• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

values

Michael

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2001
Hood County, Texas
So where exactly did this cash value/trade value thing come from? It baffles me but then I'm easily confused, at least to the point that I'd not do business with anyone who did that.

Re: values

I'm just as confused as you are. Are you referring to when someone is selling Item A but will accept Item B in trade plus cash to complete the transaction?

he means. im selling a gun. i say ill take $1000 cash. trade value is $1200. the trade value is a number they want for whatever they are trading. say you have a gently used NF to trade. you would value that at $1500. i would need to sweeten the pot on my end to now meet your $1500 value

I thought the OP was referring the difference between the two: sellers asking two separate prices for their own items, as in $3000 cash or $3500 trade. If that's what he's referring to, then it's probably to signify that the seller is far more interested in cash at the present time than in getting trade items.

ZL hit it.
Decent explanation too.

I always thought if say, item X had a value of a dollar, that was it's worth. Never could wrap my head around how that $1 item suddenly got to be $1.25 on a trade. Seems to me that if I'm going to trade for that inflated $1 item, my price would inflate by the same margin.
Maybe that's just the saleman in me. Or the idiot in me.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ZL hit it.
Decent explanation too.

I always thought if say, item X had a value of a dollar, that was it's worth. Never could wrap my head around how that $1 item suddenly got to be $1.25 on a trade. Seems to me that if I'm going to trade for that inflated $1 item, my price would inflate by the same margin.
Maybe that's just the saleman in me. Or the idiot in me..... </div></div>

I'm assuming you're talking about the wonderful folks on texasguntrader.com?

I was wondering the same question when I first starting using that site and I think I have it figured out.

Basically... People are willing to cut a better deal when it comes to straight up cash for an item, usually just under the market rate in hopes of a quick sale.

When it comes to trading a firearm for another they adjust to maximum value of it so that what they get offered is of comparable quality or even slightly higher quality.