• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Apr.11 - video

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
VIDEO OF SNIPER SHOOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSX0jkQRrY0

Utah State Sniper Shoot, Apr. 11, 2009. North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Utah. Find the range at www.carbon.utah.gov and click on shooting range.

This will be a tactical type, very precision type shooting competition.

We have about 20 shooters on the list, have plenty of room left. Talked to the trophy makers today and they need only a couple of weeks notice to order the glass plaques for the participation, etc. trophies. My kids buy the food only a few days ahead. They do killer dutch oven. So if you want to shoot in April, you can still do it. We will have some extra of everything, but if we run out the price is the same. $50. Please let me know as soon as you can.

This is a 25 to 1000 yard match. More closer targets than farther targets for this match. (Sept match will be more farther than closer) Any person, any rifle for any stage, any equipment you can carry to the firing line (can be 100 yards away or so) There will be time limits enforced that could make a difference on what equipment you choose. Single shot rifles can do ok at this match though.

There will be a semi auto stage. 30+ rounds in 60 seconds.

I will be sending out emails in a week or so giving more detailed information on COF, to any one I have addresses for.

Or you can check the website www.utahtactical.org or call me at 801 599 1574.

Thanks, Clint

Re: UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Apr.11 - Last Call

There are at least 3 or 4 coming down from Salt Lake. I will get a better count and let you know.

Damn! This sounds like it would be a blast to shoot.

Wish i had my shit together!

I've got to be in AZ that weekend.
frown.gif

Clint, you know I'm in! I'll give you a call today or tomorrow.

Russ

oh and plan on Jake S. and Scott L.

I'm in as always! Clint give me a call and I'd be happy to help you set up.
Guys if you can make it do... it'a always a geat shoot and the North Spring Range is the best in Utah.
BR

Good to hear from you guys. We are hitting about 30 shooters. Time to get pre-registration going. I can't have a nightmare like trying to get that many shooters signed in at the same time. There are quite a few people I don't have email addresses for or even know their name yet. So please let them know I'm trying to get this done ahead of time. Try to copy the form below and mail it to me.

The other thing that would help is if people could get there the day before. This 4 million dollar range is out in the middle of no where so it usually takes longer to get there than people think, and we will be sticking to a strict schedule. There is a camp ground there at the range. About $8.00 a night. There is no tables. No fires allowed. But there are bathrooms close by with lights, heat, and running water. I usually camp out at the range from the day before, setting up. But we did stay once at a Holliday Inn at the west end of town that was very nice if you want to do that.

UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT
Apr. 11, 2009
SHOOTER REGISTRATION

Name___________________________ Age_____
(If under 18 years of age, must have an adult with them throughout the match. Can be a shooter. Enter name below on spotter line)

Address_________________________________________

City_____________________ State________ Zip______

Phone_______________ _______________

E-Mail__________________________________________

Optional: Name of Dept., Agency, Business:____________

Number of non-shooters for lunch ____$10 ea.
Shooter Fee $50. Includes lunch

Paid_______ check or money order

Payable to: Clinton G. Simon
921 Fremont Av.
Salt Lake City, Ut
Want to shoot next to somebody and help spot for each other. Send in registrations together. Spotter name ________________
All shooters that send in registrations in same envelope will be grouped together.

I will be sending emails to all shooters I have email addresses for with more detailed COF etc. I'll post it on my website too.

Thanks, Clint

I am new to the world of tactical shooting and would definitely like to come and watch..

Tun, bring a gun.... you'll want to shoot.

If you don't have one ready to go. Find me and you can shoot one of mine, time permitting. I always bring a lil extra ammo for someone to send rounds down range.

I'm coming and I'll bring my gun. I have so much to learn . I have never been to a shoot/competition and am really looking forward to learning how how it all works and is structured ... I don't want to make a fool of myself, shooting with people that posses a much greater skill level so this time I will probably just watch and take in as much as possible...

Only way to learn is to come with bells on....

If your lacking gear, someone will have it.

Hell, one of the last ones we went to down there.... people didn't even have Hearing protection. No shame in borrowing gear if its available.

I thought EVERYONE in Utah was a sniper.

Don't they teach Sniping 101 as a vocational course in junior high?

Update:
We are getting the computerized target system running very well now in the law enforcement area. It took some factory training and a lot of time to work the bugs out. There are 67 targets that twist, turn, swing up, or run like hell. I think we decided to use about 30 of them, just to make it easy on you.

Ben programed several different stages we can choose from. Including some that run totally random. You guys ain't going to want to go home. (at least till you run out of ammo)

Now here's something to think about. Last weekend when we were trying it out, I thought it was extremely difficult to find which target just faced you soon enough to shoot it, till I realized that you have to keep both eyes open. (at least 90% of the time) Don't worry it only takes about 5 or 10 seconds to learn how to do this.

Don't have a weather report yet for the match. It has been storming every few days lately, so plan accordingly. The range is about 6500 ft. so it can be cold there still.

We will not cancel the match because of rain or snow. We have a plan to keep everyone under a roof if need be. Don't want to rust no iron.

We have about 30 shooters from 5 states. We can handle a few more with no problem. After this weekend I can give you a better description of the COF. (just in case 25 to 1000 yards is not good enough description)

Thanks, Clint

Hell, Clint.... I thought you were supposed to shoot with both eyes open anyway.

Finally people are going to "see" it my way!

Looking forward to the shoot.

Russ

Captain, no pistol required on this day. Unless you can hit the targets at 100 yards with one. Bring one anyway cause if you are there the day before or after, you can shoot all you want, with any thing you bring.

Hell Russ, nobody told me I had to shoot with both eyes open. I'm a NRA certified pistol and rifle instructor and teach the students how to shoot with both eyes open in the Pistol Marksmanship class at the Univercity of Utah, but what makes you think "I" should shoot with both eyes open?

I was supposed to meet Ben at the shooting range to fine tune the computerized target system as well as make final decisions on other parts of the COF. Ended up driving 900 miles to get him and his family home from breaking down by Vail Co. Did get most of the major dicisions made before leaving Price and will be posting a lot better COF in the next 24 hours. Sorry guys, I have had some phone calls about the Course. Thanks Clint

haha, good point Clint....

No COF, keep it a suprise for all of us.

I don’t mind being suprised but it would be nice to know how much ammo I need to bring. And if I should bring an autoloader (AR-15) for some of the stages.

Scott

Utah State Sniper Shoot – Update of Apr.1
To all those interested in attending the shoot on Apr.11
We will not cancel or postpone this match because of the weather. That is part of the fun. I will not ask you to get your expensive rifle wet either though, if it is raining (or snowing). DRESS FOR THE WEATHER. The problem with planning the COF has been what to do in case of stormy weather. Which at this point, is very possible. I think we got a good plan now in place. There are areas with no shelter, with a roof, and with 3 walls and a roof. If it’s nice weather we will use all three and will be as follows.

Precision – prone – 100 to 600 yards and one 1000 yard target
Expect to shoot at least 60 rounds of ammo for the precision shooting. Bring 80 rounds just in case. Best case scenario, we will add a target or two. We have several new fun targets to choose from. (Hostage and head shot type) You can switch guns between stages, but just have it close by. You won’t have much time in between stages.

Walk in the park – standing position -
Law Enforcement area 50 and 100 yard turning and moving (running man) targets.
You will need a semi-auto rifle with at least 30 rounds of ammo for this stage. Bring 30 extra.

Over the Edge – approx. 25 to 210 yards – 5 targets, 5 distances, 5 angles down. Prone, sitting, and standing. Here you may want a range finder. Use your precision bolt gun or a semi-auto. It is your choice. You will need 25 rounds on this over the cliff edge stage.

If the weather is wet and wild, we will simplify accordingly. We will shoot less targets, under more shelter. We can arrange the COF to be able to shoot some targets sooner or later depending on weather conditions during the day. We may shoot more in the Law Enforcement area, that’s why bring a extra 30 rounds for your semi-auto gun. If the weather is really bad all day, we will shoot several precision targets here in the sheltered area (more standing positions).

Warning: Allow plenty of travel time to get to the range. Most people will be coming from the West, over Soldier Summit. At this time of year, it can still be brutal at times.

If you have any more questions please email me [email protected] or call 801 599 1574 day or eve. If you have not let me know you will be attending, please do. We have some space available yet. Thanks, Clint www.utahtactical.org

Clint, do you happen to have the gps coordinates of the range do you? or a map from Price? I can get to Price but I didnt see any directions on the web page.
Thanks Tucker

Captain.... PM sent with link to directions

Look forward to seeing you there.

Russ

Here ya go.... I got this off Google Earth.

39° 31' 31.99" N
110° 57' 45.99" W

Will there be another UT sniper shoot this year? Thanks!

Sheesh Scott, get with the program! I hooked him up like an hour ago. haha

500 grains, checkout Utahtactical.org He has this years schedule listed there.

says single shots will do ok....

I should roll out the Sharps and get up wind of everyone. Blind all of you!

Doing a good job helpin people out there. Thanks. Ya the fastest you will have to shoot is 5 rounds in 60 seconds. ( except the auto loader stage, can you shoot that Sharps faster than one shot every two seconds?)And with the wind blowing at normal 30 mph, the you will only blind us for about 2 second. Clint

LOL, nice and windy still

Sounds like it'll be a good time!

Hey everybody all set for this weekend? I have a question for everyone I am interested in buying a surgeon action to build on but I would like to shoot one to find out if I am to the point yet where a hi-end rifle would help me. I feel like I shoot my savage actioned rife farly well and if I were to shoot a custom rig and get the same outcome as I do now I will wait but if I show a big improvement I will take the plunge. So really what I am asking is if some one has a surgeon rifle there this weekend may I give it a test drive? I will bring extra ammo I would not expect someone to provide it for me. And also maybe one of the better shooters could shoot mine and see if they get better results than I do. I am really pumped and hope to learn alot
see ya all soon Tucker

Hey Tucker, It's not a Surgeon, but I will have a couple of my Custom rigs there. Both are GAP built. One is my newer 308 and the other is a 06 AI.

My take on this is, I threw a custom barrel on Jake's rifle. You will meet him there.... his Savage will shoot 1/2 MOA when he is paying atteention. A lot of your accuracy questions could be from load development. This 308 of mine will shoot better than me and I regularly, not always, shoot ragged sub 1/2 MOA groups.

I'd be happy to shoot your rifle as many times as you want, but if the load isn't tailored perfectly, your accuracy could be lacking. I for one have never turned down free trigger time, haha.

Now to compare factory -vs- Custom. I have a Winchester Stealth that will stay right there with any of my customs. Doesn't look as nice and it only has a HS stock not some fancy super expensive stock, but it's no slouch for accuracy. Another buddy, Scott169 here on the hide, has a PSS with 300 rounds down range. Regularly shoots 1/2" groups and better. I think most people should burn up a tube or 2 before really going full custom. You will see some guys there this weekend that fit that statement pretty well. Just because you have the most expensive rifle on the firing line doesn't mean you can hit something at range..... You will see what I mean.
Maybe not so much at this match, but the regular matches it is pretty evident. I fully expect to see some GREAT shooters as it looks like there will be a lot of guys there who shoot for a living. Me, I just live to shoot.

BTW Tucker, started to rain a minute ago.... supposed to stay that way through Sunday..... Will be a great match!

I went to the Lee Kay center today and it was a 40mph wind. Maybe the same 40mph wind will blow in price:)
smile.gif

Suck.. just checked the weather, still shows rain in price.

Scott

Yeah, I think we are in for a wet day... should be great!

Now, who are the nancy asses that are afraid of rifles getting wet?

haha! Clint, we used to call guys "Nancy's" if they complained about anything when I was enlisted.

You'll hear me call someone "Nancy" sooner or later.

aka, Candy Ass
aka, sissy
aka, girly man..... you get the idea.

Call me what you want, but danged if I ain't gettin tired of the cold.

Scott

haha, Clint, Scott is a Nancy Ass.

He shoots coated bullets.

Well I won't be shooting coated bullets at this match. I had a new barrel put on my gun and I only have about 120 rd down the tube and I haven't had time to build a load for coated bullets yet. And yes it's still in 6.5 Creedmoor. So it will be naked 142 SMK's for this match.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been at the range all day. No rain. Nice day. Several shooters here getting sighted in. See Ya, Clint </div></div>

Well, mother nature sure got that out of her system. Rain, snow, fog and wind...... who could ask for more fun!

Thanks for a good shoot Clint.

Thanks Clint what a great match I had a great time and it was good to meet everyone. I'll try and get some pics posted later when I dig my camera out of my stuff
Tucker

Clint, great shoot with a varied course of fire. Thank you to your family, friends, and you for putting this on.