• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Value of Sporterized 1903 Springfield made by Remington in 308 Norma mag

Ridgerunner60

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2017
Hi guys,
I have an opportunity to get a 1903 Springfield made by Remington in Norma mag. Looks to be in excellent shape. Could you give me an idea of it’s value? Here are a couple pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• 95C8144C-85C1-465B-BCAE-609419DD2900.jpeg
    95C8144C-85C1-465B-BCAE-609419DD2900.jpeg
    764.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 067DD17B-10DE-4F41-8538-2A7F5B200F80.jpeg
    067DD17B-10DE-4F41-8538-2A7F5B200F80.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 18A9653C-349B-4D2D-8E60-A0378AD16169.jpeg
    18A9653C-349B-4D2D-8E60-A0378AD16169.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 598
You say made by Remington meaning the marking on the front receiver ring is Remington. Remington made the receiver but it went out as a service rifle not a Sporter.

That's a beautiful rifle and they typically sell for a lot less than their utility value.

Unless they are made by Griffin and Howe or some other big name builder these go for less than $1000 typically.

03 people will say to price it at the sum of its parts, if it has rare parts its more valuable.

That one has a drilled receiver so that means the receiver will not be sought after.

There is hardly ever any value in restoring them.

That one could go for $400 to $700 in my estimation.

It's a nice rifle classic workhorse hunting piece.

It looks nicely done.

If you buy it for its current configuration than fine enjoy it.

If you are buying to restore or because you want a GI 03 I'd hold off.

Thanks for the info, definitely helps. Was looking to make a trade. Only going to use it for hunting.

I agree with Claine. 99% of my firearms are milsurps and I only buy ones that are in original military configuration. A Remington 1903 was probably made in the late 30's early 40's and would probably go for around $1000. But since it has been sporterized, especially D&T, its probably around 4-600. I have no clue why someone would rebarrel it since it was originally in 30-06 unless the barrel was absolute trash from the corrosive ammo of the day.

FWIW - There are a number of sporterized 03's on gunbroker in differing calibers including norma mag, each is $500 or less with no bids.

Rifles like this offer user value but have very little to no collector value. It would be a hard sell at 400.00 and could take awhile to move.

RTH1800 and Defender3 are giving you the harder reality of it. I did you little service by pulling my punches.

My local honey hole usually has a full rack of service grade 03s....

PA105988.JPG

In as issued they generally go from $600 and up.

The shop keeper rarely buys sporters unless they are unique or really well done.

This is one I talked a friend into buying...

P9247077.JPG

P9247078.JPG

P9247081.JPG

P9247079.JPG

Everything is period, Noske scopes were very highly rated in their time, the Griffin and Howe mount is a valuable part, the USMC 1935 engraving intrigued me and makes me wonder what the story of this rifle is. Its a Rock Island Arsenal that falls into the serials of a bunch of USMC rifles.

He paid $650 and in my opinion its a rifle with a bunch more desireable features than yours. The sight blank alone in the Lyman receiver is worth 20% of the rifle cost. The Griffin and Howe mount is close to 50% of the value, the Noske is 10%. Not much money there for the rifle.

I keep finding him long slide scales/peeps to buy but he refuses to. If anyone has a Lyman short blank get in touch with me Im looking.

Problem is when people buy a Sporter they are typically buying it from an estate and it was "Favorite Uncle Ed's rifle" with a lot of sentimental value but no monetary value.

If you are buying a rifle you will be paying in the lower hundreds.

If you want to buy sentiment that can be expensive.

I wish I had bought that RI 03. I ask my coworker often to sell it to me. One of these days he will at his cost. He never shoots it.

Last edited:
RTH1800 and Defender3 are giving you the harder reality of it. I did you little service by pulling my punches.

View attachment 6951394

The shop keeper rarely buys sporters unless they are unique or really well done.

View attachment 6951397

View attachment 6951399

View attachment 6951400

View attachment 6951401

Everything is period, Noske scopes were very highly rated in their time, the Griffin and Howe mount is a valuable part, the USMC 1935 engraving intrigued me and makes me wonder what the story of this rifle is. Its a Rock Island Arsenal that falls into the serials of a bunch of USMC rifles.

He paid $650 and in my opinion its a rifle with a bunch more desireable features than yours. The sight blank alone in the Lyman receiver is worth 20% of the rifle cost. The Griffin and Howe mount is close to 50% of the value, the Noske is 10%. Not much money there for the rifle.

I keep finding him long slide scales/peeps to buy but he refuses to. If anyone has a Lyman short blank get in touch with me Im looking.

Problem is when people buy a Sporter they are typically buying it from an estate and it was "Favorite Uncle Ed's rifle" with a lot of sentimental value but no monetary value.

I wish I had bought that RI 03. I ask my coworker often to sell it to me. One of these days he will at his cost. He never shoots it.

FWIW is the best I can do on punch-pulling. :)

By the way my friend paying $650 for that rifle tells me the retailer paid under $300.

He deserves the markup to pay insurance, light bills, heat, travel to find it, etc and than needs to make a profit.

Reactions: Stevo86
Damg

View attachment 6951394

View attachment 6951397

View attachment 6951399

View attachment 6951400

View attachment 6951401

dang where is your honey hole?!

Pmclaine pre-war model 70 with birdshead safety?

No the tag says 1947.

Someone was looking for a Model 70 and I went by the shop to see what was to be had.

They ended up finding a really nice 1941 or 42 that they are having built into a M70 Sniper.

and regards the safety levers. Ive learned all Pre 64 bolt shrouds are interchangeable.

My Model 70 USMC Sniperish posted above is a 51 but I downdated it with a butterfly Prewar safety.