• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Value of a Bergara B-14 BMP

ignitionSoldier

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
Hello! I am new to this forum and just trying to get into the precision shooting world, and I am looking for a rifle. I saw the Bergara BMP rifle on sale for $1,000 and I was wondering if that is a good value for that particular rifle, or are there better options at that price point. Thanks!

Reactions: required_user_name
I have two friends with BMP's that are both quite happy with them. It gets you pretty much everything you need in one stop, with the possible exception of a better trigger. I have a LRP, and while the action is a little nicer, I like the BMP chassis better.
The only real downside to buying a Bergara is that you can't pick up prefit barrels for it like you can some other brands. You can have Bergara put a new one on for a reasonable cost, but you're stuck with one of their contours and calibers. Or you can always have a smith fit one up for you. Factory barrels are good shooters, but if you shoot enough that you expect to burn one out its something to consider.
Another thing to look into is the firing pin diameter. Their rifles used to have issues with cratering small rifle primers. my 6.5 does, but I understand newer rifles (in the premier line at least) have a smaller diameter pin.
As far as value goes it depends on what your end goal is. If you're looking for a rifle that you can shoot as is it's a pretty good buy. If you want to be able to mod it into a full blown competition rifle it's not ideal.

I have two friends with BMP's that are both quite happy with them. It gets you pretty much everything you need in one stop, with the possible exception of a better trigger. I have a LRP, and while the action is a little nicer, I like the BMP chassis better.
The only real downside to buying a Bergara is that you can't pick up prefit barrels for it like you can some other brands. You can have Bergara put a new one on for a reasonable cost, but you're stuck with one of their contours and calibers. Or you can always have a smith fit one up for you. Factory barrels are good shooters, but if you shoot enough that you expect to burn one out its something to consider.
Another thing to look into is the firing pin diameter. Their rifles used to have issues with cratering small rifle primers. my 6.5 does, but I understand newer rifles (in the premier line at least) have a smaller diameter pin.
As far as value goes it depends on what your end goal is. If you're looking for a rifle that you can shoot as is it's a pretty good buy. If you want to be able to mod it into a full blown competition rifle it's not ideal.

why wouldnt i be able to buy a pre fit 700 barrel? they use a rem 700 clone correct?

Reactions: Bender
No, they use a cone shaped bolt face, and a corresponding coned recess cut into the barrel. Remington is flat faced, and a flat bottomed recess in the 700. It's not any more difficult to machine, but there just are not enough Bergara's in circulation for company's to stock barrels cut for the Bergara action.

That makes sense. So if I wanted to buy once and cry once with a rifle I can expand on, would the LRP fit the bill better?

LRP has the same issue with barrels. If i had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bought the LRP, and gone straight to a custom action, barrel and chassis. After swapping out my chassis for one I like better I've easily spent as much as I would have to just buy or build a better rifle. And even though it shoots great, I'm still running a lighter than ideal factory barrel, with an oddball shank.
If you're budget limited to about 1k right now the BMP is a good value. And it may do everything you need, but it's not the best long term value if you want the rifle to grow with you if that makes sense.

Yeah that does. My max is 2000 right now which I assume is way low for a custom rifle. So maybe I'll keep looking for something else.

For $2000, you can look at the Seekins Havak Bravo, Badrock Southfork, or MPA BA PMR. You can also build a bighorn origin for around that as well.

A bighorn origin build with a prefit barrel, triggertech special trigger, and krg bravo chassis will cost you at or just under 2k. Buy once cry once.

Yep, any of the rifles marketed to meet the "production class" requirements will serve you well. But also, if you're not really looking to go down that road there's nothing wrong with that Bergara for it's price point. I'd take it over a production Rem. 700 and equivalent chassis. Both would cost about the same, both would require a gunsmith to fit a shouldered replacement barrel, and the Bergara would probably out-shoot the Remington.
Honestly I don't ever see myself competing for a podium spot in any sort of competitive shooting sport. If I had just picked up a BMP I doubt I would have changed a thing, and would probably be shooting it as is. I got the LRP and then decided I wasn't happy with the chassis, which lead me to spending more than I wanted to. I only say I would have done the custom from the get go looking at what I have invested at this point. If you want to compete, or know that your equipment is capable of it, then custom (or semi-custom) is the way to go. If you just want a good shooting rifle at a price point, that's a good option.

Ok. So I think I will bite the bullet and go for the custom build to get exactly what I want. Is the level of effort to make a custom rifle from a barreled action, stock, etc significant? I have messed around building AR-15s, but never a precision gun before. Is it more difficult than building an AR?

If you have a torque wrench, action wrench, barrel vise, headspace gauges, and a small torque wrench in in/lbs, it’s pretty easy. It’s even easier if it’s already a barreled action and you just have to put the trigger in and bolt it to the chassis or stock. So no I wouldn’t say it’s harder that building an AR

Ok. So I think I will bite the bullet and go for the custom build to get exactly what I want. Is the level of effort to make a custom rifle from a barreled action, stock, etc significant? I have messed around building AR-15s, but never a precision gun before. Is it more difficult than building an AR?

If you like the BMP chassis you can buy it off their website for 400 bucks. It’s actually a damn good chassis for that price.

I have an Origin build in one.
ED1CD610-1832-4B0B-AA36-6285C0D044C7.png

Building a bolt action is the easiest thing you’ll ever do, mainly if you get a barreled action from somewhere. With a $2k budget it’s Damn hard to beat the mpa pmr considering the quality of barreled action + chassis you’re getting, and they use a $175 trigger tech trigger that’s phenomenal. You’ll just need to pick a brake. It’s honestly a full custom rifle.

Reactions: ignitionSoldier
Well I made a decision:
  1. Big Horn Origin
  2. Criterion MTU 6.5CM 1-8
  3. XLR Element 3.0
  4. Trigger Tech Special with Flat Blade.
That brought me to about 2050 with taxes! I'll post a picture as soon as I can cobble it togther! Thanks for the advice all!