• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget vs Alliant 2000mr range report

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
First impression.. wow. and damn. gonna need a recoil pad
Rem 5r .308 just under 500rnds thru it. Barrel must just be comming in or something as All loads increased velocity throughout the test.
All loads shot round robbin sometimes in reverse order.
temp 85-90* wind 15-18mph 90-160* near as I could tell as I was next to a tree line with wind from the tree line.
Only measured verticle dispersion because of wind.
my pet load has been 42.5 Varget with 168 amax or 175 SMK, great shooters but not enough for 1000yd f-class hence the test for more velocity with 178gn bullit.
All loads shot @ 200yd with 178 amax .020 off lands.
Winchester once fired brass.
BR2 primers
I wont detail the Varget stuff other than say with 178 amax today best vert group was .739" with 44gn Varget @ 2602fps which is just good enough for 1000.
ES @ 35 which sucks.

Now for the Alliant. FPS average of 4-5 rounds
46.5gn 2623fps es13 3rd best vert of .731"
47.0gn 2628fps es 20
47.5gn 2680fps es 21 Best group .369" verticle
48.0 gn 2721fps es10
48.5gn 2744fps es21 2nd best @ .725"
49.0 2779fps es. alot 1 shot @ 2811fps!

First shot with 46.5 flatend the primer a bit and I thought this is going to be a short test. But it did not get any worse. Most primers were fairly flat and occational very light ejecter marks but it never got any worse thru the test.
Overall I am impressed. more speed, tighter es and better groups than my varget loads.

Re: Varget vs Alliant 2000mr range report

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

Many thanks for this range report. I'm just about ready to use 2000MR as my go to powder exclusively.

Which range do you frequent with a 1,000yd range?

Regards,

Thanks WTF.

My buddies are already members, and i'm trying to get a first Saturday off so that i can become a member.

I went out there as a visitor, and the place seems pretty decent. Cant wait to join.

Thanks again for your range report.

Hey WTF -

Any update as to how the 2000-MR is working out for you?

My initial results with 185 Bergers indicated a good accuracy node between 47.2 and 47.8 grains of 2000-MR - no chrono results. I had a smoked primer and hard bolt lift at 48.6 grains under a 185 Berger, seated at the lands, in 90 degree heat - needless to say, over max. 47.2 - 47.8 seem to sweet spot and I'm experimenting more with 47.5 and seating depths now.

I noticed the same thing as you mentioned... the primers do seem to flatten out earlier with this powder - possibly a result of a different pressure build up I am guessing, but no other signs of pressure, no web expansion, primer marks, etc.

I have not had a chance to follow up on this testing yet. Dang work gettin in the way of progress again.
1000yd FTR coming up real quick so I will get back on this soon..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks WTF.

My buddies are already members, and i'm trying to get a first Saturday off so that i can become a member.

I went out there as a visitor, and the place seems pretty decent. Cant wait to join.

Thanks again for your range report. </div></div>
Did you shoot the 300yd comp sunday?

WTF, your results are pretty much duplicate mine. Since my load is with the 175SMK, my loads are 5 fps faster. Extreme spread is identical as well. I'm starting to focus narrow down my node. Everything I've shot from 47.5-48.5 at 200 yards (longest available near me) have less than 1/2MOA difference. My best accuracy was at 47.5 (.323MOA). At 48 it still was .363 MOA. My next try will be with 47.7 grains. All my loads are using the175SMK since I wasn't able to get the 178 Amax . My loads are also 2.820 OAL.

FYI Rifle is 5R milspec.
Hornady match brass
Winchester primers

What brass, primers,'& overall length are you using?

Paul

My results were very similar. At the same 48 grains, my velocity is about 100 fps less with a 20" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My results were very similar. At the same 48 grains, my velocity is about 100 fps less with a 20" barrel. </div></div>
MY 5r barrel is 24" so that sounds about right.