• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VA budget up 13%??

Barneybdb

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 2, 2011
    Adelaide, South Australia
    White House Budget Proposal
    The White House released its proposed fiscal year 2021 budget today, mirroring the administration's past proposals in making steep cuts to nondefense spending while boosting military funding. The total cost comes in at $4.8T with a projected deficit of $966B that shrinks to $261B by 2030 - though analysts say those numbers are based on an overly optimistic 3% annual growth and rely on cuts to food assistance and Medicaid. Federal agencies taking cuts include the Commerce Department (-37% compared to current funding), the EPA (-27%), and the State Department (-21%). The Pentagon will see a slight increase (+0.3%), while NASA (+12%) and Veterans Affairs (+13%) both receive a significant boost (see full budget). Like all presidential budgets, the proposal also serves as a value statement and is submitted to Congress for lawmakers to borrow from or discard as they develop a detailed budget over the summer.

The federal budget process is complicated, but here is a great primer to get started.

The congress will pass another continuing resolution. They will not do one of the only things they're actually supposed to do. They all should...nevermind.

Reactions: Redmanss
    There's also funding that retires many A-10's, with cuts that refuse wing replacement on a significant portion of the A-10 fleet.

Me, I see this as putting some on the shelf as they reach a certain discrete airframe hours number.

But this is also only one year's budget. That wing replacement line item could just as easily be restored in another year's budget. I suspect that may be what's happening here.

I drive past/through Davis-Monthan AFB several times a month, and shop in its Post Exchange and Commissary.

Those retired aircraft are still fully capable of being restored to functional order. We are not talking about the entire A-10 fleet.

There are still A-10's and GAU-30's flying over my house several times a week. I live adjacent to Willcox Dry Lake/Bombing Range.

One may hope...

Greg

No one ever pays any real attention to the President's budget proposal. It's a meaningless exercise. Congress, and only Congress, controls the purse strings. I think I read the Budget Commitee wasn't even going to give the President's proposal a hearing, because it would just be a bunch of Trump bashing.