• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget - Older powder more powerful???

exd3686

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
Illinois
I have some Varget from 1999 and loaded some .308 with 175 SMK in Win. brass, CCI BR-2, and 42 grains of Varget as a starter load. It seemed a little hot. Is old or older lots of Varget more powerful than the new lots?

Re: Varget - Older powder more powerful???

Every lot could could be a littler hotter or a little cooler. Possible changes with different lots. I try to buy like 20-25 lbs of the same lot and you dont have to worry about working up loads all the time

Yes the general slowing trend of Varget is well documented. Best to test each lot number. Great powder but lot to lot variation is also common. Bill

There was one slow lot a couple of years ago which was well documented. Other than that my lot to lot(8 pounders) has been consistant. I use the same load now as I have for years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was one slow lot a couple of years ago which was well documented. Other than that my lot to lot(8 pounders) has been consistant. I use the same load now as I have for years. </div></div>

Same here.