• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget, 140 hybrids and 6.5x47L

Rog2069

Baconator
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
From everything I’ve read the Berger book must be incredibly conservative. For 140 hybrids and varget the boom stops at 35.0gr as the max charge with a relatively low velocity. I’ve seen as much as 39.3gr of varget being used behind a 140gr hybrid by a friend.

So I shot a 300yd ladder this past Friday only using the maximum charge being 35.0, per the book. Found a node from 33.4-33.8 that grouped .33moa but it’s got to be slower than Christmas. At 35.0 I saw no pressure signs whatsoever @ 90 degree temperature, so clearly I can exceed book maximum working upward watching for issues.

Equipment used:
Origin action
Hart #7 26” 1/8 twist
205m primer

So, My question for the masses - what’s your go to load for the 140s using varget, how far off the lands are you and what velocity are you seeing?

Thanks in advance!

I just finished load devlopmemt with 140 RDF amd varget.

36.5 grains with CCI 450 40 thou jump 2745 FPS in a 25” 1:8 Bartlein.

The Berger manual shows them loaded on a short OAL. I imagine you are loading long which lets you go higher. I see the same issue for my 6x47l with 105 hybrids. I started at 36 and went to 39.5 h4350 with no signs of pressure. My load for the 105 is 39.0. Just because I had a good wide node.

I say keep going up by .3 to .5 gn per step. What I do is load 4 at a step. Then I take 1 at each step level and shoot it for signs of pressure. Then I go back and shot the 3 across the chronograph to get some preliminary numbers looking for a good node. Then I work on the chosen node for a seating depth test.

David

The Berger manual shows them loaded on a short OAL. I imagine you are loading long which lets you go higher. I see the same issue for my 6x47l with 105 hybrids. I started at 36 and went to 39.5 h4350 with no signs of pressure. My load for the 105 is 39.0. Just because I had a good wide node.

I say keep going up by .3 to .5 gn per step. What I do is load 4 at a step. Then I take 1 at each step level and shoot it for signs of pressure. Then I go back and shot the 3 across the chronograph to get some preliminary numbers looking for a good node. Then I work on the chosen node for a seating depth test.

David
Yes that’s correct. Book says load em to a COAL of 2.800 and I’m @ 2.8235

reloading books are mostly worthless. they dont take into account the

even the Hodgon book lists max charges and velocities below Hornady Factory

I start at 36.0 grains of varget and work up from there. You are almost guaranteed to find a winning load between 36.5 and 37.5 grains with a 140 grain hybrid.