• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vandyke RIfles Input or Product Review

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
Vandyke Rifle is located here in Kansas, where I live. I am a CNC machine tool dealer and one of our sales people calls on John's shop. My sales guy actually has one of Vandyke's rifles build on the AI chassis and is very happy with it. Just wanted to get input to see if anyone has any experience with his product as well. His site is:
http://www.vandykerifles.com/
Does anyone have a Vandyke Rifle that they would be willing to do a product review of?

I know this is a big GAP crowd, I personally own one of George's sticks, I'm just thinking about "distributing the wealth"
Thanks Much Guys
Ryan

Re: Vandyke RIfles Input or Product Review

So far the only Van Dyke appearance has been far from stellar. If you are friends with Mr. Van Dyke, I suggest you refer him to the attached thread and have him deal with the issue. Keydiverfla is a great guy and as honest as they come. I believe Mr. Van Dyke needs to address this matter.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1098301

opinions vary so do a search and you will see there has been a bit of a stink about John of late- that said I have no dog in that fight so I have no comment.

Personally I own 2 of his rifles and have a third being built now. I have a 22-284 and a 338LM and both are top notch. I also own two GAP 308's as well as several other customs. I will say there are some advantages to using a larger operation like GAP. It is much easier to pick up a phone and speak with GAP any day you call. Being that Johns operation is very small it might take a couple tries to get in touch with him. Additionally, I will add that he has been going thru some very trying times with some personal family issues which I feel have caused some delays and has consumed much of his time.

dksd39, I'm aware of what you are talking about and that has to be hard for anyone to go through. It seems like he has a good product just not the manpower or equipment. My sales guy has been talking to him about expanding and adding some CNC mills and lathes to his shop.

I did a search, and not a whole heck of a lot came up. The Decision Maker and Tactical Eliminator he makes does look like sweet rigs and I'm sure it's what a lot of guys here would like.

A good friend of mine had some work done by Van Dyke. He has only said good things about them, and was pleased with the work and price. He plans on having another rifle reworked by Van Dyke. He lives about 20 Miles from their shop, and stops by to talk with the guys there often. Good group of guys, that do good work from what I've heard.

I had a rifle built by him in 300WSM. Never a complaint. I did however have to re-fit a muzzle break because it was threaded way off. But once I had that fixed, it shot perfect.

They were good to deal with. I spoke with his wife I believe and she even sent me 10 free rounds when I bought the rifle!!!

My turn to chime in...
I am the owner of the Mauser. I also have a "Reaper" John built. What pissed me off to no end was John, Mr. VanDyke not even saying "I'm sorry". I would have let it go, maybe. I know he is busy, moving into a new shop and his wife was ill. Understandable, but to add insult to injury was, after looking, the shitty scope mount (it was to be replaced) is bent! How the hell do you bend the locking screw on a twist in scope mount without tossing the rifle? I know many people are happy with their products from VanDyke and I hope he gets his business and QC issues under control. I got a .338 Lapua "Reaper" VanDyke built for sale FWIW.

From what I have been around it has been great. No issues what so ever. 1 rifle built and one getting ready to go his way.

not that pleasant of an experience deal with vandyke rifles

I have dealing with John Van Dyke for over 14 months, waiting for my Reaper, which was suppose to be done in 4 months. Everytime I call I get "Your rifle is next" " I have all your Parts" " They sent me the wrong barrel". He never calls and keeps telling me it will be ready in 3 weeks. I have a deposit of over 3 thousand dollars and can't get ahold of him for the past two months. He promised the rifle again before a year was up. This was a standard Reaper build promised in 4 months, I waited patiently for 12 months. Not once has he called me to explain anything, now he has a recording with a full answering machine. All I wanted was a good buying experience and what he promised, nothing more. I hope I can get my 3 thousand dollars down payment back. Can anyone help?

Stop the phone calls and emails and send him a letter RRR with a copy to your attorney (or better yet have your attorney write the letter).

Phone calls are a waste of time at this point.

Thanks Scoutt77, that is my next step... a shame, the Reaper was my dream weapon....

Did you send a donor receiver, if so, contact the ATF. Call in the big dogs and stop playing with this dick.

Thank God for the "good guys" on the Hide!! Hearing horror stories like these makes my skin cringe.

Good luck to all getting your situations sqiuared away.

here is my experience with john van dyke, john was a very nice guy/very talented rifle maker who made me a beautiful & very accurate rifle [about 4 grand when finally done], he was slow to get my rifle finished, i got impatient with waiting and calling him so i called him and told him i wanted to drive out to his house and watch him finish the gun, we made an appt for a weekend in a few weeks and I drove to Kansas from Alabama, stayed over one night in Kansas, and left the next day with my rifle. you may want to try that. i also heard his wife was ill for a time [that may be what is holding him up].

ATF referred me over to the Kansas State Attorney General.
from the file a consumer complaint

Fuck the ATF. Have to respectfully disagree with you Roscoe. If it were me I would do all I can to handle without the governments involvement.

I like the tactical eliminator model ....
I was thinking about getting one, but reading all the previous post I think I need to reconsider.
Any suggestions?