• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget lot diierences

Ol Rob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
Tifton, Ga.
While I have not noticed much temperature sensitivity from Varget, I have now encountered a pretty substantial Lot to Lot difference. My "go to" load has been 46.6gr under 155 lapua for 2880 avg fps. My new batch I am at 46.2 for a 2900 avg. am I alone on this or is this normal. I noticed my accuracy was off so I checked the speed.
YMMV-Rob

Re: Varget lot diierences

What is the temperature difference when you chrono your second load? Also, did you leave your ammo in hot environment long before you chrono it?

I don't see that much of change with my Varget.

I haven't used a powder yet that didn't have differences in lot to lot. A couple of things you might want to check is: are you shooting in the same temp that you were shooting in when you chronied the old lot (I know Varget is probably the most temp stable, thats why I use it but I've noticed that I get slower velocities in hot temps as opposed to low temps). Are your other components exactly the same as when you last chronied (brass, primers, new lot of bullets). Are you shooting in a different light? If you have narrowed down all these, load some up with the old lot of powder and some with the new lot of powder and go to the range and run them both across the chrony on the same day........................ But then again it might just be another lot to lot variation!

Varget has a reputation for lot-to-lot variation. That is why it is better to buy in bulk if you can. What I've done to get around this is when I get a new batch of powder in, I take all the varget I have and mix it with the new stuff and make my own "new lot". This seems to lessen the differences. It's still important to keep tabs on how it changes your MV though. If you mix batches, make sure you do it in a clean, dry container.

Varget however also has a reputation to be very temp stable, so I would figure this would be less of a factor.

I have a jug (8 lb) of Varget that started out a little fast--it also started out with a lot of static cling. Then after using the powder for 3-4 reloading sessions (400-ish rounds) it dropped its static cling and went back to the chargeweights of my previous jug.

I blame humidity, as this also corresponded with the change of the dry January weather wehn I bought it to the moist April weather when I noticed it back where I started.

Note: The jug is opened, poured into a thrower, and the cap replaced; and after the reloading session, the remainder from the thrower is put back in the jug, and the cap resealed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My "go to" load has been 46.6gr under 155 lapua for 2880 avg fps. My new batch I am at 46.2 for a 2900 avg. YMMV-Rob </div></div>

I have recently started reloading (rookie) and use 46.3 varget under 155 scenar, in new lapua, 210M and using the same lot but different c.o.a.l. and different weather oonditions - I have had speeds of 3042, 2981, 2969, 2947, 2945, 2887, 2877, 2855, 2839. These were all 5 shots minimum (I know 10 is recommended) and were tested on 6 different dates starting 1/2/09.

My intent-- reading other posts here was to try and settle in around 2950fps. Oddly enough my 3 range days that had this speed or close to it were 1/2/09 at 2947- 2.895oal, 2/25/09 at 2969- 2.895oal, and 4/2/09 at 2945- 2.910oal. Oddly my slowest speeds and the 2981 (2nd fastest I have had) were also at 2.910oal- estimated 5 thou in. The fastest was at 2.895oal an estimated 10 thou jump. Go figure ???????