• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget Alternative

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have been using Varget for 175 gr SMKs in .308 and 69 gr. hornady match in .223.

I can't find varget.

What are the 2nd and 3rd choices? I am looking for something as temp insensitave as possible. How temp sensitive is your recomendation?

Thanks

Re: Varget Alternative

It has been my experience that RL-15 gives me exactly the same results with the same loads as varget.
(With .224 69 SMK's and 80 grain a-maxs.)

I would say anything you can find in stock would be a good alternative.

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rovieairto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been my experience that RL-15 gives me exactly the same results with the same loads as varget.
(With .224 69 SMK's and 80 grain a-maxs.) </div></div>

I've heard great thing about RL-15, esp for lighter bullets in 308.
How temp sensitive is RL-15?

Bench Mark and TAC are both great options.They're not inferior to Varget just different.

I have heard that it is a fairly temperature insensitive powder.
I guess it is not entirely a single base powder though.
I have been using it in 308 with 155 A-max's.
44.5 is about as high as I go in mag length loads.
I want to try some RL-17 with 168-178 grain 308's.

Bloody, care to elaborate on where! I am in need of some.

It's at a gun/pawn shop in Mitchell South Dakota. I'm not sure if he would ship it but if you are interested I could try to find out for you.