• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Vais Break thread pitch

huckjare

Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
Just got a Remington 700 300 RUM and am unsure of the thread pitch of the Vais break that came on it. It is just a factory contour magnum barrel. If anyone know what the threads would be it would be great so I can build an adaptor to thread on my can. Thanks.

Re: Vais Break thread pitch

I'm not aware of ANY of the factory 300RUM rifles (regardless of the specific model) shipping with threaded barrels unless it came out of the Remington Custom Shop (if so, contact Remy and see if they can't provide you with the info you seek based on your rifle's serial number).

Since it was most likely done after purchase and not at the factory, its hard to tell what thread pattern was chosen. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say its like 5/8x24 which is probably the most common threading for .30, including magnum, rifles such as your 300RUM.

Regardless of who did the thread job and what the thread pattern is, its probably worthwhile for you to get it in the hands of a competent smith to inspect the threads and their concentricity with the bore before you put any suppressor on it (regardless of whether your can is threaded so that it will mate right up or if you'll need an adapter). I've seen too many cans ruined because of shite thread-jobs (incl. factory tubes from major mfgs).

Most Vais brakes come from the mfg in 5/8 X 32 tpi, but it could possibly be a custom order that might be different if you bought the rifle used

Find the Dia. and get some bolts 10-24, 8-32 and such and use them for a thread gage to check with.

Ya I know Vais uses their own pitch, I know it's a bit smaller than 5/8" though. My can is 5/8-24. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find the Dia. and get some bolts 10-24, 8-32 and such and use them for a thread gage to check with. </div></div>

With Vais and their specail thread this route probably won't work, but it will others. Thanks for you response

Since its on a standard magnum contour barrel im going to guess its there mico brake. If thats the case, its a 1/2x32 thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dsink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since its on a standard magnum contour barrel im going to guess its there mico brake. If thats the case, its a 1/2x32 thread.</div></div>

We installed a vias on a standard magnum barrel today. The OD of the barrel at the tenon shoulder was .645". We used the micro brake .750" OD 1/2" X 32.

It is definatly 1/2". Thanks guys, that is all that I needed. 1/2-32 it is. I didn't realize it was a micro brake but now that it is mentioned it is pretty small. Amazing how well it works for it's size. Vais makes a great product

I would not put an adapter on any existing thread and put a suppressor on it without knowing if is was dialed in and threaded for a suppressor. Threading for a brake is not the same and theading for a suppressor. You should use spiders and dial the last couple inches of the barrel perfectly straight to insure no baffle strike and the best accuracy. Muzzle brakes are not usually installed this way. Just my humble advice

JamieD