• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO windage maxed out?

dukedurham

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
When I went to zero my SN-3, I had to dial on a ton of windage adjustment, just to get to zero. So much so that I have no more numbers on the stem under the turret. Did I do something wrong here? It shoots well enough, almost 3/4 moa w/me driving(kinda new still), but i'm worried something wrong. Please, advise what I might need to look for.... Thanks, Duke.

Re: USO windage maxed out?

Did you have to add alot of windage on your other scopes on that rifle? If it is a factory Rem the scope mount holes might be crooked as this happens often. You might need to have the opened and trued.

No, not really Rob. It's a Savage model 12 with a TPS 20 moa base and Acculock rings. I had a cheap(i'll get by with this until I can get something better) scope that didn't take nearly as much knob turning. If I get the chance, i'll look at the .308 and see what that one looks like, but I dont remember having to use that much windage to zero that one either. Something just doesn't feel right about this. *Side bar... It did great with the 55g V-max's on the groundhogs today, 2 for 2.

Did you change out the base or rings? If you haven't had a scope on it before, my first thought would be the holes are not drilled correctly.

tines- yes sir, had a scope on it before, so i'm pretty sure that the holes are fairly well straight. I just e-mailed Doc 76251 to ask some questions. We'll se what he says to do. I just hope I didn't F up bad. Dammit im still nervous about it.

Is it possible that one of the rings was put on backwards? I only ask because I've seen it done! Poor guy was ready to trash his NCStar until I pointed out the problem... Still not sure if I helped, probably should have let him throw the scope down range! haha

It should be pretty close to mechanical zero.

Do this, turn the turret all the way right and count the revolutions/clicks. Then turn the turret all the way to the left and count the revolutions/clicks. Then count the revolutions/clicks back to your zero.

Then report back to us.

All- thaanks for the tips. After talking to doc76251, per his request, i spun the wind in from my zero and recorded values and did the same from zero out. I'll be dern if it won't real close to centered up!! I guess i was just worried because I didn't see any more numbers on the stem past 5. All is well in my head now, and a big thanks to doc and all you guys. Nine Hotel, if you read this, thanks again bro. See you all on the range sometime, i hope. Duke.