• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget in 6.5 Creedmoor starting load?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Anyone who has experience loading 6.5Creed w/ Varget and could give a starting load for 130gr Hybrids? I looked on Hodgdon site for load data, and there is no match for my bullet, but the closest match was a 130gr AB, which is like 31.5-35.0. Anyone else tried this and can give some approximate ranges to start with? I was given about 30lbs of Varget, so if I can find a load for it, i can shoot cheap for awhile.

The Berger book shows 33.5 grains starting load @ approximately2458 fps and 37.5 grains max load at approximately 2707 fps of Varget with the Berger 130 grain Match VLD Target bullet. Nothing shown for their 130 grain Hybrids.

Lyman LRP handbook has a load for the 130 VLD using Hornady brass and CCI200 primers. 32.5-34.8grs at 2619fps in a 24" bbl. That load gives up about 200fps to RL16 for reference.

^ I heard varget was slow but I didn’t know it was that bad. Op if you find a load post up some numbers.
    Yea, I found an ok load w/ RL16, which I can get blazing (2825 in a 16.5"). Im not expecting the Varget to be viable, but like I said, the cost savings make it worth trying. It'll only be a ~650 yd at most gun, so I really dont need much performance.

Had this same issue last year. I started low at 33.5 and the results were ridiculously slow. Wasted components up to 35.9 grains. Next test started at 38.0 and I stopped at 40.3 with pressure signs. Settled in 39.5 grains which resulted in 2782fps out of a 18” barrel.

Once fired Prime factory brass
    Fed 210m primers
    39.5 Varget
    Berger 130 ar hybrid
    CBTO 2.195
    SD was 9

Had this same issue last year. I started low at 33.5 and the results were ridiculously slow. Wasted components up to 35.9 grains. Next test started at 38.0 and I stopped at 40.3 with pressure signs. Settled in 39.5 grains which resulted in 2782fps out of a 18” barrel.

Once fired Prime factory brass
    Fed 210m primers
    39.5 Varget
    Berger 130 ar hybrid
    CBTO 2.195
    SD was 9
    What were increments? I'm shooting Norma brass as well, so I wonder if couldn't do .5 jumps at the beginning of the ladder.

Reactions: tnc
    I went up in .2 grain increments
    I started at 33.5gr to be safe, which was 2340, but made big jumps to 35.8, then went a little smaller. All in all, just started seeing pressure signs at 40.3 (which hit 2740 in my 16.5"). Some very accurate nodes on the way up, just need to narrow. Looked like potential around 37.5 (~2570) & around 39.5 (2680). This is only a 500-600 yd max gun so if ES/SD & accuracy are there, I have no problem with a slow load...those desert tech barrels aren't cheap haha

Reactions: tnc
    Since I have 8lbs laying around for other stuff I tried some of this with 140s this past weekend went from 35 to 37.2 which was a little over max book with no signs of pressure. Running around 2600fps out of a 22" barrel. Kinda wishing I started at 36 and went to 38+ to find actual max.

Since I have 8lbs laying around for other stuff I tried some of this with 140s this past weekend went from 35 to 37.2 which was a little over max book with no signs of pressure. Running around 2600fps out of a 22" barrel. Kinda wishing I started at 36 and went to 38+ to find actual max.

I used 38gr with the 147's in a 28" bartlein for a while. If I remember right it was around 2720 fps. Shot great, not too hot either.

From what digging and reading on the subject I've done I think the real use of Varget in the 65 Creedmoor is with the 123 grain bullets and lighter.
    I am just finishing up a 6.5x47 and I know it's a favorite there but will also be trying it in the 65 creed with 123 custom comps.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
    Anyone who has experience loading 6.5Creed w/ Varget and could give a starting load for 130gr Hybrids? I looked on Hodgdon site for load data, and there is no match for my bullet, but the closest match was a 130gr AB, which is like 31.5-35.0. Anyone else tried this and can give some approximate ranges to start with? I was given about 30lbs of Varget, so if I can find a load for it, i can shoot cheap for awhile.

I haven’t tried Varget with 123s yet but it works VERY well with 130gr AR Hybrids, clocking at 2868fps from my 24” Bartlein barrel. I did a 10 round load work up with .4gr between charges, looking for nothing but pressure signs. By the time I got a faint ejector mark, velocity was crazy high, so much so that I won’t repeat it here. All ten charges went into a group that was about .7”. With the load I settled on, .3s and .4s are the norm and .2s are fairly common. Pic below is the most recent group I put on paper. It measured .291”

Anyway, if I were you, I’d start at about 37gr, and load 10 rounds increasing .4gr per charge and find the max for your rifle. After that, do your normal load development routine. I’d be very surprised if you didn’t come up with a load that bug holes. You don’t hear about it much but Varget works great out of the 6.5 Creedmoor with bullets up to 130gr.

John

DAC553D5-BD13-45A6-853A-CF05D4808579.jpeg

I haven’t tried Varget with 123s yet but it works VERY well with 130gr AR Hybrids, clocking at 2868fps from my 24” Bartlein barrel. I did a 10 round load work up with .4gr between charges, looking for nothing but pressure signs. By the time I got a faint ejector mark, velocity was crazy high, so much so that I won’t repeat it here. All ten charges went into a group that was about .7”. With the load I settled on, .3s and .4s are the norm and .2s are fairly common. Pic below is the most recent group I put on paper. It measured .291”

Anyway, if I were you, I’d start at about 37gr, and load 10 rounds increasing .4gr per charge and find the max for your rifle. After that, do your normal load development routine. I’d be very surprised if you didn’t come up with a load that bug holes. You don’t hear about it much but Varget works great out of the 6.5 Creedmoor with bullets up to 130gr.

John

View attachment 7107001
    What load did you settle on ? (Weight and approx velocity).
    I did a couple of tests and also ran up quite aways before pressure, but it's looking like I'm going to settle around 39.5 get and 2680 from a 16.5" bbl

One thing to add. I’ve been using Varget and the Berger 130 hybrids since last year. I started long and settled on 2.195 CBTO length back then. Recently ran a test seating them deeper and the groups shrunk from .5 moa to .25 moa. I now run them at 2.175 CBTO length.

What load did you settle on ? (Weight and approx velocity).
    I did a couple of tests and also ran up quite aways before pressure, but it's looking like I'm going to settle around 39.5 get and 2680 from a 16.5" bbl

1st the disclaimer. My load is significantly higher than max shown in the Berger manual. While it gives me no pressure signs and good case life, it might atomize someone else’s rifle so use it at your own risk.

Hornady brass
    Tula LRM primers
    40.1 gr Varget
    130gr Berger AR Hybrids
    2.130” BTO
    2868fps from 24” Bartlein 5R

John

Last edited:
    I’m also right at 39.5 varget with 130 hybrids in Lapua brass. 2900 FPS in a 26” barrel. It’s one of the most forgiving combos I’ve found for the creedmoor.

As others have said Varget works very well with 123’s. I have been trying to consolidate down to less powders and Varget is one of my staple powders. I will have to get some 130’s and give it a try. I use it for my Creedmoor with 123’s, my 308 with 155’s and 168’s and with my 223 for 75’s. It’s a very great all around powder and really temperature stable. I wish someone would give me 30 lbs of it. Nice stealth gloat BTW.