• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Variety is the spice of life or one rifle to rule them all?

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
With regard to long range precision rifles, do you favor building/buying/shooting multiple rifles in different calibers or do you favor focusing solely on a single caliber for a longer period of time?

For those that prefer shooting multiple calibers, do you prefer to standardize on a scope/reticle style or different brands/scopes/reticles for each rifle?

I think having one that you train with regularly is great for getting good with that one system. However, being adaptable to many different rifles I believe makes you a better all around rifleman.

Overall, it doesn’t matter a ton. Fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you’re at the very top and every single point matters, always running the same stuff may be difference in a point or two.

IMO, rifle balance is the most important to keep similar as that dictates your entire position building.

There's a saying, I don't remember exactly how it goes but there's a saying. Some thing about don't be afraid of the man with many weapons, be afraid of the one with only one. I think if you've only had one rifle to shoot, practice, hunt, compete, etc, you will be pretty good with it. That said, I like having many different rifles haha...

just what DT said, if your top of the food chain everything matters

personally i need to feel differences in recoil

im a chassis guy so i guess you can call that standardization

but i can only shoot 6.5, 6, 7.62 etc for so long and then i need a magnum/feel once in a while

imagine only shooting 22lr every day for the rest of your life...youd loose your shit lol

i also find that after shooting heavy rifle small stuff for a while i start cheating fundamentals

big recoil stuff brings me back to earth realllll quick when im not hitting shit and the gun is bouncing around

I tried the "one handgun to rule them all"

I ended up owning them all.

Get what you want, shoot what you want.

Its always good to have a main rifle but "Long Range Shooting" is actually a HUGE topic.

1 Gun for PRS? (400-1000)
1 Gun for "Extended" LR? (1500-2000)
1 Gun for "Extreme" LR? (King of 2 Mile+)
What about 3-gun? (<400)
Don't forget your gasser!
How about a trainer?

I could go into right tool for job, but sometimes its fun to do something different.

So yeah--I rifle is good.

Also boring.

Plus stuff changes--15 years ago 308, 308, 308.
Now its 6 or 6.5
300 PRC, 300 Norma Mag

Wait till Sig Fury drops.

Enjoy the ride man.

I’m real attracted to the one-rifle-to-rule-them-all idea, but...I keep building rifles, so... there you go.

There's a saying, I don't remember exactly how it goes but there's a saying. Some thing about don't be afraid of the man with many weapons, be afraid of the one with only one. I think if you've only had one rifle to shoot, practice, hunt, compete, etc, you will be pretty good with it. That said, I like having many different rifles haha...

I believe the saying you are thinking of is "Beware the man with only one gun - for he knows how to use it"

Reactions: stello1001 and DMP
It sounds like I'm not the only one who thinks variety is the spice of life.

I shoot 223 Rem, 6.5 Grendel (semi), 260 Rem, 284 Win, and 300 PRC.

Thinking about building a 6mm rifle. I have a Savage target precision action that needs a new purpose in life (it was previously used for a failed 284 Win SA experiment).

I also recently decided to 'move up' from my standard SWFA 12X fixed scopes to the Athlon Midas TAC scopes. 6-24x50 on my 223 Rem and 6.5 Grendel, 5-25x56 on the 260 Rem, 284 Win, and 300 PRC.

That's still less than one ZCO scope. I guess I'm still an optics cheap skate. :)

Reactions: Campguy308
I think it can also depend on where you are in the "learning curve". If you can't shoot 1moa at 100 or whatever the standard for being more then a learning novice then maybe one tool is best.

I don't necessarily have a lot of rifles, I go for more of a feel or characteristic. AI AX in 6.5 for long stuff, A 16 inch 6.5 tikka for hunting, and an AW 24" 308 for the classic feel. And a iron sighted 22 for funsies.

I think I could see the splash while i cook lunch on the table besides me .

you just have to pray it doesn't misfire or god forbid not leave the barrel it would be over fast if something went wrong .

Last edited:
The problem with lots of guns is lots of optics, lots of ancillaries and lots of space taken up in the safe.

The problem with a multi caliber rifle is you can’t hand out your extra guns to da boyz and saddle up a posse.

Don’t even suggest a single, single caliber rifle.

Me, I like lots of guns, but I also like sharing my stuff around.

Being married to one rifle is like being married to one woman, yes its constant and never fails you but there are sexier rifles out there just like sexier women.........

I try to keep at least 3 for PRS and we always keep the 223 which is a clone of my sons PRS rifle in the the trunk. He had to go use it once this year at end of a match (last two stages )
throwing 80 grains at 2900 it doesn’t make much difference inside 600.

Variety. Get good with multiple calibers is my opinion. I like having a 22 to practice with. I also like having a mid caliber to my 6.5 creed also (.224 Valk is what I use).

I get the one gun and being really good with it argument, but then I look at all the cool options available and my willpower goes to shit and I start dreaming up "needs" to justify another gun. Having a safe full of options for different applications (real and imagined) makes me happy.

Reactions: Onewolf42
My wife says I have too many. I want more. Ammo is the biggest problem .

Pity. My wife says "Hey, just get it, you already got the dies for it". She also want to know when I'll have her match .308 ready. Also, funny story- our club has two rifle ranges- south range is 100/200, while the east range is 200/300/385/500. I do my ammo testing on the 100/200. One day, as we're packing up, she says "Next time, can we shoot the 500? I'm tired of the 100/200- it's too easy"

Reactions: VargmatII
I think it depends on your overall use. Do you want one gun to coyote hunt, elk hunt, shoot 2-day PRS matches with, and shoot ELR? Umm, maybe an AXMC, but you're going to be making sacrifices with each discipline.

Due to finances and a lack of wanting a bunch of guns and calibers to keep up with, I have shot an AI short action for the past 5 years. First an AT, then an AX. I literally had one rifle, with one optic, and shot one caliber (6.5x47L) for 4 years before I tried a 6mm last season. I'm not bragging, as I'm not a top-10 PRS shooter or anything, but for myself I can say without a doubt it made me a better and more confident shooter than if I had switched platforms every year like I see the majority of club shooters around me do. I also learned 6.5x47L like the back of my hand, and could focus on shooting rather than doing endless load workup or chasing the newest cartridge or bullet.

1. A nice 22LR.
2 one or two sixmm for PRS.
3. a 6.5 is a must
4. Same story for a 308. Maybe a large frame AR in 308 if you want to save one slot in the safe.
5. A 223 trainer or something.
6. A crossover 7 SAUM or 300 NM if you want stretch the legs sometimes.

and then there is ELR. Is the same thing like having or not having a tuxedo in your wardrobe. Totally up to you.

I have multiple because I do not like waiting for my barrel to cool at the range. If I am taking the time to make the trip, why would I want to send most of my time waiting for the barrel to cool to shoot a few more? Agree with others who say set them up similar.

I have multiple because I do not like waiting for my barrel to cool at the range. If I am taking the time to make the trip, why would I want to send most of my time waiting for the barrel to cool to shoot a few more? Agree with others who say set them up similar.

interesting i never do that , the only time my barrel cools for the most part is reloading or gathering dope haha

interesting i never do that , the only time my barrel cools for the most part is reloading or gathering dope haha
If I do that I would burn my barrels up, but the cartridge in question makes a difference. I am normally shooting magnums (7 WSM, 6.5 PRC) so the barrels get warm after just a couple shots. If i shot a 223 in a heavy barrel I could do a lot better.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
I'm at the point where I got multiple rifles for different roles. I'm not sure its benefit me in the long run. To many things to reload for, trying to find components, scooes for each rifle because switching scopes all the time sucks. Buying all the reloading dies and Mandel and the list goes on. I truly think one match rifle, one trainer and a hunting would serve me better in the long run. Just my opinion even though its boring

I have a practice I subscribe to now. Keeps me from buying crap I don't need. Buy only one rifle for the most important discrete task you have. Learn it, and it can likely serve you well for everything else. Make it the absolute best you can afford, especially glass. Most people are rifle rich and glass poor. Sell the rest of the collection. If you have money left, start building another rifle for the second most important discrete task.

I have two center fire bolt action rifles and an AR 15. My hunting rifle and my match rifle, plus the 5.55. I sold everything else and bought good glass. Now, I love to go shoot and I quit messing around with crap at the range.

I decided to start a third, but it is for a third discrete purpose, an ultralight backpack gun...

Now, I do sometimes pick up a rifle and glass to play with and resell from time to time though. That satisfies my need to be buying new stuff.

I have a practice I subscribe to now. Keeps me from buying crap I don't need. Buy only one rifle for the most important discrete task you have. Learn it, and it can likely serve you well for everything else. Make it the absolute best you can afford, especially glass. Most people are rifle rich and glass poor. Sell the rest of the collection. If you have money left, start building another rifle for the second most important discrete task.

I have two center fire bolt action rifles and an AR 15. My hunting rifle and my match rifle, plus the 5.55. I sold everything else and bought good glass. Now, I love to go shoot and I quit messing around with crap at the range.

I decided to start a third, but it is for a third discrete purpose, an ultralight backpack gun...

Now, I do sometimes pick up a rifle and glass to play with and resell from time to time though. That satisfies my need to be buying new stuff.
This is solid advice. I am guilty of going towards quantity due to a always low budget. If I woulda focused on quality early on I might actually have more quality guns and less piles o’ parts

Have a hard time subscribing to a single rifle to ‘do it all’, but with the supply chain being what it is these days, am consolidating around a pair of calibers-.224 and .264. Focus on acquisition of inventory of brass and components. .224 covers from .223/5.56 to 22-250, 6.5 from Grendel to PRC. Not much I can’t do within that range. Trying to keep it simple.

We should acknowledge the hedonic value of the act of buying the gun itself. Buying guns is fun, it is exciting, it is filled with hope and anticipation. That value should be considered in this debate.

Of course, there is a flip side to this as others have discussed. If you are always buying a new gun are you taking the time to get the most enjoyment from you old one? Are you missing out on a really deep experience of mastery by constantly chasing?

What makes for maximum happiness will vary for each person. I am too far to the buy them all side, as I am a mediocre shot at best with a lot of cool kit, but I don’t think one gun to rule them all would work for me either. YMMV.

Reactions: deersniper
I have a bunch of rifles.

I have a "Go to" rifle.

My "Go to" gets shot less than the rifles I rotate through.

I only use "Go to" when I want to excel or impress. Classes and bragging.

Otherwise "Go to" sits because if I take it to the range for no special reason I know its going to produce boring less than 1 MOA groups while bringing "Go to" closer to that day it is "Go to Gone" and I use up all the magic it contains.

Anyone else experience this?

My "Go to"....

1608386820799.png

Last edited:
Guns are like falling in love, I have allot of rifles, but every time I go hunting I normally grab one of the same 2 depending on what I’m doing, and they are two of my oldest and least expensive rifles, even though there’s a supposedly better rifle sitting right next to it. I’ve found I’m allot more accurate with a gun I’m comfortable with verses a mechanically superior gun I’m not.

A rifle for every job, rifles can do multiple jobs but each job doesn't need multiple rifles.

Light 308 bolt for Bambi
Ar15(6.8) for little miss piggy
Short, iron sight ar15 for the truck
Heavy ar15(223) for long range/matches
22lr bolt for practice/matches
223 bolt for practice/backup
308 bolt for matches
Magnum hunting rifle for long range hunting, still needs aquired

I guess everything else is just a "buddy gun" or needs to go to the chopping block so I can upgrade the survivors. My safe is too small anyway.

It doesn't make sense to spend the money burning ammo and wearing out a barrel on a 28 nosler shooting thousands of rounds per year practicing but it also doesn't make sense to take a 223 hunting out west. At the same time it probably doesn't make much sense to have half a dozen 223's but here we are.....

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC
I too have two rifles and a 12” AR.
9 twist 223 and my match rifle in 243. Matches have left me behind and I need a faster twist 223, just in case.

csb/tl;dr time!

i have been this way forever, although only recently bought a gas gun to fill the long range requirement i don't really have.
i have been shooting handguns and shotguns for decades but don't live near someplace to shoot long range.
the reason i bought a gas gun at all was mostly as a fuck off to looming gun control.
since i was buying a gas gun, i decided to add long range capability at the same time.
figures that would end up being the most expensive choice.

i do own 3 handguns, because i still have my first p226 bought in 1992, which has no rail and is now retired.
otherwise i only own (currently):

1 primary sidearm - sig sauer p226 legion 9mm (both rx and xray3 slides)
1 back up sidearm - sig sauer p229 enhanced elite 9mm (customized with both rx and xray3 slides)
1 shotgun - mossberg 500 variant 12ga.
1 trail or bugout rifle - ruger 10/22 takedown lite. .22lr
1 hunting rifle - winchester model 88 lever gun .308 (inherited from my dad).
1 long range rifle: fn scar 20s 7.62x51mm (.308).

ihmo, the ruger or mossberg cannot be significantly improved upon by spending more when it comes to reliability and flexibility.

the problem with the long range rifle is that there many things you need besides practice to maximize your capabilities and consistency.
for handguns or shotguns, you need a gun, ammo, targets, and training time. that is pretty much it.

once you buy a long range precision rifle, you still need...

primary optic - Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x44 H59
optic mount - Bobro Engineering Scar dual lever mount
bipod - Harris/Larue SBRM and Accu-Tac SR-5 G2 w/spiked feet.
rifle sling - Blue Force Gear VCAS
shooting bag - Precision Underground 3D ELR and Armageddon Pint-Sized Gear Game Changer (Sticky)
tripod and mount - Really Right Stuff TVC-34 mk2, Versa adapter, Anvil-30 head
weapon light - Surefire x400u
rangefinder/ballistic calculator- Sig Sauer Kilo2400ABS
nv scope - Sightmark Wraith HD
nv pointer/illuminator/laser - Steiner DBAL-D2
hard case - SKB iSeries custom case
soft case - Fieldline range bag, VISM drag bag/shooting mat for field, and a First Spear R37 rifle wrap for compact carry)
spotting scope - Leupold MK4 12-40x60 (field) and Svbony SV46 20-60x80 (range - video).
something to haul all this shit around - RIDGID toolbox system

as you can see, none of my choices can be considered compromises except the wraith.
i don't hunt or know of any shooting ranges that allow night shooting, but i wanted some basic capability if i could ever afford it.
maybe i will have to hunt at night after the country breaks down under oppressive globalist rule. :unsure:
or maybe i am just using that as an excuse to buy tacticool shit i'll never need. much more likely :p
where possible, everything is also made here in the USA.
the <$250 svbony scope is actually awesome for the price. i bought it before the whole chinama issue.

of course some of these things like a rangefinder or tripod might be considered "optional", but not if you want the best chance at a one shot hit under any conditions, without requiring known distance and a clear line of sight from a prone position (or something to shoot off).

i practice calculating range and drop manually with a mildot master and then confirm with the rangefinder.
i am pretty confident i can get close if how big the target is, but is something is only 1 moa in my scope and i don't know exactly how big?
for example i would have a hard time telling a 24" circle from a 30" circle and at 600+ i wouldn't bet on a hit on the first shot.

Given limited time I think we would all be better off focusing on one rifle.

But with gun control and add some of us end up with a bunch.

After I bought desert techs and an AI I shoot my other guns a lot less.

If it comes to one rifle......

AR-15

Lets hope we never have to limit ourselves.

Only have one LR setup (other rifles for other roles). The LR setup has a quick barrel change capability so I switch between 6.5 CM > 6 CM. It is handy in that sense to be shooting on same rifle/optic/chassis setup, but I wouldn't mind having more rifles.