• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Van Orden Sniper photos

Winchester70

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2014
Let's see if this works... I've attached a composite .pdf file of some better quality photos of the Van Orden Sniper rifle (S/N 351439) sold on Rock Island Auctions May 3rd. I took a lot of photos of which these are a few. I am posting them in hope that members of this forum who have first hand knowledge of the Van Orden rifles will be willing to comment about this particular rifle. Having had it out of the stock, my observations are:

BARRELED ACTION: The action is standard mid-1950's Model 70 "Heavy Weight Target" (Catalog No. G7044C). Clip slotted receiver (standard on all 30-06 M70 target models from 1937-1963), factory drilled & tapped on top of receiver/bridge and left rear (for receiver sight). The barrel is 24" medium heavy contour, under chamber barrel date stamp '30-06 55' (for 1955 manufacture of the barrel), standard exposed roll markings. This one has what Roger Rule refers to as a "second variation" target barrel, as it has a 3/8" dovetail at the muzzle to accept the front sight mounting block (as opposed to the two 6-48 holes that defined the "third variation" target barrel). There is no provision on the underside of the barrel to accept a fore end stock screw (I've yet to encounter a Model 70 Target Model that was dovetailed on the underside - this one is no exception).

SIGHTS: Lyman 77 globe front sight, Lyman 48WH receiver sight, Lyman-type telescope sight blocks on barrel and receiver ring.

STOCK: The original literature that accompanied these rifles from Evaluators Ltd (shown p. 101 of Senich's "The One-Round War) described the stock as "dense walnut 4-position Sniper Stock with length of pull, drop and pitch approximating that of the U.S. Rifle cal 30 M1903A1; stock smooth finished and drenched to saturation with linseed oil, without checkering or lacquer". The stock dimensions on S/N 351439 seem to match the M1903A1 type 'C' stock pretty well: LOP 13.0" (M70 standard stocks were 13.5"), drop at heel about 1.4" (M70 stocks were closer to 2.5"), butt angle about 90 degrees (greater than the M70 standard stock). The butt plate is M70 standard rifle checkered steel with protrusion at top inlet into the stock. The stock is of course uncheckered and has an oil finish. 1 1/4" standard Winchester sling swivels. The fore end dimensions look pretty close to M70 Standard rifle. There is a provision for the fore end barrel screw in the stock (like the Standard rifle stocks), which on the Van Orden rifle is filled by a shortened stock screw with an inset escutcheon in the barrel channel (as the barrel is not dovetailed to accept a fore end screw).

The only thing that seems 'non-factory' to me is that the barrel channel is mostly free floated (enough to easily pass a dollar bill) except for the last couple of inches at the muzzle end. I'm not aware that the Winchester factory ever 'free floated' anything prior to 1963. On the other hand, the Evaluators limited literature indicates that these rifles were match tuned at the shop prior to sale and "warranted ready as received for competition without further modification other than the determination of the user's zero."

If anybody has any knowledge of what work was done on the Van Orden rifles at Evaluators Ltd, I would love to know.

Thanks

Attachments

• M70 Van Orden Sniper composite-1A1.pdf
    283.5 KB · Views: 218
Thank you. It is in quite nice shape, and I am mystified as to why neither the consignor nor RIA described it as a Van Orden rifle in their May Premier Auction Catalog (Excellent Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Bolt Action Target Rifle).

If anybody viewing this conversation either owns one of these, has handled one, or is familiar with the work done on these rifles by Evaluators Ltd, I'm particularly interested in knowing about the stock:
- Are other original Van Orden Sniper rifle stocks free floated?
- Were any of them glass bedded by Evaluators Ltd prior to sale (as claimed on p. 48 of Chandler's "Death From Afar - Volume 1")? S/N 351439 is not glass bedded but the barrel channel has been relieved a bit.
- Do other Van Orden Snipers have the "dummy" fore end bedding screw? This was certainly a factory thing - as the stock is dimensioned as specified by Evaluators Ltd yet incorporates this superfluous feature. I found a picture of another of these rifles this forum (http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...sniper-rifles/143361-usmc-winchester-m70.html) that gives enough of a glimpse of the underside of the fore end to see that is does not have a fore end bedding screw (like the M70 Featherweight or Varmint Rifle stocks). On the other hand a Van Orden rifle that was listed on RIAC a few years ago (http://www.gun-photos.info/gunphotosphotoid=48683&iid=250924&aid=48) does have the hole in the stock like S/N 351439.

Would appreciate any info that might be out there.

Winchester 70, I am wondering whether you would like to contact the family of Vic Dawson, the original owner of your Van Orden Model 70. I can put you in contact if you wish. His son in law was an employee in my office and Vic was a friend and shooting companion. His daughter and son in law live near me.

Are other original Van Orden Sniper rifle stocks free floated?
- Were any of them glass bedded by Evaluators Ltd prior to sale (as claimed on p. 48 of Chandler's "Death From Afar - Volume 1")? S/N 351439 is not glass bedded but the barrel channel has been relieved a bit.

I don't have first hand experience re Van Orden's with Sporter stocks, but I am familiar with the Marksman stocked version. Attached are pics of a Van Orden sold in August 1953. It came to me with two Marksman stocks that were reportedly both original Van Orden parts. One was full dimension (on rifle) and the other was loose. The loose stock had vintage bedding that was expertly done, and interestingly, it had been sanded on the sides to reduce the overall width/profile by about an inch. That might have been done bring the rifle under the 10 lb weight limit that was in place in the early 1950s re service rifles. (The rifle w/ fat Marksman stock along with the medium heavy barrel was a little over 10 lbs). I believe this is the type of bedding was done by Evaluators, and the barrel was free-floated in front of the bedding. My local gunsmith looked at the stock and said it was the old clear "Accu-glass' type bedding from the 1950s. That's all I know. (I subsequently used that spare Marksman stock for a M70 sniper replica build w/ a 10x Unertl scope).

Attachments

• IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Vintage Marksman stock channel.JPG
    Vintage Marksman stock channel.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Marksman_stock_profile_comparison.JPG
    Marksman_stock_profile_comparison.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Van-Orden_top_clip_slot.JPG
    Van-Orden_top_clip_slot.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Van Orden document1.jpg
    Van Orden document1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Story...? Well, I bought this gun off of GunBroker back in 2006. It was up for auction and I was deployed to Fallujah at the time. Saw it once when I had a couple mins to get online. Tax-free money burning a hole in my pocket, I thought the rifle looked good, had never seen one before, and decided I had to have it. Probably paid too much, but whatever. Maybe put a hundred rounds through it in all this time. Shoots pretty damn good. Will do no-shit MOA with old Lake City ball.

Came with a 16X Lyman Super Targetspot, box and all. Still have that but think the rifle looks better with the USMC Unertl.

Think I'm going to introduce this rifle to a deer this year. Maybe Saturday...