• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget is back

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Last two gunshows I attended had Varget! Bargain priced at $26 per pound today. I did the right thing and hoarded some up

Last edited:
gee, they're just giving it away. 19 dollar 4064 shoots just the same

powder valley inc. happens all the time.

Yeah, they are about the only place that has not screwed one single shooter over price since all this BS happened.

They will have my business for life because of it.

I think Midsouth shooters supply has been really great through this whole shortage too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Just scored an 8lb keg for $130... Thanks to a friend who is also a friend to a very prominent supply house owner....

Az got some Varget at $31.00 a lbs several on the shelf, right along with H 4350 - same price for single pound can.

Good news is it is changing from Unicorn sightings to now overpriced sighting. I can live with 26 a pound short term. Gas just jumped .30 cents a gallon..so its all relative.

Wish h4350 would appear. Want to throw together some loads for my 6.5 creedmoor. I'm stuck shooting factory loads for the moment.

I haven't seen any locally. I just got into reloading a couple months ago and chose to use IMR4064 in my 308 since I couldnt find Varget. Luckily my .308 rifle seems to like it.

I still have about 4lbs of Varget, but find my 308 likes IMR 4064 better. Seems to be easier to find now and cheaper. H4350 still very hit and miss here in AZ.

Apparently everyone's getting varget except Sinclair - been waiting for 16+months now.
Thankfully have been getting some other powders in place which seem fine.

I just cancelled a Sinclair / Brownell's order yesterday for 8#'s of AR Comp I had on backorder since last May. In that time, I was able to obtain my powders from other retail sources. Sinclair seems to be a poor place to backorder powder.

Found powder at the Birmingham Show. Vendor is Alabama Shooters Supply. Good People. They will most likely be at the Clanton Show next Weekend too.

I have plenty of varget, but I have switched to 4064 for the 308 and will never load varget in 308 again, 223 and 260 rem light bullets are the only rounds I will use it for until I ruin out then its back to 4064/4895 for those rounds too.

4064 shoots just as good, its the original Varget anyway. Plus its available in ample quantity and has been through this round of craziness. Well, actually, hmmmmmm, yeah forget I posted this, 4064 sucks.

Why are you not using the Varget in your 308 loads any more?

I can't answer for him, but I have two 1-12" 308 Win. bolt guns that just don't like Varget. I've tried it with 155's, 168's and 175's and just didn't have the best results. In my 40XBKS, I found a load with 168 A MAX's that started to shoot well on the Sac. Valley 600 yard line, but the loads started acting erratic and luckily, I had a proven load with me that finished out the day with me with no issues. I just don't know why.

I did find a Varget load with 168 A MAX's that does shoot well in my GAP 10 and doesn't seem to to want to go goofy.

I did find a great Varget load for my Sig 516 and Colt CAR-A3 with 75 grain bullets that shoots lights out. I'll be saving my Varget for that and my GAP 10.

Actually my go to powders that have shot very well for my two bolt guns have been IMR 8208 XBR and Alliant AR Comp for all three bullet weights.

Last 8lb can I got from Cabelas was $200; I got that and a few 1lb cans left. Can't wait to get back from deployment and load some rounds for my new AX308MC. I was hopeing this powder scarceness would go away by the time I get back but low and behold I was wrong.