• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO wait time

aggiesig

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
Seguin, TX
www.sara-tx.org
I made phone order on an ST-10 on Jan 14, mailed in my deposit. The official order submission dat was Jan 20th when my deposit was recieved...

I was quoted 8-10 weeks.

I called Becky around Valentines day asking what my approximate lead time was and to see if she needed a date
blush.gif

and I got a call last Friday saying that my scope, and all the accessories were ready for shipment.

31 days my friends!

if I ahd the thing paid in full I would already have it on my rifle, but alas the check is in the mail.

thank you USO I know I'll be pleased!

Re: USO wait time

Lucky you! I called yesterday to see the status of some repairs/upgrades. Found out they're rebuilding their clean room. 2 week downtime is what I was told.

Still a new clean room is a good thing. Don't want any dust in those scopes!

Gosh... lucky!

I normally don't call to check status, but your post gave me hope and I couldn't resist. I also submitted mine on Jan 14... just got told another 6-8 weeks
cry.gif
. I vow not to call again so they can just build scopes and not answer phones
wink.gif

man, i placed my order and it was locked in on the 12th of jan and no scope or word yet. the wait is killing me. i am so looking forward to this glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh... lucky!

I normally don't call to check status, but your post gave me hope and I couldn't resist. I also submitted mine on Jan 14... just got told another 6-8 weeks
cry.gif
wink.gif

</div></div>what did you order?

I ordered an SN-3 on December 15th and haven't heard a word yet. I was told 8 wks - its now pushing 10 wks and still no phone call from USO?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that where they build and or clean them or does it not affect the build time? </div></div>

The clean room should be the place where final assembly is done. That way dust doesn't get on any of the scopes internal elements.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't heard from USO, give them a ring. They're really nice. Right now they probably won't be able to tell you much though. Becky, told me most of the scopes were sealed away. (I'm guessing so that crap didn't get on the while the built the new clean room

I ordered my SN-3 on Dec, 1st. Becky told me mine was next in line to build, but the construction started, so no telling how long it will be. One thing for sure, it should be clean!! It's gonna be great!!
Rob

My quote is dated Jan 7 and they confirmed the money the following week. I called the other day and talked to Jeff. He told me about the clean room delay. He also said that the Horus reticle had delayed my SN-3 as well. He said to expect it about the end of March. The waiting is not fun. It does allow a person to collect more money to purchase more accessories though.

This is my first USO scope - hope its worth the wait?? I've used nothing but S&B's before, but I just had to try a USO.

Waiting sucks though!! I have my 2nd rifle from Patriot Arms all finished up, but sitting there waiting on a Badger base. It should be there tomorrow and hopefully my rifle ships on Friday or Monday. Now it seems I'll have to wait at least 2-3 wks for my scope to arrive. The first couple of months weren't bad, but when you get down to the last week or so, it really seems to drag out.

I ordered an MST-100 in July, had an email recently claiming sometime in March-maybe. Yeah, it has been a bit of a wait but I have wanted one since I was about 14 and I'm 38 now so what's a few more weeks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh... lucky!

cry.gif
wink.gif

</div></div>what did you order? </div></div>

SN-3 T-Pal
3.2-17x
Objective - 44mm
Tube - 30mm Standard
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
Eyepiece - Lo Profile / Rapid Focus
Reticle - MDMOA
Reticle Lighting Type 11 Pos Rheostat (Red)
Elevation - EREK 1/2 MOA
Windage - US#1 1/4 MOA

cool.gif

I couldn't wait so I ordered through Midway and got it in less than a week. But now I need to order a custom job from USO direct - if one is good, 2 is better!

the date was a joke, as I live in Central TX and Becky is on the West coast It would never work (not to mention my girlfriend is asleep about 40 feet from me in our house)

I'm sure mine was quick due to the model/options I chose, ST10 with Ergo, Erek Knob, MOA reticle/adjustments.

They make these ST-10's in batches almost as a "production" item to keep the cost down and just put the features you want on it.

Either that or some likeminded individual just defaulted on their spot in line for an identical scope...

holy shit!!!!!! i couldn't take it and had to call and it just so happens my glass was finished today. i am so freaking excited.

i ordered a mst-100 in early jan, you people need to stop bothering the folks down there so they can finnish my build..haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DISCO57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i ordered a mst-100 in early jan, you people need to stop bothering the folks down there so they can finnish my build..haha </div></div>
Hey Disco57, I assume you mean January of this year? Did you get an estimated delivery date from USO?

Maybe someone can answer this one for me. I ordered my sn3 on feb 13th and was told 6-8 weeks. Then the clean room thing happened and was pushed back 10-12 weeks. 2 weeks ago I called and everything was good to go for the start of the mid may build and I was just told my becky today that my build was just pushed back till mid June. Didn't give me a reason just said it was pushed back. Does anyone have any idea why my scope keeps getting delayed?

Everyone,
We are extremely busy over here, not only building scopes, but training employees at the same time so the wait times will go down in the future. We have never been able to just pull someone off the street and have them be able to build a scope in a day, there is a serious learing curve.

Please all be patient, we are working as fast as we can.

Also, I know you are all very excited to get your scopes, but everytime we have to stop and check on someones order when they call, it only delays the whole process.
Thanks guys,
John III

An old quote from The Princess Bride movie

"Inigo Montoya: Let me 'splain.

Inigo Montoya: No, there is too much. Let me sum up."

You <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">can not</span></span> have ALL three only <span style="font-style: italic">two</span>
(1)QUALITY
(2)VALUE PRICED ITEM
or
(3)FAST SERVICE............. I pick 1&2 and i think its best that way,
for US Optics.

Please don't hurry on mine. Take all the time you need. #8353

Placed my order for a 1.8x10 T-Pal on 1/19/09. Now in my 15th week. Should have had it the week before last per my last PM from JBW#3 but still waiting. It should be fine. I once waited for 14 months for a rifle guess it's not so bad, I think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, I know you are all very excited to get your scopes, but everytime we have to stop and check on someones order when they call, it only delays the whole process.
Thanks guys,
John III </div></div>

I own 5 USO scopes, are they great? I can't tell you I'm not an wiz, but I am myself in the service business and looking at the post above I wouldn't stand for it,a person that works with me tells a customer that.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Calling delays the process ?</span>
Well if it was my company I would have my associates call the customers and tell them it is delayed and the reason for it.
I guess i have seen this answer in this post or another but customer service in my book is king....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Placed my order for a 1.8x10 T-Pal on 1/19/09. Now in my 15th week. Should have had it the week before last per my last PM from JBW#3 but still waiting. It should be fine. I once waited for 14 months for a rifle guess it's not so bad, I think? </div></div>

Well that sucks. Hoping mine ships on schedule. I dont mind waiting, but hopefully not more than 10 weeks.

I also agree that calling to check on a build that has not been delivered on time should have no impact whatsoever on the build process.

Maybe I am stupid, but I do not see the correlation.

I own my own business with production crews, and if a customer calls to check on a date, my office personnel handles the call. The production crews are definitely not slowed down. I certainly would not tell a customer that if they call to check on something that has not been delivered within the given time frame it will only delay things further.

I ordered a scope on January 15th and was told 12 weeks. I called last week (15 weeks later), and was told that my build had not been started yet.

They handled my call very professionally, but I would have appreciated a phone call to let me know they were running this far behind schedule.

My .02

I don't mind waiting... But I really can't stand waiting for I don't know how long. I agree with the last few posts. I called today for an update on my MST-100 build and all I really got was a runaround, sorry to say. They could'nt even tell me if I was in the next batch to be assembled out of a list of 100. How can you not know that? I don't get it? If you tell the customer a certain time frame, and you run behind schedule...you need to make the customer aware of that ! The Customer might need to make other arrangements until product is delivered. I'm not bashing but that's not the way I would do things. I feel like I'm hangin on a limb and I paid the bill in full !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone,
We are extremely busy over here, not only building scopes, but training employees at the same time so the wait times will go down in the future. We have never been able to just pull someone off the street and have them be able to build a scope in a day, there is a serious learing curve.

Thanks guys,
John III </div></div>

Please take your time with my scope, quality work is want I want not quantity work done quickly.....if I wanted a scope in a hurry I would have gone with another Loopy. I am patient and will not call you even after the 14 weeks I was quoted until Sept rolls around and I am moving. I have been treated well by all of you.

I remember waiting for 4 months after I placed my order and paid my money. And then calling to check on it. It is human nature.

However, in a small business with limited front office personnel, and them having to go to the bench guys to stop what they are doing and ask where the build in question is in the stack.....I can see where that slows down the work flow a bit. Not as much as a cig break but a bit.

I found out later that there were two parts for my scope holding up the build. Once they got them in mine was top of the stack. After it was built it was tested and inspected a few times before it was shipped.

I have now shot better than a thousand rounds behind that scope and it is a work of art. I even use it as a handle to grab the rifle sometimes when I have to jump and run. I don't advise that as a common practice but the scope has held up fine. I even broke a set of 6 screw Seekins rings on this scope and the scope is none the worse for the wear. I use the USO rings now.

Bide your time, it will be worth the wait.

I know it's worth the wait. I just like to be "in the know". I wasn't expecting it until June... but If it's going to be August... I need to know that. Guy's are asking for updates in the MST-100 thread and aren't getting any real info. One guy got the call around March 6th that his scope was ready to ship and he didn't get it until April 22nd or something..

Guys the scope is worth the wait. They build one of the finest scopes. I have a S&B great scope but the US Optics you can build exactly what you want. Great people and One of the Best Customer Service Dept you will find in any Industry. Just be patient. I got one of mine and still one is on order. Qauility

My SN3 was orderd in Dec of 08. I was originally told 6-8 weeks. It is now May 09 and no scope yet.

I ordered my ST-10 on 13 March and was quoted 12 weeks. Luckly I am in no hurry yet. But if it stretches into July to far I will start wondering a bit. So far no big deal to wait.

Good things take time right?

I don't think people are saying the scopes aren't good.I think the issue is the promise times that aren't kept. If you really need the scope for something and is isn't ready for a few month later you might had purchased elsewhere.It would suck to have a rifle and no scope.

If they are too busy to keep you updated when buying a high dollar item as these are it makes you wonder,I think most people understand delays but not being informed is rather wrong.Being told not to call because they are behind and it will only delay you getting your scope is totally wrong.I would guess then everytime they get a new order it delays your order.

So maybe if everyone stops ordering for a bit they can get caught up on the delayed orders.Doesn't sound right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the USO girls on video-phone and problem solved!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

yeah put the video girls on yahoo messenger that way they can answer 100 of calls at the same time. maybe wet t-shirts that say uso worth the wait.

Guys,
I feel your frustrations, and like wise I have the same.

I'll try to explain why calling slows down the process. Each scope is built by a single individual, and there are 9 individuals assembling scopes right now. Most of the time they are building 2 or 3 that are similar. So when the secretary gets a phone call about status, the only scopes she will know off the top of her head are the ones shipping or about ready to ship. So she needs to get up, go back into the assembly department, and ask Arnold where the scope is in process. If Arnold doesn't have the answer he then goes to each of the guys benches and looks at their work orders. If none of the assemblers are building the scope, then he must go into the list of work orders to see where that order is in the line up. Ya, this may only take 5 minutes, but try doing it 20 times a day.

We will get your scopes out as fast as we possibly can, but please be patient while we catch up.

As for the MST-100's these have to be engraved by me personally and hand fitted by either myself, Nick or Arnold, so these do move a bit slower. We are also at the mercy of the Teflon coaters, they have a tendancy to take a long time. Then we have to paint the damn things, which I have nothing to do with because I suck at it......what I am trying to say is they take forever.

Not trying to make excuses, just letting you guys know what is happening.
Thanks,
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would suck to have a rifle and no scope.
<span style="color: #3333FF">I keep a backup scope or two around.......</span>

If they are too busy to keep you updated when buying a high dollar item as these are it makes you wonder,I think most people understand delays but not being informed is rather wrong.
<span style="color: #3333FF">Try getting status/time updates from S&B when your scope is in Germany for a warranty repair</span>......

Being told not to call because they are behind and it will only delay you getting your scope is totally wrong.I would guess then everytime they get a new order it delays your order.
<span style="color: #3366FF">The cost of USO scopes is in the quality. Perhaps if they cut back on quality they could spend the money and/or time on a nice computer order and work order tracking system, or hire more CS professionals...... Personally I'd rather have them building scopes.

USO isn't the only mfr of finely crafted kit that's pointed out that phone calls from status checks adds to the workload, creating more delay</span>.

So maybe if everyone stops ordering for a bit they can get caught up on the delayed orders.Doesn't sound right.

<span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Suggesting <span style="font-size: 14pt">out of the side of your neck that people boycott USO until they clear their workload doesn't sound right either</span></span></span>.</div></div>

I think it's high quality expectations + numerous options = longer lead times in production.

If you've ever taken a tour of McMillan's shop you'd know they have the same issue with long lead times, status checks, and order changes during production. The only way to know where a particular stock is, is by having one of their production workers leave their work area to go on a giant Easter Egg hunt because they are the only ones who truly have their hands on the item. Now, times that by numerous calls & e-mails from other customers, builders, and vendors. McMillan said they ship out about 10,000 stocks a year and note that every stock is also handmade with hand-laid fiberglass with an ass load of different styles, configurations, colors, patterns, fills, inlets, and other options. Kind of like USO in a way but without a cleanroom.

If USO's scopes or McMillan's stocks were offered as "no optioned" cookie-cutter items that were squirted out of some assembly line in China, it would be easy to say they'd ship out a heck of a lot faster. Keeping the high level of quality that one expects and affording the myriad of personalized options that customers request just takes more time. Compound that with status checks, even the legitimate ones, throughout the day and that eats a lot of production time. Hiring more people is not necessarily the best solution either. It can drive the cost up even more.

It's a niche market. It's specialized. It takes time to make and takes time to make them at that level. It takes time to make what the customer wants due to so many different options. It's always going to be a pain to wait.

I'd hate to see another US owned & operated company compromise their quality for huge profits or settle for mediocrity. God knows we've seen a lot of that recently.

Just my dos centavos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would suck to have a rifle and no scope.
<span style="color: #3333FF">I keep a backup scope or two around.......</span>

If they are too busy to keep you updated when buying a high dollar item as these are it makes you wonder,I think most people understand delays but not being informed is rather wrong.
<span style="color: #3333FF">Try getting status/time updates from S&B when your scope is in Germany for a warranty repair</span>......

Being told not to call because they are behind and it will only delay you getting your scope is totally wrong.I would guess then everytime they get a new order it delays your order.
<span style="color: #3366FF">The cost of USO scopes is in the quality. Perhaps if they cut back on quality they could spend the money and/or time on a nice computer order and work order tracking system, or hire more CS professionals...... Personally I'd rather have them building scopes.

USO isn't the only mfr of finely crafted kit that's pointed out that phone calls from status checks adds to the workload, creating more delay</span>.

<span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Suggesting <span style="font-size: 14pt">out of the side of your neck that people boycott USO until they clear their workload doesn't sound right either</span></span></span>.</div></div> </div></div>

Well I guess im just a dumbass ......First off if they dont have a PC system they are behind the times....
S&B yes maybe you can't call them ....but hell I can find a dealer who has one in stock and get it next day.....

Quality and the prices WTF does that have to do with customer service......grow up

Did I suggest any boycott USO never said it was a bad scope......But they take orders miss promise dates and dont even call and the poor girl who answers the phone doesnt know what to say .......It's all communication

I have not bashed USO but from your post I have

Konabully and Buldog, me too.