• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Value of Leupold Scope

madmikes262

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2013
SW Arizona
Wanting to know the value of an older Leupold scope.It started as a Vari X 3 3.5-10 X 40mm Long range M3 matte with duplex reticle.It was upgraded by Leupold to the M5 turrets and specifically set up for 308 168 SRA Mk load.It hasnt been used as I found it in a box in closet and wondering what its worth if I were to sell it.

I bought one in great used condition off ebay for $300 shipped a few months ago. 90's manufacture Var-X III with M3 knobs and duplex reticle.

the OP, but I can't believe vari-x M3s are going that cheap. That's a hell of a deal.

Did you upgrade to a mil reticle too or just the M5 turrets? If you upgraded reticles I'd say maybe $750 but probably more like $700.

M3 and M1 duplex reticle scopes still bring $500-$600 regularly so I'm not sure where people are getting them for $300, the 1" tube tactical models with covered turrets and duplex bring more than that. Ebay or Gunbroker is going to be your best bet to sell it.

Did you upgrade to a mil reticle too or just the M5 turrets? If you upgraded reticles I'd say maybe $750 but probably more like $700.

M3 and M1 duplex reticle scopes still bring $500-$600 regularly so I'm not sure where people are getting them for $300, the 1" tube tactical models with covered turrets and duplex bring more than that. Ebay or Gunbroker is going to be your best bet to sell it.
Yes the Reticle was upgraded from Duplex to Mil Dot

Mike,

I wouldn't take less than $700. It's probably worth quite a bit more. Leupold has fallen out of favor with many but made in USA 30mm vari-x M3s are awesome scopes. No idea about the M5 turrets, but stock M3 mildots should bring at least $700+. Anything under that is a deal.

I couldn't believe the price so I jumped on it pretty quick. Eventually I will get the reticle changed to the TMR but right now it works just fine with the duplex.

Thanks for the thread. I have 2 Vari-x 3s 3.5x10x40 “tacticals” that have been sitting on a bench for at least 10years. Came across them while moving to a new shop. Now I have to decide what to do with them. Keep them/sell them/trade them for a spotting scope r rangefinder.....