• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 EFR AO scope?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I recently bought a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 EFR to use on my Anschutz for sillouette matches. I had to send it in to Leupold to have a problem with the elevation adjustment. This scope has the Target dot reticle. It has a 1" tube.
I know that reticle isn't tactical, it doesn't have Mil-Dots, but is this scope useful out to a maximum of 400 yards?
I am thinking about which scope to put on the SPS I am getting tomorrow. If this scope would be a good choice I may just put a Simmons on the .22 and use this on the .308.

Jim

Re: Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 EFR AO scope?

I know I said plenty of folks use these in small bore silhouette on a recent thread os yours...
Guess what, you'll see a ton of them at any large highpower silhoutte match too! 200-500m.

Good to go for 400yds for sure.

That would save money I can use for a stock, bullets and powder.
I guess I should get at least a 10moa base, even if I rarely shoot past 200 yards. The 1" tube will limit the amount of elevation I will have.

Jim

I have a few silhouette rifles and they all wear 6.5-20s with dots. Two are boosted to 18-40s.

Good scopes.

I have an old Vari X III 6.5x20x40 target dot with after market turrets that has been boosted to 13x40x40 by precision reticle.

I have lots more expensive and newer scopes, but that scope is a wonder scope.

In the world of my scopes, it is a hummer. The adjustable objective on the bell seems to work much better than my newer Leupold 6.5x20x40 with side focus. The bell adjustment allows the scope to focus closer.

There is not much elevation potential in the 6.5-20 Leupolds, 50moa total, unless you go with a mk4. 50moa total windage and elevation means maybe you get a range of 23moa of movement in any direction from the mechanically or optically centered reticle position. If you count the total # clicks in vertical and horizontal and divide by two on each, you have theoretical mechanical center. From here, if scope is setup on a boresighter-collimator you will see that you may have greater movement to L or R and possibly greater latitude for down than up elevation. A perfectly centered scope will rarely have equal range of movement in all directions.

Depending on your .308's zero and the ammunition you intend to fire, you could be at the limit around 400yds or even 350. I had a competition model with fine duplex, target turrets and A/O and sold it for its lack of adjustment range. Even sent the scope to Leupold to try and get the reticle position optimized or to be sure there was nothing broken. It was just fine, just not up to my tasks.

With a canted scope base, you will be able to use almost all the elevation movement, and probably need it. Many of Leupold's scopes are designs that go back 30yrs, maybe 40. 3-9x, 6-18, 4-12 all have what is now considered minimal range of reticle movement, but for hunting and even target shooters of the era designed, they were great improvements and cutting edge.

You have a great scope for .22 competition, would be fine as a mid-range varminter or like you say, out to 400yds (if rifle zeroed at maybe 200yds).

Thanks Swamper. I appreciate the honest info.
I will use it on my .308 until I get something else- like a SS 16x. Then it will go back on my Anschutz. That's what I bought it for. The .308 came later and I was thinking I could save a little on optics- especially if I could use it on both.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is not much elevation potential in the 6.5-20 Leupolds, 50moa total, unless you go with a mk4. 50moa total windage and elevation means maybe you get a range of 23moa of movement in any direction from the mechanically or optically centered reticle position. If you count the total # clicks in vertical and horizontal and divide by two on each, you have theoretical mechanical center.

Depending on your .308's zero and the ammunition you intend to fire, you could be at the limit around 400yds or even 350.

</div></div>

1) Putting a scope on a rifle with only a yoke made of the bottom ring halves, rotating the scope and adjusting the scope until the cross hairs rotate on a point on the target, finds the true center for a scope.
2) As Seinfeld says, "you got a T-shirt with blood-stains all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem right now", likewise, if you run out of elevation at 400 yards with a 6.5x20 on a 308, scopes are not your biggest problem right now.