• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USPSA .38SC Roll Sizing

powerspc

It Sounded Like a Good Idea at the Time
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2018
    Might be too specific a question but is there anyone shooting .38 Super Comp in USPSA Major that is roll sizing or thinking about roll sizing? I'm well versed in the conceptual theory of it but I am looking for whatever anecdotal evidence I can collect on;
    • Does it prolong brass life?
    • Does it create a more reliably feeding round?
    • Does it create a more consistent result when sizing the brass?
    • Are there any other advantageous I am missing?
    • Disadvantageous? (other than cost or adding an extra step, I have the time and the money)
    All comments welcome from folks roll sizing any caliber for any reason. Thanks in advance! :)

I don't know if 38 SC would be any different but I've never roll sized my 38 Super Auto brass and never had a problem. That would be over 100,000 rounds. My cartridges would not fit in a check gauge but fit the chamber fine.

I suppose you could get a slight edge in feeding reliability

Reactions: powerspc
    38 sc major can be pretty tough on brass. Roll sizing helped brass pass the case gauge for more loads. But honestly, brass attrition is pretty high in run and gun sports. It helped the 1050 run a lot smoother, but at the end of the day probably not "worth it". I lost most brass before the roll sizer would have actually fixed anything. So to answer the questions directly,

1. I'm not sure, but if your load+gun bulges brass most likely.
    2. Likely the same answer as above. If I had feeding issues though, I had a broken gun.
    3. This I can say yes to fairly confidently. I use a u-die with a pretty pronounced coke bottle effect to make sure I don't get any setback. Rounds are nice and straight doing the sizing in 2 steps. (roll first, then press die)

Nothing I can think of for the last 2.

38 sc major can be pretty tough on brass. Roll sizing helped brass pass the case gauge for more loads. But honestly, brass attrition is pretty high in run and gun sports. It helped the 1050 run a lot smoother, but at the end of the day probably not "worth it". I lost most brass before the roll sizer would have actually fixed anything. So to answer the questions directly,

1. I'm not sure, but if your load+gun bulges brass most likely.
    2. Likely the same answer as above. If I had feeding issues though, I had a broken gun.
    3. This I can say yes to fairly confidently. I use a u-die with a pretty pronounced coke bottle effect to make sure I don't get any setback. Rounds are nice and straight doing the sizing in 2 steps. (roll first, then press die)

Nothing I can think of for the last 2.
    Thanks for this; I’ve pretty much talked myself into one and if I’m being honest partly because I love gadgets and I don’t already have one. But mostly because I think it makes sense. To draw a poor analogy it seems a bit like neck turning. Plenty of people do it (guilty) even though there appears to be scant if any evidence it makes a material difference downrange. But my argument has always been the more consistent your components the more consistent the end product and consistency is key especially in the long range game.

Where I’m shooting USPSA most of the time I think my brass collection will be fairly high, so there’s that as well. But in the end, restoring the brass to ‘near exact’ SAAMI specs prior to reloading it just seems to make sense. Again, much appreciated!

For sure get one.

They make the rounds stack easier in the mags and it feeds easier/smoother.

I roll size every caliber I can.

I had a case pro for about 20 years and loved it, but the roll sizer is about a million times faster.

The reason you roll size is to make progressive loading easier. The sizing effort is greatly reduced and it makes press cycling smooth.

The reason you roll size is to make progressive loading easier. The sizing effort is greatly reduced and it makes press cycling smooth.

Easier resizing is just a fringe benefit. Easier resizing isnt terribly noticeable on a tapered case like 9x19.

Resizing the very bottom of the case, where dies cant get to, is the main job of a rollsizer.

Easier resizing is just a fringe benefit. Easier resizing isnt terribly noticeable on a tapered case like 9x19.

Resizing the very bottom of the case, where dies cant get to, is the main job of a rollsizer.

Maybe if you’re loading bitch boy loads. If you load major pf the brass is difficult to size especially 9mm if you use dies that are are actually able to size the case all the way down.

Maybe if you’re loading bitch boy loads. If you load major pf the brass is difficult to size especially 9mm if you use dies that are are actually able to size the case all the way down.

Good luck to you.

30df34ed9275bf176a29a4b4764811fc.jpg

But seriously thanks for the input; I did end up ordering a Rollsizer and then doubled-down and ordered a Rollsizer Decapper as well (second only to getting kicked in the balls, decapping is my least favorite activity). Whether it will make any difference or not who knows, but if nothing else it should be fun watching it run.