• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Vacuum forming Kydex - UPDATE - finished pics

DrRansom

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
Williamsport, PA
Got bored today, so made a cheap DIY vacuum thermoformer for making holsters and sheaths. Then I decided I was really bored, and I wasn't satisfied with any of the vacuums I found with a bit more than a cursory search, so I did a quick video describing it.

I made knife sheaths in the vid, but it's easy to extrapolate making holsters for handguns or magazines with the same apparatus. The biggest advantage, other than getting a better custom form than a press or vise, is that you can manipulate both the object and the kydex surrounding the object while the kydex is being cooled and formed.

You can also use this in conjunction with a heat gun, after the initial setting, to get a superb fit.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=05h1wZH5Jnk[/video]

Re: Vacuum forming Kydex

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool!
So you form each side separate? </div></div>

Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish - in the case of the blades in the vid, I'll make a flat back - so no major forming necessary. I'll use a flat piece, use a heat gun for small tweaks, and I'm all set. For holsters, that other side might be leather. The vacuum forming doesn't lend itself towards symmetrical two piece objects, since the top of the vacuum is flat.

Thank you for sharing. I have several projects needing some Kydex holsters and sheaths. Where are you getting your Kydex from? To bond the halves are you using adhesive of some type and then grommets? For integrated belt loops are you using the heat gun to form the belt loop? Again thank you for sharing and helping educate the rest of us.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for sharing. I have several projects needing some Kydex holsters and sheaths. Where are you getting your Kydex from?</div></div>

Knifekits.com seems to have the best price for small quantities. As always, if you can buy in bulk, that's the ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To bond the halves are you using adhesive of some type and then grommets?</div></div>

Sup to you, I usually just tack a rivet to the two pieces, but out of the way of the actual final material - then, as I drill/set the remaining rivets, the pieces don't slide around. Try a few things, see what works for you. I like rivets (grommets, really) best, mostly because they offer the most mounting options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For integrated belt loops are you using the heat gun to form the belt loop?</div></div>

I tried making he belt loops out of kydex several times, and you can get it to work - but I've never really been satisfied, and there are better options. Most places that sell kydex also sell various types of clips, tek-lok, molle attachments, etc., and you can always just use the grommets and a couple loops of paracord. If I'm making a sheath for a belt, I might use something like this:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_56_407

or, alternatively, for handgun holsters, Crossbreed sells their clips, which work very well.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/S...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Again, it's personal preference.

Update: Finished the RAT3 sheath.

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

Dr.
Thank you for answering my questions and the links are just what I was looking for. They even offer colors for the tacticool fashion conscious. No excuses now, time to get busy on some Kydex.

Danel