• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

V Node Testing : First try

KneverKnew

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
My first V Node test was done with my Aero Precision M5 with 308 upper.
I tested Sierra 168 grain Match Kings and Reloader 15.
I took the max book load of 43.6 grains and reduced 1.5 grains for a starting load of 42.1. I loaded one round each with .2 grain increments until I had ten rounds loaded. Results are as follows.
42.1- 2491 fps
42.3- 2504
42.5- 2507
42.7- 2521
42.9- 2532
43.1- 2556
43.3- 2560
43.5- 2583
43.7- 2598
43.9- 2600
Velocities measured with a LabRadar.
The most promising V Node i will focus on is between 43.1 and 43.3 grains with a velocity increase of only 4 fps. The Node between 43.7 and 43.9 grains had an increase of only two fps but these are already over the book max of 43.6 so I will steer clear of them. Besides, the middle Node contains the same
Velocity I was getting from Federal Gold Medal Match ammo which used the same 168 SMK’s, of 2545 fps. These shot extremely well for me. I expect my best V Node Load to be be very close to matching this ammo.
One other very interesting thing I found while doing this V Node test was the resulting groups size. Throwing out one known flyer from the pack, and with two different people taking turned shooting each load with the appropriate 2 minute cool down period, we ended up with a 9 shot group of only 1-3/8”!! That’s through a velocity range of 109 fps!! That seams amazing to me. See below.
ED7FCACF-088C-473F-83A6-DAF7900FF7FA.jpeg

I’m now going to focus on the middle V Node of 43.1 to 43.3 by loading a string at .1 grain increments between 43.0 to 43.4 grains and see what happens. At that point I will pick a final load based on this results and see how they perform. Any comments or suggestion would be appreciated.

Interesting. I will be anxious to see your results.

I had a similar test with a 6.5 creedmoor on my first node test. After reading a thread or two on here about node testingt I had a repeat at a longer distance 400 yards was my maximum range close to home. It turns out the velocity numbers alone do not show the node as well as the grouping on target. I then found two nodes one at a lower velocity and one just at pressure signs. It’s easy to see in vertical spread at that distance. The hard part is riding to the target every shot and labeling the shot or charge on target.

I had a similar test with a 6.5 creedmoor on my first node test. After reading a thread or two on here about node testingt I had a repeat at a longer distance 400 yards was my maximum range close to home. It turns out the velocity numbers alone do not show the node as well as the grouping on target. I then found two nodes one at a lower velocity and one just at pressure signs. It’s easy to see in vertical spread at that distance. The hard part is riding to the target every shot and labeling the shot or charge on target.
That is where I keep a notebook with me and draw a diagram of the target, marking each shot with a number on my diagram.

Great idea.
I considered that. Did that in Marine Corps. Wil do next trip to range.
Just color the bullets with a different color sharpie for each charge weight and shoot it on white paper. You’ll see the color left on the paper.
If it’s tough a q tip and a bit of rubbing alcohol will bleed the marker out into the white paper making it easier to tell.
I color a line in the box charge weight labeling to tie the color to the number.
97D4E51D-A3AA-4BC4-8C86-F08CD017BEBA.jpeg

Reactions: TheMammoth
I would use the V for vertical and after finding the least amount of Vertical I would then adjust the seating depth to find the smallest groups.
Then I would look at my extreme spread to see if a primer change is needed.

I would use the V for vertical and after finding the least amount of Vertical I would then adjust the seating depth to find the smallest groups.
Then I would look at my extreme spread to see if a primer change is needed.
Exactly what I have planned. Thanks for the reinforcing words of encouragement.

My Aero M5 I actually built originally with a 6.5 Creed upper. It shoots great but still need VNode testing to do with it. Then I built this 308 upper for “day to day necessities. “ ?
If shooting at 400 I’d simply set up a target with 10 dots and shoot each load in series on the dots. This assumes I can calculate correct Bullet drop and adjust scope accordingly to keep shots on the paper, let alone even close to those dots. ?

I use the BallisticsARC app. You can try it for one rifle for free and it works well with my iPhone. It also can be used with weather flow meter or kestrel meter or get info off your closest public weather station.

I use BallisticsARC/Geoballistics as well. It’s a jbm engine with some nifty features, satellite imagery/ranging, an comp cards where you can build a profile for each stage of a match for easy dope.