• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Variations in LC 308 brass - ramifications

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
I am new to long distance shooting. I have been an avid handgun and shotgun reloader for some time and never really worried about variations in the brass affecting accuracy in my USPSA and IDPA pistol loads. I purchased 1,000 rounds of once fired 308 brass from Scharch and I will be working up some loads for my Savage 12 F/TR to shoot out to 1,000 yards. I selected the Sierra 155 Palma bullet. Just to find out if there was a difference I started weighing my cases. They range from a low of about 173 grains to 176+ with the majority falling around 174 - 175.8 grains. Will this spread in weight (translated into varying case capacity) significantly affect my groups at long distances?

Thanks.

Re: Variations in LC 308 brass - ramifications

The <span style="font-style: italic">wind</span> will significantly affect your groups at long distances more than any slight variance in case capacity.

Don

Calculate the percentage variation in your lot of brass and tell me what you think.

Way back when I first started shooting .308, I bought a 500-piece lot of LC mixed headstamp brass and found much greater variation than you report. Sorry, forgot the spread. I sampled 20 or 30, calculated the standard deviation, and sorted them into three lots of light, nominal, and heavy, with the line at +1 sd and -1 sd from the mean.

I couldn't tell a difference when the lots got mixed up after two reloads. 600 prone was the only place I could hold hard enough to appreciate the accuracy, and 1 MOA up in impact after 7-10 rounds, and chasing the wind, affected my scores more than the brass did.

The types of variations you're describing are actually rather small.

The latest batch of .223 ammo I made up from Frontier (Hornady) brass showed case weight variations between 92gr and 99gr. I know all my other component weights were within fractions of a grain in uniformity, so I simply weighed completed rounds and divided them into a high and low group, so at least the variations between shots within each of the two match stage would be smaller.

My advice is to follow such a regimen, controlling the other individual component inputs for uniformity, then weighing out completed rounds and segregating the different ends of the weight spectrum into more similar groups. Truly extreme variations could be held aside for fouler/sighter shots.

My load for Palma 155's and commercial brass has usually worked out to around 46.0gr of Varget for my Sav 112BVSS. I think you could start as high as 45.0 and work up, to save time.

Sierra published <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">max</span></span> for their 155Palma and <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rem brass</span></span> (please note that LC brass has a smaller capacity and max charges should be adjusted downward accordingly), IMR4064 is 48.2, IMR4895/44.0 (max velocity is a lot slower), W748/49.9, BL-C(2)/48.7, and that should get you started.

Please also note that your barrel's twist rate is 1:12", and that this rate should accommodate up to 175SMK's well enough as long as you don't let the velocities loaf too much. Such bullets should outperform the Palma 155's in your gun when appropriately loaded, and I would alter my maxes downward by about 2 gr from the 155 loads, start a few grains lower, work up, and pay close attention to the fired brass for pressure indicators as the loads increase.

Like you, I started with handguns and that's where I learned my handloading initially. Again, like you, my initial rifle reloading was done with .308. It's a different animal from loading cases with straight sides, but it's not really all that different. Pay attention to getting primer seating done right, and bullet seating, too. Lube is a lot more crucial, as you'll find out unforgettably when you get your first case stuck in the resizer die (NEVER forget the lube!). When it happens, don't panic, relax, do nothing, and ask us here about how to remedy the situation without fraying your nerves or damaging your equipment. We're happy to help, and that's what many of us are primarily here for.

I think you made a good choice with your rifle, and have shown good wisdom by bringing your questions here. If you can find a dependable in-person LR guru, so much the better. Remember that nobody has all the answers, and that alternative approaches will always be present. When in doubt, ask.

Greg

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Some sound advice. Much appreciated.