• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Valkyrie Bolt Action

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
For those of you who shoot the 224 Valkyrie in bolt, what twist rate performs the best and which gun maker do you like the most? I have always wanted to shoot the (very) expensive MPA Valkyrie, but I'm not sure if it is worth the moolah.

Mate, the case does not matter other than the performance that you wish to get. Pick a projectile and velocity that suits (you wish to run) AND then choose your twist rate using the Berger Twist Rate Calculator or similar app.
Pete

Hornady lists the 88gr ELD-M in their load data using a 7-twist. 7-twist is pretty standard for 22-cal heavies, but 224 Valk is markedly slower than the 22BR variants that seem usually to be a 7-twist, so you might want to verify you don’t need something a bit faster, depending on the bullet you use.

I have a long throat, 26” 7 twist from PVA. 88’s going 2880 with varget. It hammers.

Our custom XP-100 in .221 Fireball has a 1-7 twist. The little gun shoots 80 grain Bergers at 2000FPS and stabilizes them perfectly. I have tried 90 grain SMK’s. The stabilization seemed a bit loose. (Slight key-holing at 100 yards) but five rounds hit the full sized ram at 200meters. Go figure.

Still, 1-7 seems to work well. What is a stretch is trying to push 80 to 90 grain bullets through a 1-7 twist barrel with the charge available in the Fireball case. Still, shot several perfect scores including docking down 65 pound steel ram silhouettes at the prescribed 200 meters.
1638543973707.jpeg

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Jackomason - the 223i was one of my considerations - but in all reality I will probably just get a 223 Wylde and call it good. The Valkyrie with its high ballistic coefficient bullets has always intrigued me, but it adds another caliber to my already top heavy collection of guns. The older I get the less time I want to spend working up loads for a multitude of guns and since I already have the brass and dies for 223 that will probably be my go to at this point.

I had a 224 Valkyrie on a TL3. Wasn't all the great. I had a ton of brass and good does, so I made a .20 Valkyrie. I'm running 40 axes at 3900fps and prairie dog accurate to 500yds.

I have a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun on Stiller Action, Bartlein 1:7 twist, Bergara HMR Pro stock. Shoots great factory or hand loads. Im only running 88-90 grain bullets. Shot 95 Berger and had no issues. My daughter warms up at 500 yards and stretches to 750 yards (longest local).
I bought a custom reamer after hearing all the early potential reamer issues. This one seems to do well.

6DC725BF-5580-4F9F-A657-752129816CBA.jpeg

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
1/7 twist. I only built one because I had components from an AR I sold. Run 80's at 3000 fps and its great to 800m. Havent tried it with the heavies yet.

I did a remage with a 700 action from a 6.8 SPC and a Criterion barrel with a 1-7 twist. It's been on the backburner until I get the bolt bushed.