• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

usps m.o. question

jeff1383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
Frisco, TX
I see alot of the sellers on here prefer payment method this way. Anything to protect the buyer this way or just keep my fingers crossed?

Re: usps m.o. question

Yep. If I'm not mistaken. If they cash it and don't send your goods it's considered a federal crime.

There is absolutely NO way for the buyer to provide security for themselves using a USPS MO. A MO is an excellent secure method for the seller, but accountability is extremely poor for the buyer.

A fairly current 'lost/stolen' list is posted inside the PO for clerks to reference (they have to make up losses if they cash stolen or bogus MOs).

The buyer can't stop a MO or track it. It can be traced ONLY when 30 days(?) have passed from the date of sale, and the Postal "Service" charges a fee to initiate a trace/search. Last I recall, it was a $5 fee (that's late 1980's or early 90's as I recall). I dunno if 30 days is still the minimum--that recollection is from the 80's or 90's, too.

If I REALLY want to complete a transaction where a MO is demanded by the seller, I'll use USPS Registered Mail which requires an ID and signature for delivery. RM is "infallible"--clerks don't wanna screw with postal Inspectors about the validity of an RM transaction so they limit delivery to the addressee only and only with serial numbered ID for record-keeping. I've never had anyone attempt to tamper with RM and the inspectors, but it's "expensive", at ~ $11 now. On the other hand, that's probably only $5-7 more than Certified w/Return Receipt &/or Delivery Confirmation, neither of which get a rise out of the Inspectors like RM. I used to work the postal windows for 3 years--my knowledge is from experience.

Good to know...I guess $11 bucks won't be to pricey to somewhat give me peace of.mind for a 1300$ m.o.

^^ Where do you come up with this? Maybe things have changed since your time, but i'm surprised to hear this from a postal employee because i've had the opposite experience with all my payments online sales/purchases. I buy/sell enough stuff each year that the amount probably adds up to the value of a nice automobile.

The whole point of USPS MO is that it protects both parties. It's certified funds for the seller, so they don't get snookered... and it's a hedge for the buyer, because if a seller cashes one and doesn't deliver the item he's just committed mail fraud (a felony federal offense, btw).

Last time I had to do it, the time limit was 2 weeks after issue to file a claim against a money order, and $5 PLUS an additional 2-ish weeks of waiting for their "investigation" to conclude before reimbursement. YMMV, I know my postal clerks pretty well since I ship things several times a week.

The serial # list is updated daily IIRC, especially since there was a recent batch of fraudulent MO's in circulation. I know that they ALWAYS check them here, i've never had one questioned though.

I've yet to be hosed on a USPS MO, they are the only physical payment I accept (except cash FTF), for the same reason I only take one type of electronic payment (PayPal, because they have done good to protect me from some shady e-bay folk).

The only hassle i've run into with an MO is being stuck holding the bag for a while until they replace it on a "lost/destroyed" claim. That and having them in large amounts that they can't cash out of their registers, so I have to take 'em to the bank.

I've had stuff lost, but in the end I still like USPS more than big brown. Their is a reason their trucks are the color of dogshit. Only a company with that as their standard could scan a 6-month old, half-torn, completely blacked-out label (partially covered by the new one I might add) in order to send my own box to me from across town... and it still took them a week. Of course Fed-ex ran over my plasma cutter with a forklift, so...

If you make a copy of the USPS MO, and insure the MEMO section has the name, address, and what its for on it, you are protected so long as you have email communication(or other printable matter) that outlines the transaction. If you do not receive your items, it then becomes mail fraud which is indeed a federal crime. The issue, though, can be easily resolved in Small Claims since the burden of proof is less than civil or criminal court.
This has been my experience when I asked the same question to an individual I did business with who was a lawyer and knew his stuff. It is the main reason many of my USPS MO's were marked in teh same way, as well as retianing the receipt stub AND insuring it was sent SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. All steps in place to protect against mail fraud