• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Utah 2013, ELR report

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I took a long weekend and went out to visit my old friend Stephen in Park City,Utah.
We hooked up with Sinister(Dave) from here on the hide and headed out the the west desert for some quality time behind our rifles. We had previously connected at 12-1400 on previous jaunts out to the desert and we hoped that we'd be able to ring steel at a mile on this trip. I also wanted to see just how far I could run a .224 bore and still connect. This was my third trip out and by far the most successful outing. I'm hoping that Dave will correct or flesh out any details that I overlook.

Stephen and I both handloaded for the trip and used Quickload as a resource. It appears that reloading supplies are trickling back into stock but at the time of our preparation we had limited resources and were unsure of what would be available for resupply. I ran a ton of work ups in QL to limit the amount of load development we'd have to do in event of a switch in powder. Dave had helped Stephen in sourcing alternative powders and I must say I'm jealous of some of the shooting supply shops that are in the SLC area.

We also heavily relied on the Shooter App in our mobile devices. There was also some good old fashioned graphite on Rite in Rain for the real numbers.
One trend in this game is the pursuit of kickass gear. I tend to go a bit overboard within my means. Stephen prefers to find the least expensive way to get the job done and his successes are really quite impressive. I have seen him punish steel at 600 with a surplus ball fed Big 5 Nagant and at 900 with a Yugo Mauser, 196 Hornadys and 7x scout scope using no small amount of Kentucky windage.

Our gear for this trip was as follows:
Stephen used:
95 grain Bergers out of a Dicks special R700 243 with my LTR stock and well worn Bushnell 10x mil dot.
162 AMAX's out of a 90's Kimber VZ 24 sporter in 7mm RM with a Hougue stock and 10x OG Super Sniper scope.
I was using:
75 AMAX's out of my APA trued and barreled 20" Rem 700 in 223AI(Broughton 5C), bedded in McMillan handle by SAC and a 3.2-21 Bushy HDMR with the G2 reticle.
120 Cauterucios and 142 Sierras out of my R&D built 30" (Lilja 3 groove) 264 Merlin aka 6.5RM AI R700 with a Nightforce 12-42 BR.
All our shooting was done off a bipod and rear bag.

Being gracious hosts they had already recced some new areas to shoot and we headed to the one that seemed best for our needs. We found an excellent perch and drove out to drop off steel. Being an east coaster and accustomed to 300' asl the scenery was quite epic. We used full sized E types arranged in 100 yard increments from 1700 in to 900. We set up an 18x18 at 600 and paper at 100 to confirm zero. Large artfully constructed wind flags were set up at 600, 1100 and 1700 yards.

The first two wind flags are visible in this photo as is the long sand dune( just left of center) that we used as a backstop behind our 1700 yard steel.

We got zeroed at 100 then meandered out to 600, comparing the Shooter data with our actual data. Winds were mild, around 5 mph. Dave walked us out and we amended our data accordingly. Stephen was using his 7 RM and had good local advantage as far as dope goes.

I was generating data as I ran the Ackley out. My first hit at 1000 was quite rewarding. Dave was calling the wind and asked me to send two more rounds downrange. Both were hits that I could see in my HDMR. Though I could not tell how large the group was.

As it turns out the Ackley can hit a 1200 yard E type pretty consistently if it's pointed in the right direction.
My 6.5 and Stephens 7 were both on steel easily at a little over 1000 and as one might imagine taking it out to 14-15-1600 was challenging. My Nightforce ran out of up at 1500 and I had to use the NP-R2 reticle to make elevation holds. I dialed for wind quite a bit and found the tiny numbers and 1/8 MOA clicks to be less user friendly than the HDMR mil knobs.

The light was getting low so we decided to hike up the hill a bit more to turn our 1700 yard steel into a mile target. Dave ranged it 3 times at 1791 yards. He was determined not to cheat us out of a mile shot. I hiked up the hill with four 142 Sierra loaded rounds. My notes from the Oehler indicated that the bullets were traveling 3141 fps with a sd of 8 fps. We set up out mats and rifles an prepared to lop lead at some serious range.

Last edited:
Stephen and I alternated shooting and Dave spotted.
I fired 3 rounds and was getting pretty close using an additonal 16MOA of elevation in the reticle. Between the 7RM, 20 moa rail and girthy SS tube Stephen was able to dial out to the correct elevation. I loaded my last round, stated so and launched it downrange. TOF was over 2 seconds and we all saw the splash of a hit. My first attempt at a mile and with Daves help I did it in less than 5 rounds. Stephen connected on shot number 7 and we packed up and headed down the hill(though I don't recall touching the ground).

We swabbed bores and packed up the trucks, then headed down to camp. We'd brought some good vittles and so we started a fire for dinner and began with a round of refreshing oat sodas under an amazing western sky.

Dave and Stephen at our crater campsite.

The next morning we touched up our targets.
By some miracle I found the lone 7mm AMAX that Stephen connected with on his first one mile shot.

Dave introduced me to my first scorpion Sunday morning. It was angling to hop into one of his boots. By the time we got to shooting it was windier and had a much tougher time. There was a significant delay in shooting due to other folks moving through our AO. We got some more rounds downrange then helped Dave pack up most of his steel. He graciously left us two E types on posts and a wind flag then headed back to civilization, though not before taking a shot of us with the 1 mile steel.

Last edited:
Two days of shooting, desert sun and not a lot of sleep lead to a lazy morning on our third day.
We made a big breakfast scramble with some jalepeno sausages, corn tortillas and salsa. I found an old steel box to use as a hibachi and improved on its airflow with Stephens White Oak barreled AR.

We followed breakfast with a hearty siesta and then I set up our field expedient reloading station.

We need to build a windproof box for the Chargemaster but otherwise, it was a great setup.
I love the Lee handpress for this situation.

I loaded 40 rounds of 142's over 64 grains of H-1000 and we headed back up the hill to shoot.
On the way up the road Dave's friend Jake No Shoulders showed up and we had to stop and chat.

We set up one target at 1700 and one at 1400. We had the sole wind flag at 600. Stephen was drilling 1400 with the 7 and I was still on target with my 6.5. I shot the 1700 yard steel once & we decided to head back up to our one mile perch to see if we could nail it without Dave's jedi wind doping skills.

The wind was blowing hard from out backs and occasionally switching from 1/4 value both ways.
I looked at my notes and sent my first round downrange. It hit just at the feet of the 1791 steel. My next shot went true and hit steel. At this point Stephen and I alternated shots unless a miss was really close and we thought a follow up in the same wind would connect. We saw over 5 moa shifts in impact in both directions. All said and done I scored 4/13 and Stephen scored 2/14 hits.
We packed up and drove down to retrieve the steel. In the light we had it was impossible to tell the 6.5 from 7mm hits. I saw the hit on the head that Stephen made and knew that at least one of the low hits was mine from 1700. The next day we id'd Stephens second hit low and right. That left me with 3 on a good centerline with two very nicely placed for that range.

Stephen and I unloaded all our gear and went to visit Dave and to return his gear. He seemed quite happy with our success. I truly can't thank Dave enough for being willing to give advice, supply gear and his time for our enrichment.
All in all the Ackley and HDMR were positively kickass. As was the 6.5 but I realized that the 12-42 NF is not the best choice for what we were doing. I shot almost the entire time with it set at 22x so that I could use the reticle for wind holds and wind calls for my partner. I don't think that more magnification is necessary with the quality of the NF glass.

Last edited:
Nice shooting. Gotta love the West Desert. We head out there quite a bit. We managed to stretch out to 1180 yards last night with our .308's. We lobbed a few out to the 2130 target but did not have enough elevation to make a hit.