• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO vs Optolyth spotting scope?

Blackhawk 1

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am going to purchase a spotting scope and narrowed my decision down to two spotting scopes. 1st USO 15X40X60 or 2nd Optolyth compact S/G 20X60X80.Any pro's or con's information to either one of these sopes will be helpful. And on the Optolyth I have the option of straight or angled eye piece any opinions on that?

Re: USO vs Optolyth spotting scope?

Can't comment on the optolith.

My USO spotter has the same reticle as the SN-3s on my rifles.
The generous eye relief suits me. It's very well made. The durability is important to me since it gets packed and used in various conditions.

Have not had the urge to go back to a scope with an angled eyepiece.

I like my USO. The eye relief is more scope than spotting scope but I like it and having the same reticle as my scope is a big plus. It is a solid bullet proof optic.

same here on both above accounts. My USO SN3 and USO spotter both have the GAP ret. and they are awesome. You cant go wrong.

The U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Service Rifle team at Fort Benning switched over from KOWAs to the Optolyths years ago. The team members were universal in their praise for the optical excellence of the Optolyths. While at Benning, I borrowed one from them for a day. It is truly an amazing spotting scope. You will be very happy if you choose an Optolyth. For position shooting, the angled eyepiece is more comfortable to use.

Doug C,

If I understand you correctly you want an evaluation of two spotting scopes that have really vastly different functions and capabilities.

Yes, they are both spotters, but the USO has:

Reticle for ranging
60MM Objective
Weight 32 oz.
Eye relief of 63.7MM

The Optolyth has:

No reticle with the 20-60 eye piece
(Note: Optolyth does have an an optional 30x ranging reticle eye piece available in the $500. range)
80MM Objective (and HD glass available)
Weight 49 oz.
Eye relief of 20MM

Now, Optolyth is a great spotter for looking at game, and bullets holes, or for birding and you have a choice of either straight or angled eye pieces.

It is large and heavy. It has no ranging capability at all (w/the 20-60 eye piece). And the eye relief is on the short side if you are wearing glasses of any kind. And it costs around $600. more than the USO.

The USO is smaller, lighter, has full ranging capability, and is cheaper. It will be dimmer than the Optolyth, it's resolution in resolving bullet holes, game and birds will be inferior.

In short. If you need ranging capability at all, then the USO wins by default.

However, if you can live with the size, then the Optolyth 80mm w/HD glass and get the optional 30x fixed ranging eye piece as well as the 20-60 eyepiece, then the Optoplyth @ near $3K will be a superior spotter to the USO for all activities. But understand we are talking 3x the price, so it should be a better spotter.

These two are really apples and oranges, IMHO

Bob

Thanks for the information, that is the kind of feed back I needed which has helped me make my decision. Since ranging is not criticle to me and spotting bullet holes is I am going with the Optolyth. Thanks again