• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Value revolver similar to Ruger SP101?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
Hey guys,

I don't keep up on the latest handguns but shopping for another one
whistle.gif
. I like the Ruger SP101 in .357 and just curious if there are any comparable/similar models I should consider to save money. Things I want which currently make the SP101 a leading candidate:

- smaller/mid-size 5-shot frame
- stainless
- dual 357 / 38 spl
- 2 to 3" bbl
I remain open to single or dbl-action.

Uses for pistol:

- home defense
- CCW

wm_md_4444120.jpg

Thanks for any recommendations!

Re: Value revolver similar to Ruger SP101?

Well, I was gonna suggest you just get an SP-101, but then I checked their pricing. It amazes me how much things (of nearly all natures) have gone up in price.

Funny, I always thought of Ruger as being more of a value brand.

It'll cost you more but I REALLY like a S&W 642 Airweight for concealed carry. Hammerless makes for a lot easier draw from concealment and the ones I have are amazingly accurate for such a short barrel revolver. I change out the springs in mine to Apex springs for lighter trigger pull.

Look for a used SP101 if you want to save money. They are bullet proof and if theres any problems Ruger will take care of you.

I find Taurus to be rather mediocre and in terms of VALUE, think an SW is a better deal. More expensive, but worth it.

That said, a 40SW/10mm Taurus might sway me.

Stay with old S&W revolvers. Proven. Reliable. Valuable. Sound. American.

New is becoming not good. When it comes to guns, old is good, often.

Some people like the Charter Arms/Rossi/Taurus price point firearms, and these are ok for those that will be shot very little. There is a reason that a lot of gunsmiths refuse to work on them (sub quality parts, cost of keeping them running as good as a ruger/smith/colt would buy said top shelf brand).

If you cannot afford new, look used, you will not regret it.

S&W is very nearly if not the standard by which revolvers are judged these days, there's a reason.

Ruger has turned out good revolvers for years, I've never had issue with one, but from the internet lore it seems their QC may be slipping a little, atleast on their high volume of sales guns, the LC_s.

If you get a Taurus take out every screw, degrease it, loctite it, and check it periodically.

Smith has a few black eyes with canted barrels recently, plus the internal lock. But I think all manufacturers will have a blem or two in the long road of production.

I choose Smith and Wesson because I get quality in the gun, and in the shooting experience (Light enough to carry, rugged, good smooth action and trigger).

Ruger is tougher in the sense that they are over built for what they need to be, more steel means more toughness but also more weight, which makes carrying less fun. Also their stock actions and triggers are rather rough.

I would say that Colt is at least 10% nicer than a Smith in their fullsize revolver lineup when it comes to fit, finish, and shine, but you are going to pay more than an extra 10% for it.... so much more you won't want to use it.