• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USPS experience with actions lost in transit.

Bandit31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
Has anyone had an action/ or serialized part of a firearm lost by USPS ( or any other shipper) and could outline the experience?

I recently had a barrel lost in transit after having some work performed. My dilemma is shipping the action ( Stiller Tac30) out to be rebarreled and it being lost since it can’t readily take pre-fits. There is some sentimental value to the action so my concern would be zero chance of recovery if it was to be lost getting a replacement barrel.

Unfortunately with the new UPS and FedEx rules, you can’t use them to ship a firearm unless you have an account with an FFL with them.

You could get a prepaid label from the gunsmith or use shipmygun if you want to use UPS.

But I think I’d ship USPS express / overnight and insure it. The faster it goes the less time it has to go missing

Unfortunately with the new UPS and FedEx rules, you can’t use them to ship a firearm unless you have an account with an FFL with them.

You could get a prepaid label from the gunsmith or use shipmygun if you want to use UPS.

But I think I’d ship USPS express / overnight and insure it. The faster it goes the less time it has to go missing
🤫 loose lips sink ships my friend

I shipped a rifle USPS a few months back. It went missing for 5 days. I complained about it and mysteriously it showed back up on tracking a few hours later.

Now maybe it was just overlooked until I complained. But who knows. I hate shipping anything USPS

Reactions: BenE
Years ago I had several guns never make it to their destination (stolen) while shipping with USPS. Luckily they were insured, and while they initially denied the $3000 claim, after some hounding they did pay out. Luckily the guns had no sentimental value and I just bought new ones.

🤫 loose lips sink ships my friend

But this is about the OP being concerned about a lost shipment. If he lies about the contents it would be impossible for him to file a claim and even think about getting compensation

They are government crooks.
Make it impossible to talk to anyone,Denys claims if they want and when they pay in my few experiences it’s been 30-40 percent even with receipts.

But this is about the OP being concerned about a lost shipment. If he lies about the contents it would be impossible for him to file a claim and even think about getting compensation
The package contains specialized precision machined parts

Yep. Ive had a few items lost in transit over the years and each time I was asked to provide receipts of what was lost and the value.

For whatever reason, I’ve had multiple packages that haven’t been scanned between the time they were picked up/ received and then out for delivery.

Even if I shipped UPS/ FedEx, they’ve been a total pain in the ass recovering any funds for lost or damaged items and the shipping insurance that I filed the claim through for the barrel and other items in the past has been less of a hassle than having to deal with the post office directly.

Last edited:
Fair enough. LuvDog has a good solution with having your smith send a shipping label. I wouldn’t trust USPS with anything.

I’ve had shit experiences with all of them. My concern would just be the action being declared a loss and the shipping company not put forth any effort in retrieving it. It seems by just some of the responses it could go either way.

With this barrel, USPS provided me with a written response they lost it and to submit a claim even before their own guidelines suggested to do so. On the surface, it seems like they didn’t really want to find it. If it turns up, sweet, but if not, I’m put in the position to replace it without anyone local to do so.

Last edited:
Somebody at the usps is enjoying my rs9 suppressor tax and wait free. Fuckers lol.

Seller insured it. Started processing for a new one. Pain in the ass since class 3 new serialized number etc obviously.

Would not recommend...

Do any of you think the only thing being lost / stolen are rifle parts ?
America is becoming a third world country. You best adapt or lose.
No one at any shipping company gives a rat's ass about your lost shipment.
They have not only refused to ship firearms parts. They have shifted the liability to the shipper, not the shipping company.
Basically they can't make any money being tied up discussing your lost stuff.
No one is going to take care of your shit (parts, money, children, vehicle, home security, etc) like you do. You are dreaming if you think they will.
Why do you think there are so many request right here saying "Looking for a local smith to do some work"?
Can anyone imagine how many firearms are lost / stolen with a large operation like Bud's Gun Shop, where the logo is printed on the box ?
Roll the dice, Big Boy......

Highlights. Package thefts totaled 119 million in 2023, equivalent to one out of every 200 package deliveries. Collectively, Americans lost $13.4 billion to package theft; the average stolen package was worth $112.30. 14% or 1-in-7 Americans lost package deliveries to theft in 2022. Feb 18, 2024

Do any of you think the only thing being lost / stolen are rifle parts ?
America is becoming a third world country. You best adapt or lose.
No one at any shipping company gives a rat's ass about your lost shipment.
They have not only refused to ship firearms parts. They have shifted the liability to the shipper, not the shipping company.
Basically they can't make any money being tied up discussing your lost stuff.
No one is going to take care of your shit (parts, money, children, vehicle, home security, etc) like you do. You are dreaming if you think they will.
Why do you think there are so many request right here saying "Looking for a local smith to do some work"?
Can anyone imagine how many firearms are lost / stolen with a large operation like Bud's Gun Shop, where the logo is printed on the box ?
Roll the dice, Big Boy......

Highlights. Package thefts totaled 119 million in 2023, equivalent to one out of every 200 package deliveries. Collectively, Americans lost $13.4 billion to package theft; the average stolen package was worth $112.30. 14% or 1-in-7 Americans lost package deliveries to theft in 2022. Feb 18, 2024

I do wonder how much of the lost packages are just outright fraud. Recipients claiming a package was never received when it was.

I had 2 chassis that were shipped back to a customer via fedex that were insured, and signature required. Despite that fedex supposedly delivered them to a post office and left them leaning against an outside door. I filed the insurance claim, which was promptly auto denied. I called and said "what's going on", and the CS rep said it was auto denied because it was signature required. She realized how stupid that was, and re-opened the claim, and said that I had to state the contents of the package, and list values and provide purchase receipts. I told her that I was returning products that I had performed a service on, and therefore there were no purchase receipts. They approved my claim, and cut a check that I had to call 3 times to get because the first 2 never seemed to ever arrive for some reason (shocker).

My understanding, is that the insurance claiming process is made to be a massive hassle for a reason, they want you to give up. It's all by design, and just like Hobo Hilton says...they don't care about you, or your stuff.

Branden

At least I’m my local ONLY ffls can ship firearms via usps.
And fedex here flat out refuses.
No choice but UPS.

I did recently have a valuable ( and insured ) package disappear for 3 weeks enroute.
I discovered that usps does have a pretty good system of accountability and recovery of lost packages. Despite the knuckle heads they employ..

Reactions: DIBBS
Rifles can be shipped by USPS NOT pistols unless you are an FFL. Read this and ship it registered like vh20 said

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns​

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    1. Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
    2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  2. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  3. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  4. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  5. Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  6. Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
  7. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

Long guns are fine with the postal service, and the best service is Registered Mail. Insure for the whole value or whatever you can reasonably prove.

Never lost one this way but be prepared… price does not come with lube.

I’m pasting something from an email from a vendor I work with sometimes. I don’t know any further details and haven’t looked into whether or not it’s accurate.

“USPS are currently downsizing.

This means they cannot process packages in a timely manner. We heavily advise that you use UPS/FedEx/DHL for your orders.

For reference, we have packages dating back to March 4th they have picked up but still not scanned in yet.

If we or you try to contact them, they will immediately state the package is lost and to contact the seller to resolve the situation.

The issue is these packages are not lost and they are not honoring their claims due to that. Their customer support can only reference the tracking page as well. It is an awful situation and we heavily suggest not using their services currently.

If this applies to one of your current shipments, we will do our best to help you out. These issues just put us in an odd situation. We hope you can understand

USPS REGISTERED mail requires a signature from everyone who handles it, and it is locked up in a locker between stations. It has historically been one of the safest ways to ship something of value.
I've had two registered shipments lost in less than three months time. Both were eventually found after more than a month, by which time I'd already given up hope and moved on. The amount of time spent trying to get a reimbursement is ridiculous. For having tracking, its amazing that no one knows anything, or can find a package. Everyone works different shifts so they aren't available to ask so it takes days for responses. Pretty much, knowing its the government is the final answer for how well I expect it to work. I'm a UPS fan, but understand the legal hoops one should follow.

I’m pasting something from an email from a vendor I work with sometimes. I don’t know any further details and haven’t looked into whether or not it’s accurate.

“USPS are currently downsizing.

This means they cannot process packages in a timely manner. We heavily advise that you use UPS/FedEx/DHL for your orders.

For reference, we have packages dating back to March 4th they have picked up but still not scanned in yet.

If we or you try to contact them, they will immediately state the package is lost and to contact the seller to resolve the situation.

The issue is these packages are not lost and they are not honoring their claims due to that. Their customer support can only reference the tracking page as well. It is an awful situation and we heavily suggest not using their services currently.

If this applies to one of your current shipments, we will do our best to help you out. These issues just put us in an odd situation. We hope you can understand
This is exactly what happened in the situation with my barrel so there must be some merit to it. Fortunately by barrel just randomly showed up at my door earlier but there was no tracking data to be referenced since it was accepted by usps on its way back.

I've had two registered shipments lost in less than three months time. Both were eventually found after more than a month, by which time I'd already given up hope and moved on. The amount of time spent trying to get a reimbursement is ridiculous. For having tracking, its amazing that no one knows anything, or can find a package. Everyone works different shifts so they aren't available to ask so it takes days for responses. Pretty much, knowing its the government is the final answer for how well I expect it to work. I'm a UPS fan, but understand the legal hoops one should follow.
How the fuck do they lose registered mail.

It has to be signed for.

Whoever signed for it last should be fired and have civil criminal charges.

Guess in the future for expensive stuff il
Just do ups FedEx overnight

And make sure it’s itemized with Eastern Insurance

Good question. First time I thought it was a fluke. But, there is no accountability. No one responsible. Can't talk to the person who should know. Every call I made took at least a hour, and then it was "that persons shift is now off" so it'd take a couple days more to get a non answer generic email response.
Honestly, what else do I expect from our government today lol. Free market is the only way we'll get efficiency and responsibility. Highly unlikely IMHO.
If you can't ban guns, then pressure "private" businesses to ban handling them and accessories.

Reactions: BurtG
I've had two registered shipments lost in less than three months time.
Not sure how that happens as it's slow walked from place to place and everyone who touches the package is eventually responsible for it. Diamonds, Gold, Silver, Swiss Watches and other very valuable items are shipped this way every day. I sent a Gold Eagle about 8 months ago from Florida to Pennsylvania and it took almost 8 days. I don't doubt your experience but it is truly the safest way to ship expensive/valuable items.

Hmm, wasn't aware that was how it worked. So, now I'm even more irritated to know they "couldn't find it".
Both times it eventually showed up, but in excess of a month. Actually, one was exactly a month, the other, plus a few days.
Knowing this, maybe its worth trying again, knowing there is actually a trail of responsible employees. Honestly, the customer service times I spent trying to get them to find it totally soured me on ever using them again. I've shipped a fair amount of precious metals through UPS, with great results.
Appreciate the info. I may give them a try again someday.

Hmm, wasn't aware that was how it worked. So, now I'm even more irritated to know they "couldn't find it".
Both times it eventually showed up, but in excess of a month. Actually, one was exactly a month, the other, plus a few days.
Knowing this, maybe its worth trying again, knowing there is actually a trail of responsible employees. Honestly, the customer service times I spent trying to get them to find it totally soured me on ever using them again. I've shipped a fair amount of precious metals through UPS, with great results.
Appreciate the info. I may give them a try again someday.
Not to belabor the point, but we are talking REGISTERED mail (not Priority, Express, 2nd Day Air, etc)? They all have tracking, but only REGISTERED mail requires the signature of everyone who handles the package, and requires the package be locked up at each station.

I just got a package with parts for an engine I'm building. Picked it up, it was WAY lighter than it should have been. Opened it up and there was fucking Lancome eyelash stuff. When I called the vendor, the guy said "funny, this is the second one of these this week". I think someone at the local UPS depot recognizes the shipper and knows its stuff they can sell. Slits open the bottom of the box, drops the stuff out, and retapes it. Why they put the other stuff in is beyond me, unless it's other crap they've stolen they don't want LOL

Reactions: BurtG
I own the only known example of a rifle and I shipped it USPS registered mail and demanded the same for return shipping.

It is the only form of shipping where I have yet to see an error.

Just read the facts from mewillis. Couple things stand out as they were both issues I ran into trying to find my two packages.

"Delivery information provides delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination. Tracking is not provided as the item is en route to its destination."

"A system of receipts is provided to monitor movement of mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. These receipts are not readily available and can only be accessed by initiating a claims form, which cannot be completed by phone."

I do believe they were both registered. It was my intention to get them sent registered. But, since several people have pointed out how its supposed to work, it does seem less likely. Honestly, at this point its been a couple years since I fought this battle with them. I can't 100% guarantee it.
I do 100% think its the case, especially as I ran into the two issues quoted above. But, I didn't know the facts of how its supposed to work when I was trying to locate my packages. Just felt like an infinite run around.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that most people are pretty confident in registered. Makes me think it might be worth trying again. I'd pretty much given up on usps.

USPS don’t give two shits about your pacakage regardless of how it was sent. The week before last, I mailed a gun to a shop with 2 day priority and a buttload of insurance, signature.

Dropped package off March 6th. Was accepted and shipped to next sorting station same day.

That’s the last it was heard from for almost 8 days! USPS couldn’t find it, no shipping updates, nothing.

Finally broke down and said my next call is to the ATF cause you clowns just lost a firearm. Magically got a reply from the Consumer affairs lady, who said she was tirelessly looking for my package.

Out of nowhere, the update status said “out for delivery” and it showed up on March 15th. Not bad for 2 day priority. Fuck USPS, UPS, and FedEx. They don’t give a fuck about you or your package

USPS don’t give two shits about your pacakage regardless of how it was sent. The week before last, I mailed a gun to a shop with 2 day priority and a buttload of insurance, signature.

Dropped package off March 6th. Was accepted and shipped to next sorting station same day.

That’s the last it was heard from for almost 8 days! USPS couldn’t find it, no shipping updates, nothing.

Finally broke down and said my next call is to the ATF cause you clowns just lost a firearm. Magically got a reply from the Consumer affairs lady, who said she was tirelessly looking for my package.

Out of nowhere, the update status said “out for delivery” and it showed up on March 15th. Not bad for 2 day priority. Fuck USPS, UPS, and FedEx. They don’t give a fuck about you or your package
This is 100% on point. Prior to Covid, UPS was by far the best for me. Since the Covid scam, they all suck equally bad. Delivery estimates are routinely missed, tracking sucks on all of them, and heaven's forbid you want to speak with someone. If you are lucky enough to get a human on the line, good luck understanding a fucking word they are saying since most are overseas.

This is 100% on point. Prior to Covid, UPS was by far the best for me. Since the Covid scam, they all suck equally bad. Delivery estimates are routinely missed, tracking sucks on all of them, and heaven's forbid you want to speak with someone. If you are lucky enough to get a human on the line, good luck understanding a fucking word they are saying since most are overseas.
Sad fact but they believe by restricting the flow of 2A items, they can stop people from getting it more readily. Just another anti 2A trick to erode your rights.

I can’t imagine them just liking the amount of lost revenue and turning a blind eye to it. When the bottom lines get a little closer to home, I feel some policies might reverse

Reactions: Arc Light