• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Variation in Stock/chassis grip locations

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
Arkansas
Looking at many different precision stocks/chassis, the grip surface is typically vertical, but there is a huge amount of variation in the distance between the trigger/trigger guard and the forward face of the grip.

If you look at shooting disciplines that don't concern themselves with tactical stuff but precision and ergonomics are really their only concern (benchrest, F-class, palma, CISM, olympic shooting, etc.), the stocks come in a wide variety of forms but the forward face of the vertical grip is always an inch or less behind the trigger guard -just like you find on a handgun. The grip is often carefully sculpted/molded to be contiguous with the trigger guard (anschutz stocks, CISM stocks, many F-class stocks, even the Sako TRG and various generations of Accuracy International chassis)

Manners, McMillan, etc. all have the verical grip, but the forward face of the grip is several inches behind the trigger guard like you'd find on a traditional hunting rifle. Why?? It seems that you'd have to unseat your hand from the grip and push forward with your other fingers to reach the trigger. Is there a purpose for this or is it designed for a particular style of trigger manipulation? Is it just a carryover from traditional sporter stocks?

Reactions: gnochi
I'm going to go ahead and bump this two year old thread, because I have the very same question. I have fairly average sized hands, and my trigger finger is nowhere near 90 degrees if my other fingers are on the grip of a Manners stock or Xylo chassis. It's slightly closer in the KRG Bravo but still too far to be ideal. On the other hand, I have an XLR BMG chassis that fits perfectly. Why is this? Are there any chassis or stocks that are significantly closer?

Edit: this measurement really ought to be part of the standard specs. Yes it will depend on the trigger a bit, but just to get an idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
Yay, my thread finally got a reply, lol!

After this thread got no hits, I started the following thread with pictures and got some responses:

Reactions: phlegethon
I'm going to go ahead and bump this two year old thread, because I have the very same question. I have fairly average sized hands, and my trigger finger is nowhere near 90 degrees if my other fingers are on the grip of a Manners stock or Xylo chassis. It's slightly closer in the KRG Bravo but still too far to be ideal. On the other hand, I have an XLR BMG chassis that fits perfectly. Why is this? Are there any chassis or stocks that are significantly closer?

Edit: this measurement really ought to be part of the standard specs. Yes it will depend on the trigger a bit, but just to get an idea.

I really like the XLR grip position and with a MDT straight grip it’s even better.
KRG bravo works fairly for me as does AI.

A lot of stocks are the best for me.

Yay, my thread finally got a reply, lol!

After this thread got no hits, I started the following thread with pictures and got some responses:

That was a really good thread. Also you have quite a collection. The Wilson 1911 has been on my bucket list for a while along with the AI AT.

This is why I bought a magpul 700 pro chassis. Not only can you move the grip quite a bit forward but it’s also comfortable as hell.

Reactions: Dirty D
That was a really good thread. Also you have quite a collection. The Wilson 1911 has been on my bucket list for a while along with the AI AT.

Oh, of those pics, the Wilson is the only one that I own. The rifle pics are from the interwebs. I WILL own a Sako TRG 42 one day, though.

MPA BA Comp chassis w/ vertical grip is the closest to the trigger as any I have checked. I have a Foundation Centurion coming to try. They moved the grip closer to trigger and changed the grip angle from their other foundation stocks. Their revelation hunting stock has same grip as the centurion.

It's why i molded a grip for my manners tcs. Without it my hand/ finger placement was absolutely atrocious
20201128_213228.jpg
20201126_140559.jpg

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I talked to someone at ARC and they are looking into making larger grips available for the Xylo, which would officially make it the perfect chassis.

Yeah, but if you’re going to have something that ugly on your rifle you may as well go with an MDT or XLR chassis. 😂
Yep she's ugly but seeing as it's a tool not a safe queen im fine with that. Only time a person sees it is if the gun isn't being shot

I think the larger grips for the Xylo are available now.
No, they are all the same distance from the front strap to the trigger guard. That's the measurement I want decreased.

Got it. My bad.
I had the same confusion when I saw the site initially. And the grips for the MPA chassis are indeed different sizes fore-aft, so it’s definitely something that makes sense.

No, they are all the same distance from the front strap to the trigger guard. That's the measurement I want decreased.

Have you tried the Xylo at all? I've been stuck between that and another Whiskey 3 for my second Nucleus. The Whiskey 3 has been good so far on my first one, but I keep hearing about how comfy the Xylo is but the trigger to grip distance concerns me without being able to handle one first. Damn these stubby finger problems. For reference, I wear medium gloves to fit my fingers, though my palms fit find in large gloves.

Yep, I have one in short and one in long action. It’s a little closer than the Manners PRS stocks, very similar to the KRG Bravo, but still probably half an inch farther than the XLR.

I don’t know if it’s a hand size thing as much as just the way a lot of the stocks are designed. I have average size hands and my hand is hovering in space if my trigger finger is at 90° in a Manners stock.

edit: Xylo measurement. This will look worse because the flat shoe Triggertech is farther forward than the curved (unlike B&A).
194B8815-9626-4121-8BB5-D5A673166451.jpeg

Have you tried the Xylo at all? I've been stuck between that and another Whiskey 3 for my second Nucleus. The Whiskey 3 has been good so far on my first one, but I keep hearing about how comfy the Xylo is but the trigger to grip distance concerns me without being able to handle one first. Damn these stubby finger problems. For reference, I wear medium gloves to fit my fingers, though my palms fit find in large gloves.

Reactions: Northernjets
edit: Xylo measurement. This will look worse because the flat shoe Triggertech is farther forward than the curved (unlike B&A).

I appreciate you taking the time to upload that! Just took a measurement of my Whiskey 3. Looks like the Xylo places the trigger roughly in the same spot as the W3, if I presume that my curved TT trigger pushes your measurement another quarter inch closer.