• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO vs. Premier vs. S&B vs. Hensoldt

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I am tired of using mediocre optics. I have a Nightforce NXS on my 308 AR but want to step up to something a little nicer for this rifle.

So I am weighing my options between these optics. It will go on my target / hunting rifle which is chambered in .308. I know these scopes are not the lightest on the market but they are all durable and should fill the dual role quite well. I only go hunting 3 or 4 times a year but I go target shooting very often 3-4 times a month.

I am looking at optics in the lower mag range to hopefully keep the weight/size down for the most part, for the USO a SN3 in 1.8-10, Premier 3-15, S&B 3-12, and Hensoldt 3-12.

Cost being no object, what is the best of this group? The Hensoldt looks really tantalizing but the lack of zero stop kind of shys me away. Plus I am not too big of a fan of the plain mil reticle. The Premier seems like the best bang for the buck but they are a newer company... S&B seems to lack a bit of elevation adjustment on their scopes and the USO's glass is probably sub-par to all of these....

Re: USO vs. Premier vs. S&B vs. Hensoldt

Another one of these threads... And I never knew NF was mediocre optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one of these threads... And I never knew NF was mediocre optics. </div></div>

I don't think NF are mediocre at all, I just want something better. The Nightforce NXS I have has been great, I am just looking for a step up from that. I was more referring to the Vortex and Bushnell scopes I have or have had.

Ford is better than Chevy...I don't know how anyone could possibly debate that fact.

what's wrong with Mil-Dot reticles?

Anyway, if your idea of hunting is sitting on your butt and waiting for something to come into field of view then weight isn't a major consideration (unless you hike for miles to get to your chair). If however you view hunting as an active verb then the Hendsoldt is the smallest, lightest and clearest glass - but it has the mil-dot reticle. YOu might also consider that the Hensoldt has probably the easiest sight picture attainment and is also the most forgiving if you happen to be aiming in an awkward position.

I had the Premier 3-15 and it's an awesome scope but it's awesomeness comes with weight and size that might throw your balance off making off-hand shots harder.

As always with optics - YMMV.

He is trying to tell you nicely that the "Tell me what to do" threads get a bit old after awhile. If you like that moniker, push forward boldly...

I am mainly trying to make an educated decision on a sizable purchase.

I live in a small town so going to peer through some of these scopes isn't an option. So I am trying to gather as much info as I can.

My kind of hunting is not sitting around, hiking several miles is not out of the question. The weight difference between the Hensoldt and the Premier is less than a pound, I am not a small guy so an extra 8-10 ounces is not going to bother me.

Use this... Link

People are tired of spoon feeding others when the threads are out there. That said, the nightforce would fill your requirements as nicely as the next scope.

Josh

Use the search feature. Plenty of info on all of them. Locking this thread. We don't need anymore of them.