• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

V4 vs supertrickler vs ingenuity trickler

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Finally going to buy one. Which is the best overall one you guys have found. I don't switch powder to often but load n565 mainly then imr 7977 ramshot lrt and going to try some n570.

I know iguenity trickler is coming out with there own maybe best to wait but have money in hand.

I should add I already the fx120i scale.
    Right now I load with rcbs lite then move over to fx120i scale with a dandy trickler to get final charge. Very accurate but very very slow

Based on what I've seen of the teaser video of the complete ingenuity dispenser, if you can I'd hold on to your money a while longer and see how initial impressions are. Paul is hoping for a release sometime in the fall.

In the meantime, either the V4 or supertrickler will do just fine, with my preference being for the supertrickler over the stock V4. However, if you buy a V4 now along with an ingenuity precision trickler for the final stage you could sell the V4 and buy the ingenuity bulk drop and electronics later when Paul releases it.

Reactions: secondofangle2
    I have the V4 and Supertrickler. Both have been excellent - the interface with the Supertrickler is a little easier IMO. Also like the Supertrickler functions such as allowing easy drops for ladder testing. As far as speed and accuracy they're both solid.

It comes down to your expectations. Some users want spot on perfection with every drop quickly. I run mine (both the V4 and Supertricker) a little faster and an occasional overthrow doesn't bother me. Overall if I dump some overthrows running faster I can get quite a bit more good throws per hour overall. So rather than nitpick, I like getting as many usable throws in a period of time as possible. I bought these to see what the deal was and I was interested in upgrading my Chargemaster. If I just want consistency, my old beam scale tuned by the guy in Bakersfield works very well - just slooooow. I still have if needed for a power outage situation. The shiny new toys are really for convenience and to satisfy my curiosity. I'll likey sell the V4 and see what else is coming that might be an upgrade - just for fun.

I want speed but I'm ok with throwing a change every 20 to 30 seconds that's dead on or close.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    IG precision is dead on every time and takes what 5-7 seconds depending on powder...... if it was me, I'd get the IG trickler and manually drop charges and trickle up lightning fast with the IG till Paul releases his thrower and electronics this fall
    I'm hoping it comes fast lol his looks great

I have the IG Precision with the V3 and it’s faster and dead on. Plus if it does under throw you have the ability to manually trickle a click at a time. I’ve been very pleased with mine.

Reactions: Schütze
    Based on what I've seen of the teaser video of the complete ingenuity dispenser, if you can I'd hold on to your money a while longer and see how initial impressions are. Paul is hoping for a release sometime in the fall.

In the meantime, either the V4 or supertrickler will do just fine, with my preference being for the supertrickler over the stock V4. However, if you buy a V4 now along with an ingenuity precision trickler for the final stage you could sell the V4 and buy the ingenuity bulk drop and electronics later when Paul releases it.
    Link to the teaser video??

I almost bought a V4, then the supertrickler was on the horizon, so I waited to see how that worked out. I decided to get a supertrickler this fall, and now IGP is coming out with one. Maybe I’ll wait again. I‘ve been using my 40 year old RCBS thrower and manual trickler with a Fx-120i. I can get very accurate charges and it shows in the reduction of ES and SD’s of my loads, BUT it’s very very slow.

I looked at the IGP website, but didn’t see how you would use the IG trickler with a Fx-120i. How do you tell the trickler what charge weight to stop at? I must be missing something. Confession, I haven’t watched the videos yet. I need to do that.

I can’t wait to see what IG comes up with.

Update 10/31
    I should have posted back before now. I bought the IG trickler to work with my FX-120i. I still drop with my RCBS, but the IG trickler does the rest very quickly and accurately. Can’t wait for their dropper to come out.

Last edited:
    That's my plan. Been running the Chargemaster Lite for a while. It works fine but I'm looking to speed things up on my bench. I learned very quickly that unfortunately the more time it takes to run through a batch, the less I ultimately shoot, and that sucks haha. So I might as well save my money for a really solid piece of quality gear.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    I looked at the IGP website, but didn’t see how you would use the IG trickler with a Fx-120i. How do

It runs off the AutoTrickler board/app. You need at least the electronics and a motor from an AT system.

Reactions: KYAggie
    I have had every iteration of the Autorickler from 1 to 4, the super trickler, and the ingenuity precision.

The IP is by far the FASTEST and simplest out there. I own two of them now. Nothing can really compete with it at this point. Unless you want to tinker with the Supertrickler, I would get the IP and definitely skip the V4.

I know I hear a lot of people say v3 with ig is the best setup out there.

It runs off the AutoTrickler board/app. You need at least the electronics and a motor from an AT system.

Thanks. I knew I was missing something. So if I wanted to drop with my old RCBS measure and then use the Fx-120i with the IP trickler, I would need the AT system electronics and a motor? I think I’ll wait for the IP complete system.

I know I hear a lot of people say v3 with ig is the best setup out there.

That's what I'm using - not by design, only because I got stuff along the way and that's where I ended up. I'm exceedingly happy with the setup. The IG trickler is the bomb.

I'm using the V3 with the IG trickler. Works very well

I guess I could try looking for a v3 and then buy the IG trickler. The v4 seems like a great idea a one unit to do all.

The Ingenuity Precision trickler is amazing.

You can just buy an A&D FX120i (if you don’t already have one), ~$100 in parts, and the IP tricker and drop the bulk charge manually if you want until the automated bulk drop system is out. That’s how I do it and I love it, I probably won’t even get the automated bulk drop system since I love how simple and bonehead-proof my setup is.

Even dropping the bulk charges manually, powder for 100rds takes less than 10 minutes (including getting the powder in the hopper and then putting it back in the jug). No headaches, no over’s… ever.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Schw15
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago.

You get the supertrickler yet?

…I was just mentioning this to someone else, and it bears repeating here:

With the Ingenuity Precision trickler, the beauty of just playing with the slider for 5 seconds to set it up perfectly… instead of messing with menus for days (and then still getting annoying over’s) cannot be overstated… if you’ve ever gotten deep into the AT, MatchMaster, or SuperTrickler menus… prepare to be blown away.

Reactions: secondofangle2
    If one wants to try dumping the bulk charge manually with the IP trickler:

If you already have an FX120i you'll need:
    AT V3 electronics
    1 AT motor
    AT V3 motor cable
    AT V3 power adapter
    AT App
    (around ~$100 or so) parts are available from either AT or CE Products... and obviously the IP powder measure… FYI, if they’re not available, email them about grabbing a blemished unit and you may be able to get one sooner and save a couple bucks (that’s what I did).

When your stuff shows up, just follow the AT v3 directions (they’re online at AT’s site) for setting up the FX120 and the rest is “plug and play”.

Adjust your bulk drop to be ~1.5gn under your target weight and the trickler will take care of the rest… every drop to the kernel in seconds, no overs, no headaches.

Reactions: Schw15 and KYAggie
    I have owned all 3 (actually 4).

I had the V3 for many years and upgraded it with some Area419 bits over that time. I was happy with the V3 and had that thing tuned so that it rarely had an overthrow.

When the V4 came out it's human nature to want the latest shiny thing so I upgraded to the V4.

I was not enamored with the V4 at all. I liked that it had a smaller bench footprint and got rid of the fragile cables, but i felt it was a downgrade in performance and consistency compared to the V3. I also found it was fiddlier to empty out after a session.

I got the SuperTricker when they first came out. I was order number in the low 500's. Straight away i was not impressed. There's a lot of great ideas and it's a good form factor but I hated it, especially the AI. The AI took forever to learn a powder profile and then even if you saved those settings it would be completely out of whack the next time. It's downfall IMO is that they chose to go with the vibratory trickler.

So i went back to my old faithful V3 and ordered the IP tricker for it. I love it. It just works with no stuffing about. It dumps a charge in 8-9 seconds every single time with zero otherthrows. Setup and emptying after a session is quick and easy.
    The only gripe is the desktop footprint and those fragile cables but they're less of an issue with the IP because you don't have to have to move the unit at all so there's less chance of breaking them due to fatigue.

I'm waiting patiently for the IG unit but hard for me not to grab a v4 to try or get the IG trickler with a thrower. I've never had a unit like this so I'm sure there all an upgrade to my setup speed wise haha

I’ve read on here somewhere that you could also use the V4 together with the ingenuity powder meter. You just disable the trickler for the V4. But @CK1.0 ‘s way is a way more affordable option.

Reactions: JLP83
    I decided to wait til the fall to see what IG comes out with. Looks like the best and very simple to run. Change out a few plates depending on powder and the key pad looks easy to work. If something happens I will change plans based on IG

I hope someone here can help me!

I recently picked up a Supertrickler V2 and I have an FX120i. I install the new platen and I get an “E” on the display. Obviously enough since the platen is so much smaller. I then try to do a recalibration w a precision 100gm weight but I keep getting a “cal e” error! I’ve reset the machine, I’ve warmed it up. Etc. I replaced the original platen and recalibrated and it worked fine. What am I doing wrong???!

I hope someone here can help me!

I recently picked up a Supertrickler V2 and I have an FX120i. I install the new platen and I get an “E” on the display. Obviously enough since the platen is so much smaller. I then try to do a recalibration w a precision 100gm weight but I keep getting a “cal e” error! I’ve reset the machine, I’ve warmed it up. Etc. I replaced the original platen and recalibrated and it worked fine. What am I doing wrong???!
    When you say reset the machine... Do you mean the Supertrickler or the FX120i?

Did you power cycle the scale?

If you power the FX120 up with a weight or powder cup on the platen or change to a lighter platen after the powerup and initialization, because it uses that initial weight at power on for the zero reference, if you remove that extra weight from the platen it will show -E on the display and not allow you to rezero it or calibrate until you power cycle it to reestablish the new zero weight at power on.

Power the scale down, install the ST platen making sure the cup isn't on the platen, then power it back up... that may solve your issue.

Last edited:
    Reactions: spife7980

If you power the FX120 up with a weight or powder cup on the platen or change to a lighter platen after the powerup and initialization, because it uses that initial weight at power on for the zero reference, if you remove that extra weight from the platen it will show E on the display and not allow you to rezero it or calibrate until you power cycle it to reestablish the new zero weight at power on.

Power the scale down, install the ST platen making sure the cup isn't on the platen, then power it back up... that may solve your issue.
    Tried that. And nada….. any other ideas?

If you power the FX120 up with a weight or powder cup on the platen or change to a lighter platen after the powerup and initialization, because it uses that initial weight at power on for the zero reference, if you remove that extra weight from the platen it will show E on the display and not allow you to rezero it or calibrate until you power cycle it to reestablish the new zero weight at power on.

Tried that. And nada….. any other ideas
    Tried that. And nada….. any other ideas?
    that said I think you may be on to something but the platen weighs so much less than the normal it keeps giving me the E. Basically I can’t the scale to recognize and zero to the smaller platens weight…. If that makes sense.

Are you calibrating at 0 first?

If you try to calibrate with the 100g weight first, it will show CAL E as the calibration weight is too heavy as it's expecting you to calibrate zero first (or it will show -CAL E if it's too light)

You calibrate at zero first, then at 50g or 100g (or manually input the actual certified weight of your calibration weight)

Or is it failing the first step of the calibration for the zero weight?

When you first power the scale on with the ST platen installed, does the display show 0 or "E" or "-E" immediately after power on?

When you did the factory reset & calibration, were you using the FX’s power supply (not though the ST)?

The v4 overthrows maybe 1 out of every 200+ charges for me using the stock settings.

It's not super fast, but it's a hell of a lot faster than doing it by hand.

Either I have a good unit, or some of you created your own issues screwing with the settings until you were all out of whack. Nothing like some tinkering to make yourself your own worst enemy.

Are you calibrating at 0 first?

If you try to calibrate with the 100g weight first, it will show CAL E as the calibration weight is too heavy as it's expecting you to calibrate zero first (or it will show -CAL E if it's too light)

You calibrate at zero first, then at 50g or 100g (or manually input the actual certified weight of your calibration weight)

Or is it failing the first step of the calibration for the zero weight?

When you first power the scale on with the ST platen installed, does the display show 0 or "E" or "-E" immediately after power on?
    I am calibrating at zero first then at 100. And yes the scale reads -e when it first powers on w the new platen installed.

I am calibrating at zero first then at 100. And yes the scale reads -e when it first powers on w the new platen installed.

Weird.

Are you power cycling the scale with the on/off button or actually unplugging the power supply?

I'd install the ST platen and then unplug the scale, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in and see if it initializes.

The only time my FX120i ever acts up is if I accidentally leave the powder cup on the scale when I power it up.