• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Varget Lot Variance vs Rifle's Nodes

chrisward3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2012
If i've found an accurate load of 44.7gr Varget behind a Nosler CC 168gr for my 700 aac-sd at 2625fps.

I now have to switch lots of varget, and will continue with the 44.7gr.

My question is: if my MV goes up or down (and groups open up slightly)...should I adjust my powder weight until I hit 2625fps?

I realize that the node is tied to pressure, but the MV would be the result of those two variables. So by chasing a good fps, would 44.6gr, or 44.8gr of the new lot produce the same pressures, and therefore reach the same node (if the new load's MV was ~2625)?

let me know...or just let me know that im overthinking the issue.

Cheers!

You're over thinking. Reduce your charge by a couple percent and work up until you find the sweet spot. It will come back together for you...

I don't know for every situation, but when I recently switched lots of Retumbo (also an Extreme powder, and my first use of one from that line) my MVs went up and my groups got bigger. I hunted for the new accuracy load and it did work out that when I reduced the charge just enough to get back to the same MV as before, my groups shrunk back down to what they were before as well.

Muzzle velocity is a measurable surrogate for pressure.

I say yes, stick to the same MV to stay within the same node.

Give it a try and adjust as needed.

Good Luck,

I don't know for every situation, but when I recently switched lots of Retumbo (also an Extreme powder, and my first use of one from that line) my MVs went up and my groups got bigger. I hunted for the new accuracy load and it did work out that when I reduced the charge just enough to get back to the same MV as before, my groups shrunk back down to what they were before as well.

This is generally the case I believe, assuming you keep everything else the same.