• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget ok for .260??

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I want to do to some .260 load devlopement for a 139grn Scenar out of a 24" barrel. I have 24lbs of varget left and nobody has any H4350 locally. Would it be worth my while to try the varget or should i wait until my next order and get the 4350? I use varget in my .223 and .308 so it would be a plus if i could use it in .260 as well.

Thanks in advance.

Ty

Re: Varget ok for .260??

I'm thinking Varget is going to be a little fast and you're not going to get the velocity you'll want. H-4350 has proven nearly ideal for me with the 139s.

My buddy sent a response:

<span style="font-weight: bold">
varget will work, its a bit quick burning for the round. h4350 is much better
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy sent a response:

</span> </div></div>

We you able to hide his IP address?

I used 37.5 to 38.5grs of Varget in my 260s with the 140AXAXs and it shot very, very well. My velocities were around 2775 as I recall. As usual WORK UP TO THIS LOAD IN YOUR GUN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy sent a response:

</span> </div></div>

We you able to hide his IP address? </div></div>

Since he's in the bremerton police dept - yeah....and if I did have it, well...that place is a fortress
laugh.gif

I am putting 140 interlocks ontop of varget in my .260. They shoot very well for a lightweight hunting gun.

When I shot a 6.5-08, I was coming from a varmint-hunter background - fiddling with everything was part of the fun. I asked a couple people - including the Bremerton cop Scott referred to - what to use. Answers went like this:

"38gr Varget"

"What about..."

"38gr Varget"

"But..."

"38gr Varget"

"So-n-so on the Internet says..."

"38gr Varget"

Eventually, said cop suckered, ah, tricked, ah, <span style="font-style: italic">talked</span> me into loading some up and trying them 'just to get him some chrono numbers, as his was broken'
wink.gif

30rds, 300yds, 1/2 moa group Avg 2752fps, SD8 ES 33.

Only change I made after that was switching from 142SMK to 139 Scenars... picked up about 30-40fps (slightly shorter bearing surface) and sucked the groups in just a smidge tighter. Plus back then, they were easier to find throughout the year compared to 142 SMKs which sell out in the early part of the year when the competitive shooters all buy in bulk for the coming season.

YMMV,

Monte

I had a rem 700 a few years ago chambered in 260rem That rifle shot sierra 85gr hpbt very very well with varget. It dint do so well with the heavy bullets. Varget is just to fast for anything over 120gr. There are better choices so i wouldnt even try it! 4350 RE17 h414 those are better choices. This of course is just my person experience and opinion. Lee

Varget may work okay for you in the .260

H4350 will work without question and give higher velocity.

H4350 gives me good speeds and consistent 1/4 MOA groups in my .260

Haha...

Doh, what the heck? ...my bad, thought I was replying to a post from yesterday, not 10 years ago??
Not sure what happened... guess I just get excited about posts related to the .260

Reactions: evilsemaj