a Retired USN SEAL Admiral (Richards) became one of Sig Sauer's vice presidents...hmmm...go figure. </div></div>

Exactly.Hell,the HK MARK 23 was speced for SOCOM.Did they like it?Hell no!I'm a HK collector and have had a MARK 23 and just like true operators have said "it's too big and heavy".By BIGGLEE0351 rational since it was speced it must be the greatest .45 platform out there,right?

I've got 2 USO's and love them.Are they better than S&B?What's better,a Ferrari or a Lamborghini?What I like about USO is I can have it built like I want,great glass and extremely tough.What I really like is I can contact the owner of USO directly if there's a question and that he's not some faceless corporation.

Also,that he's got the confidence/balls to call out anybody that questions his product.

If JBW 3 will give me that 3.2-17 he has for sale in the classifieds I will send him my nightforce nxs 5.5-25x50 and let him beat it into little bent pieces. That would settle the arguement once and for all.

You there John?

I will send it tomorrow if you agree.

how about if the NF survives 5rds you can get the USO heh

smile.gif

John III </div></div>

How about doing the same test to a S$B and NF. Send the scopes and I'll be willing to do the testing!
grin.gif

After that second video, WOW USO FTW! (at least until the others can show video proof of the same).

Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does SOCOM using NF have to do with the fact that a USO can and will smash it?

</div></div>

Remember your military equipment was purchased from the lowest bidder!
sick.gif
</div></div>

I was thinking the same damn thing!

how bout a fight to the death using only your scope as a weapon ????

yeah anyone got the stones to do that to their S&B, Hens, PR, or NF?

maybe if we all chip in $10 we could do it.

I have tried to trade my nf for a uso for about the past 7-8 months and while people will compare them all day long no one will trade...hmmm

I know why, but unless you have them both...you wouldnt have the slightest clue. I dont know about s$b but as far as USO vs NF in a beat down contest. It would not be a contest.

I dont think there is a scope out there that could survive a USO beat down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO would smash your nightforce into little pieces and still hold a zero. </div></div>

I guess thats why SOCOM Operators use the NightForce rather often.

My post wasn't to give little fanboys an opportunity to spew. It was to state FACT. Give The former Head of the CRANE 'smithing dept a call. He just retired and he is now in the private sector. He is still privy to the current goings on there. Ask him what scopes are currently being spec'd on their builds.

Also what Engineering backround do you have to base your "smashing" statement on??? What type of "TOP SECRET" information do YOU HAVE that the CRANE ENGINEERS DO NOT HAVE????? I'm sure interested to hear your "infinte-internet" wisdom as I'm sure my fellow 'Hide memebers are. NOT TO MENTION THE CRANE ENGINEERS!!!! </div></div>

They went with NF simply because its less money for them.
wink.gif

And two, newest contract went to Premier Heritage for the USMC so dont think that NF is exclusive to our military.

I am a fan of both scopes but USO is hands down the toughest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMCj.....he has to "flex" his "In the Know" Attitude....duh
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Something about the way you word that makes me think of a certain.....pain in the ass. The kind of pain in the ass that has a cult following. </div></div>

we are more than likely thinking of the same person
grin.gif
o

BIGGLEEO351, where you at? I think JBW#3 is still waiting on your Fax number to send his FFL to get the custom built Rem you volunteered for the test...

John, waiting for my new TPAL to get in the line up to get built is driving me nuts! Hope you guys can get started soon... Can't wait!
laugh.gif

Love watching the camping hammer video when the Bushnell scope goes to pieces ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problem. You provide the scope, I'll have a custom built Remington 700 that you could mount a USO and perform the test. </div></div>

Sounds good, do you have a FAX number I can send an FFL to?
John III </div></div>

John, unlike the guy talking out of his ass. I'll send you a rifle under one condition, you send it back with a beat up t-pal........let me know

Julio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BIGGLEEO351, where you at? I think JBW#3 is still waiting on your Fax number to send his FFL to get the custom built Rem you volunteered for the test...

John, waiting for my new TPAL to get in the line up to get built is driving me nuts! Hope you guys can get started soon... Can't wait!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

And another arfcommer goes down?

From 2007:

IMG_4290.jpg

2 hours under water

IMG_4363.jpg

Hammering tent stakes

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

Scope toss, I like where it dug in at the end

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

Approximate 10 ft drop onto a concrete/gravel mix

IMG_4470.jpg

Scope drag. I ended up cleaning the dirt and stuff off the lenses after this by dunking it in the drum full of water and they were fine.

I did this way back when with my personal S&B and it survived just fine, sure I could've done it with it attached to a rifle but why break a perfectly good rifle. I ended up selling the S&B to another memeber here and I ran into him at the ASC Alumni match. He told me that S&B is still running strong and has shot some of the best groups with it that he has ever shot. Would I do this again? Probably not but it was fun.

Does USO has any military contract with a first world country?

Some of them spend big money on optics, definitely not choosing the lowest bidder.

Not a few units used, but a contract...

I think scope strenght is fine, but it is only one aspect of scope selection and there are other more important factors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does USO has any military contract with a first world country? </div></div>

HAS- no, not right now.

HAD- yes, there have been a few contracts in the past.
John III

Hmmmm.... A bit off topic, but while watching the videos on YouTube of the torture tests I noticed that all of the Hide's training videos were also posted there??? Not too good for the subscription rate! LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does USO has any military contract with a first world country? </div></div>

HAS- no, not right now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HAD- yes, there have been a few contracts in the past.</span>
John III </div></div>

JW#3, were those "past" contracts with the USMC Unertl designed scope refurbishing/maintenance (and some new units) or did you have any other military contracts with the newer, USO designed scopes?

Thank You for all the torture testing men. I can appreciate the ability of any fine piece of equipment to take a licking and keep on working. Fact is though, and assuming all things are not equal, the USO has features which I find preferable to the others, for example the EREK, and robustness of design. For me, these characteristics are well suited to certain types or rifle, and for certain uses. Other types of rifle for other uses are better served by other optics. Sometimes you want a Humvee, sometimes you want an Abrams. I want both, and I want both to work.

I love how a military contract is needed to justify product to the tacticool crowd...

I'm glad USO doesn't have a mil contract, wait time for civis would be crazy if they were supplying uncle suga'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does USO has any military contract with a first world country? </div></div>

HAS- no, not right now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HAD- yes, there have been a few contracts in the past.</span>
John III </div></div>

JW#3, were those "past" contracts with the USMC Unertl designed scope refurbishing/maintenance (and some new units) or did you have any other military contracts with the newer, USO designed scopes? </div></div>

Both. The very 1st contract we ever had was actually with the SN-4 1-4X, I built every one of them.
John III