• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Varget residue won't come off FTE... wow!

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
Not that the carbon really affects anything, but I am amazed at this. I went about 2000 rounds without cleaning the FTE. Was shooting mostly Varget. The front baffle has a thick layer of carbon on it that looks like lava rock. I have tried the following without success:

-Soaking in Kroil for 1 week in a jar.
-Putting the above in it in the US cleaner for several cycles.
-Replacing the Kroil with Butches Bore Shine and letting it soak overnight.
-Replacing the Butche's Bore shine with PatchOut and soaking it overnight.

Each time brushing the residue with a bronze brush after the soak and US cycles. Each time, I have only managed to get off a small amount of carbon. I know that I can scrape it off or sand blast it off, but now I'm curious if there is anything that will actually dissolve this.

Anyone ever encounter anything like this?

Re: Varget residue won't come off FTE... wow!

Try Brake cleaner or Engine Top End Cleaner. Both should remove build up carbon.

I scrap it off. I've tried cleaning it and soaking it, and it didn't work. Take a screw driver or any small metal edge and go to town on it. I have also noticed that I get better groups after cleaning it (it was very dirty!). The build up happens with any powder you use, not just Varget.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to. I realize I can scrap it off, but I see an opportunity here to test the effectiveness of a few solvents against carbon. I imagine this is probably very similar to a stubborn carbon ring. It would be beneficial to know what dissolves it effectively.

I can say that BBS, PO and Kroil have virtually no effect...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use some of this it works great on AR bolts as well soak for a bit and it falls off.

http://www.slip2000.com/choketube.html </div></div>

I refer you to my experience with Slip 2000:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1120883

Both BBS and PO did better in a pistol case.

Have you tried any of the carb cleaners?

No. After I saw that Kroil didn't work, I figured that stuff wasn't coming off without some elbow grease. But after about 5-10 minutes scrapping, it comes off and cleans up nice.

The SLP 2000 that comes in a glass jar.It is mainly for gas pistons and choke tubes.I've used it for several "special" apps.It is about the best i've found.

The other is some marine(boat) carbon guard/remover from a couple of sources.

Let me know if I need to be more specific,I'll dig up the info.

Thanks for watching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shpanther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SLP 2000 that comes in a glass jar.It is mainly for gas pistons and choke tubes.I've used it for several "special" apps.It is about the best i've found.

The other is some marine(boat) carbon guard/remover from a couple of sources.

Let me know if I need to be more specific,I'll dig up the info.

Thanks for watching. </div></div>

Thats been my experiance as well.

In the Corps, we trained with the M14 in Boot and the Garand in ITR, and were taught to use a knife blade to 'slice' the carbon off the face of the Garand oprod/gas piston.

Greg

I use the Slip 2000 Carbon Killer to clean my AR bolts instead of the choke cleaner stuff . It works like magic . Another thing abuddy of mine uses is Coke . Take a can of it and pour it over your AR bolt and let it soak over night . Pull it out , rinse it off and throw some oil on it the next day and your golden .

Do you have an ultrasonic?
A light simple green solution will remove the carbon from the insides of brass.(not very quick though.)

For other solvents, we put them in a jar with only water in the tank. Need to use glass, as it transmitts the vibrations better than plastic.

Have you tried Extreme yet?

I've had great success cutting through all sorts of carbon with MPro-7. Expensive stuff but it really works! I put this in my US as my solvent of choice and it cleans things well.

Coke (and other beverages) work as soaking solutions because they are mildly acidic. Mildly acidic and alkaline solutuons will do some good.

If I were to resort to such a strategy, my chosen product would be Dawn Soaker, which is a product somewhat akin to oven cleaner packaged in a manual pump bottle. Like oven cleaner, it uses Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) in solution. This stuff is caustic, so use care around eyes and skin.

And yes, it makes sense to me to use an oven cleaner-like product to soak out heavy carbon accumulations.

Greg

Well, I had another thought, so I gave that a try...

I boiled a pot of water on the stove and filled the sink with water as cold as I could get it from the tap. Then I transferred the break back and forth a few times, letting it soak for about a minute in each. The carbon and steel contract and expand differently. The carbon pretty much just fell off as soon as I touched it after that.

Problem solved without a lot of elbow grease, but I'm kind of dismayed that none of the solvents worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I had another thought, so I gave that a try...

I boiled a pot of water on the stove and filled the sink with water as cold as I could get it from the tap. Then I transferred the break back and forth a few times, letting it soak for about a minute in each. The carbon and steel contracts and expands differently than the carbon. It pretty much just fell off as soon as I touched it after that.

Problem solved without a lot of elbow grease, but I'm kind of dismayed that none of the solvents worked.</div></div>

Why don't I ever think of good stuff like this on my own??!!

I might get a bottle of that GM stuff and throw one of the big chunks that came off in and see what happens to it.

I've always had great results using the old formula GM TEC, part #1050002, but I haven't tried any of the new stuff yet. My stash of the old stuff is holding up pretty well but I'm sure that the day will come when I'll have to try GM's new version.

I've also used a very similar product marketed by Mercury outboard motor dealers. IIRC they call it "Quicksilver". It loosened carbon deposits quite well.

The hot to cold water treatment is very innovative. I wish that I would have thought of it myself
wink.gif

I will have to tell my buddy about that trick . .22 Suppressors are about the worst and he has been bead blasting his clean but maybe this will work as well .

I clean suppressors with Chem-Dip, which is available as a parts cleaner at auto parts stores.

It's highly toxic - use it only outdoors, and wear heavy rubber gloves.

Soak each end in the chemical for a few minutes, agitating it a couple of times. Then wash with water. It comes clean as a whistle.

the top engine cleaner will definatly take it off and quickly. a good throttle plate cleaner will do well also since they are nearly the same makeup. just be careful with it and use safety glasses and any hazardous chemical precautions. i was using the top engine clean at work once, and stabbed the suction hoses into the top of the bottle, and a small drop flew up into my nostril. the pain was instant and excruciating. i couldnt see and my head felt like it was going to explode for about 20 seconds. it was rediculous how much that small amout hurt.

Oven cleaner! Think about it.. High heat...carbon baked on. It's my go to after brake cleaner or engine cleaner fails.