• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO TPAL vs. No TPAL on 17x...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Search this but no avail...

What is the consensus on the TPAL, does it significantly change/dim/distort the view over the Non-TPAL version?

I think I want the TPAL version cause I like to check my mirage quickly. What say you?

Re: USO TPAL vs. No TPAL on 17x...

Without scientific maesuring equipment, I think it isnt noticable, but everyone always says the extra lenses compromises optical quality or brightness. I have used both and can not tell any difference. All my USO's are TPal from here on out. Side focus is too handy for me to pass up.

The TPAL is far too sensitive to distance changes and the parallax adjustment. If you change distances, you almost always need to change the parallax. It sucks if you're trying to do multiple target engagements, at varying distances.

The ERGO is much more forgiving.

Yes, it's harder to reach, but you need to reach it much less frequently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TPAL is far too sensitive to distance changes and the parallax adjustment.

If you change distances, you almost always need to change the parallax.

The ERGO is much more forgiving.

Yes, it's harder to reach, but you need to reach it much less frequently. </div></div>

How do you check your mirage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you check your mirage?</div></div>

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing multiple target engagements (timed), then I don't have time to recheck the mirage between each shot. If the targets get progressively further away, pay attention to the progression of your bullet impacts.

For static position, static targets (F-Class) ... Lately, I've had better luck using other indicators for my other two data points. I try to collect 3 data points for wind: @ target, @ mid, and at my firing position.

I use mirage for the target reading, I use other indicators at the mid point - like the trees and grass, and I use perceived indicators at my shooting position.

I don't like using the focus method for the mid and close points because it's a pain to recheck them. I want to touch my parallax knob as little as possible, my goal is to reduce the variables between shots. The more I touch it the more likely I am to have an inconsistent setting between shots. Sometimes the wind changes fairly quickly, and I want to get my shot off when the conditions are similar to my last shot ..... you need to be quick with that focus knob if you just took a reading at your 1/2 way mark and need to get that shot off.

I am not an expert on reading the wind, and have a lot of respect for the guys that do it well. That is the method I prefer because it seems to work for me.

I have the ergo. It is great. The focous is sharp through a wide range (What I am trying to say is that if youwant to shoot at 200 then 400 you do not have to adjust the focus.) It is plenty sharp to make accurate shots.) I would like to check the TPAL out but I am extremely pleased with the Ergo and would problally save that money and spend it elsewhere

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you check your mirage?</div></div>

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing multiple target engagements (timed), then I don't have time to recheck the mirage between each shot. If the targets get progressively further away, pay attention to the progression of your bullet impacts.

For static position, static targets (F-Class) ... Lately, I've had better luck using other indicators for my other two data points. I try to collect 3 data points for wind: @ target, @ mid, and at my firing position.

I use mirage for the target reading, I use other indicators at the mid point - like the trees and grass, and I use perceived indicators at my shooting position.

I don't like using the focus method for the mid and close points because it's a pain to recheck them. I want to touch my parallax knob as little as possible, my goal is to reduce the variables between shots. The more I touch it the more likely I am to have an inconsistent setting between shots. Sometimes the wind changes fairly quickly, and I want to get my shot off when the conditions are similar to my last shot ..... you need to be quick with that focus knob if you just took a reading at your 1/2 way mark and need to get that shot off.

I am not an expert on reading the wind, and have a lot of respect for the guys that do it well. That is the method I prefer because it seems to work for me. </div></div>

Thanks Rijndael - makes sense. My buddy has the ergo and works well, I just bought a used TPAL (the reason for the op) and now I'm interested in seeing them back to back. I'm used to the side focus from all my NFs and leupys so the ergo didn't seem right to me-- but your point is well made.