• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UTAH SHOOTOUTS, tactical rifle, Aug 8

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Ut

9:00 am, $15. Sorry no dutch oven lunch today.

But we'll have a delicious Course of Fire. Bring your one gun that you'll use next month. We'll pack all we can into the day. Probably till about 2:00. I'll be sticking around if anybody wants to keep working on some of the stages.

They include precision paper and steel out to 1000 yards. Turning and running man targets. Over the edge.

A lot of people have asked about coming to these matches to just watch. Mostly because they have never shot out that far before. If you or someone you know wants to get some training to be able to compete out to 1000 yards, just let me know. I've been instructing students for $50 per half day. They can stop at any time. Most have learned enough and wanted to take another half day. Just one or two classes has done wonders for their skill level and confidence. Ideal class size is 3 to 4 students. I should have several new shooters for our Sept Sniper Shoot. I figure you guys need the competition.

More info call 801 599 1574 www.utahshootouts.com email [email protected]

Thanks, Clint

Re: UTAH SHOOTOUTS, tactical rifle, Aug 8

Clint, as i have done and said before.... if someone wants to put rounds on steel.... I always have and extra rifle and ammo available.

Ya, thanks Russ. I think people have taken you up on that before.

We got some new steel thanks to LV Shooter we will be using. Plus yesterday was working a sensor system detecting hits on steel out to 1000 yards. Making it easier to score.

Should be fun

Very cool.

Interested in your new gear. Sounds like the sensor would be pretty handy on the black targets.

They are working good. (I found out that you have to hit the target for them to work. Maybe I ought to stick with the 6 and 8 ft steel)

Good call!

Was about to double dog dare ya, LOL

Still kinda big dontcha think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, 700, 800, 900, & 1000 yard will be 18 in round steel. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Still kinda big dontcha think. </div></div>

Well, I got a 3 in rnd, 3X6 oval, 4 in rnd, 6 in rnd. We could put those in the 700 to 1000 spots. Whaddayathimk?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">desertratdad,

Do you have any openings left for this shoot?

Steve </div></div>

Ya, we got room left.

Clint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
desertratdad said:
OK, 700, 800, 900, & 1000 yard will be 18 in round steel. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Still kinda big dontcha think. </div></div>

Well, I got a 3 in rnd, 3X6 oval, 4 in rnd, 6 in rnd. We could put those in the 700 to 1000 spots. Whaddayathimk?

steve123 said:
desertratdad,

OK OK, lets go with the 18's, LOL. See ya in a couple days.

Holy cow, we have 60+ MPH winds right now..... hope this clears up a bit for Saturday.

Remember the 18” Action Target steel is angled down for splatter at about 15-20 degrees. With most 308 bullets going 350 inches up in the air and then inclining down at the 1000 yard mark that makes the 18” target really hard to hit. It’s about 18” wide by about 10” tall at 1000 yds and triangle in shape when you figure the angles involved. It’s almost a luck shot. Just a little variance in wind and you miss. If you angle the target up about 15 degrees it’s a little easier to hit and a doable target for the middle class shooters. You don’t want to make the targets so hard that they frustrate most of the pack. They may not want to come back and shoot with us again.

I can’t make the match, so I of course, could easily make the shots
smile.gif
ha..ha.

I'd like to at least come watch.

Scott

You aren't shooting pistol steel bro.

These targets don't get angled for splash..... besides, an 18" target is a good sized spot at 1000 or less.

Haveing said that, watch me screw up on Sat. LOL

Sorry you can't make it. Hows the recovery?

I am saying that the targets are manufactured with and angle in them. at least all of the 18" rounds I have looked at at the price range are angled. The rams and chickens are straight and some of the square steel are straight but all of the 18" rounds are angled down. I think what is really important is that you don't want to make the shots so hard that only the top 10% can hit them once.

The best would be to make a target presentation that the mid pack shooters would have the posability to hit once in 5 shots and the best shooters should be able to hit with 4 or 5 shots.

The recovery is very slow. I can't put any pressure on my finger tips for at least 6 more weeks. It is a huge pita. Can't dress youself, brush your teeth or anything you need you hands for. Thanks for asking.

oh I follow what ya mean on the steel. I think these are the ones that he got from LVTargets.

We'll have to see whats going on on Sat.

Well, heading out to the range now, can't think of nothing better to do. Should have some steel everybody can shoot.

Have some fun gun fights planned on the police range. I don't have to wait for my kid to program the new senerios into the computer anymore. I can do it all by my self now.

I will be there tomorrow with bells on ..

Jason

BTW, I will be the guy the starts giving people a bunch of crap as soon as i get out of the rig, specially the LEO's.

Good shoot Clint. Thanks again, even though I shot like crap.

....note to self, don't heckle the match director, he will make it harder.

I had a blast. thanks to everyone being patient with the FNG..

Jason

Hey Jason, great to meet you.

We'll have to get you out in the desert and bangin' steel as soon as we can.

Take care

Absolutely, I need all the practice I can get..

You wasn't the heckler Russ, it was that Dan feller. I'm really gonna make it hard on him.

Nice to meet you tun.

We had at least two other new shooters. Some serious dudes.

After everything was over I went to pick up the targets and scoring sensor stuff. Sure enough the 600 yd one was still switched off. The rest, 300 to 500 worked fairly well. I could hear all the hits as fast as we could shoot them. I didn't get things mounted on the 700 to 1000 yd so as you know we shot them without.

I stayed till today to set the stuff up on the longer ranges. It worked most of the time, but I got several signals on the 700 sensor as I was shooting the 800 to 1000. It's got to work better than that before I'll set it up for the Sept shoot. (good ole paper!)

We shot 18 in steel from 200 to 600. A lot of shooters cleaned that stage.

The hanging targets worked good with .223 and up. They got chewed up a little. You guys got a little less than half hits, so that worked out good. For everybody else, they were 4 steel targets 1 to 1 1/2 moa from 200 to 500 yards. The breeze was just starting to blow.

Done several stages on the Police range with the turning and moving targets.

I didn't get too much video, maybe I'll try to put something together in the next few days.

Hey I can't remember who was talking about maybe taking pictures for the Sept shoot. I hope he contacts me.

Also I probably going to be at the range in a couple weeks if anyone wants to be there. No charge except the $5 daily range fee.

Oh ya, there were 13 shooters

Clint