• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

value of an older remington 700

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
i ran across an older 700 30-06 bdl at the LGS on consignment for $500. it has an older leupold vx-2c with a nice dent in the windage adjumnet cap. i'm thinking the guy probably feel or he dropped the rifle. i asked them to call the guy with my offer for $425 and he can keep the scope and mount. is $425 fair? if $500 fair? the rifle is in ok shape. not perfect, but not beat. the action serial number is a C prefix, but from what i just learned doing a search, that doesn't mean anything for the date of manufacture. i'm going to stop in later today and look at the date code on the barrel. the one guy there said he thinks it's from '91.

so what's a fair price?

a new 700 in 30-06 is about $700 usually.
425 is a gift i would say 300 especially if unknown condition.
just think for 2-3 tanks of gas/dont get a extra large coffee for 2 months on the way to work and you can have a factory new one

The old are supposed to better according to urban legend :p. I figure if I can get one that is equal to or better, then it's a win. I just don't want to pay too much or insult the guy.

And yes, I am following the thread on "the fate of the 700", and all the other threads that pop up every month.

I just don't know if there is a blue book value or what others have seen thru experience.

The scope is probably worth at least 100, not sure which VX-II. If it is an older VX-II 3-9x40 they still sell for a little over 200 on eBay. You can go to walmart and buy a new remington 700 for 350-400 bucks. It wont have a jeweled bolt, and the coating will be different. Depending on the scope you could be either on the low or high side of fair.

An action will cost you 350.

i didnt get it across very well the first time, but one issue i have with buying a used factory rifle is that it comes out of the factory shooting 1-1/2" groups.
then some one gets it and torches the barrel, bends the barrel doing something stupid (you cant imagine the shit i have seen) sells it to you and then you cant return it.
if you get a factory gun even if it shoots like shit, you can keep sending it back.
that might make you crazy but your not out the $.
if you have some type of basic function/return policy then grab it if you want. but if it a done deal id stay away because of the unknown.

Gotcha

I looked down the bore with a flash light and it was pretty dirty. I couldn't tell if the "specs" I saw were pits or carbon build up. Definitely hasn't been cleaned in awhile.

I'd be better off buying the 308 full stainless with a jeweled bolt for 480 at field n stream.

Serial number with a C prefix is 1982 and is what a few of the guys building MK13's are looking for. It may be "correct" for other clone build too... e.g. M40A? .
I have been looking for a C prefix and would have paid a premium to find one in "ok" shape. I found a NICE B prefix BDL and I kinda hate to part it out to build a MK13 but it will be parted out soon. It is in 95% condition and I paid $475 for it with scope, case, reloading dies, and some other smalls.

It sounds like you found a BDL as well... nicer stock, high gloss bluing, and jewled bolt.

Well, looks like I just bought myself an '06 lol. The LGS just called.

He accepted the offer of 425. I'm hoping I can sell the stock for $100 or more.

here it is

jT4zVp4.jpg

The M40a-x variants are short action.

Im not sure if a C donor would be good for an M24 build (which are Long action .308)

not worth much im afraid.

Six digit (no prefix) or five digit might command that sales price.

I understand what it is; I was addressing the M40 potential question.

M40’s are six digit (no prefix) ideally within a preferred number range.

A1’s were made from recycled M40 actions but they did buy some later ones to replace worn or lost ones. E prefix and C as well I think.(mine’s an E) but they were all short actions.

The M24 is Long action but I’m not sure of the range. I *think* some were RR prefix but I’m not sure of other serial ranges.

my plan is to get it threaded for my tbac U9, drop it into a KRG xray and top it off with my vortex hd lh. we'll see...lol