• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varmint Build .22 Creedmoor vs 6MM Creedmoor

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Looking to put together a rifle for a Wyoming prairie dog hunt this summer, the rifle will also double as a coyote rifle. I have my eye on the new Hornady VT bullets for either chambering I decide to go with. I grew up shooting .22-250's at P-dogs so i have a decent feel for how the .22 creedmoor will act, and I have had a few 6mm CM's in the past but never shot lighter bullets in them. For those of you who shoot both the 22 and the 6mm CM does one shine over the other for for my needs? I have a couple of .223AI's so im not worried about the volume of shooting on the P-dog hunt. Mostly just wanting a new toy.

22 creed all the way. I have both, and the 22 creedmoor was by far the favorite using varmint weight bullets. Bullets. Also remember unless you get custom reamer, the throat is going to be way too long for 6 mm varmint bullets to be accurate. I have a custom reamer with a shorter throat so I can run the 58s and 65s. The 22 creedmoor off the shelf is ready to go, just be sure to keep the carbon ring away

Reactions: Hondo1
    Fyi, I got about 180 rounds of 60 vmaxes at 3900fps in mine before the bullet vaporized outside of the barrel. 400yd shots were almost point and shoot with real nice explosions.

Reactions: RTH1800
    22 creed all the way. I have both, and the 22 creedmoor was by far the favorite using varmint weight bullets. Bullets. Also remember unless you get custom reamer, the throat is going to be way too long for 6 mm varmint bullets to be accurate. I have a custom reamer with a shorter throat so I can run the 58s and 65s. The 22 creedmoor off the shelf is ready to go, just be sure to keep the carbon ring away
    My 6mm creed shoots the 65 v max just fine. I also shot lots of bullets that shot great in factory remington rifles with bullets jumping like 1/8" to a 1/4".

Reactions: wind gypsy
    The 65 vamx is nasty as well. I shoot a lot more 105s at pdogs though. I usually mostly shoot 223 until everything for 500 or 600y are down their holes or closer if its windy. I don't call coyotes much anymore. For me it was always a 22-250 bolt action in open country or when really cold, or an ar15 223 in cover. Or when I decided I wanted to use it instead. I always shot 50-55g bullets for coyotes.

Speaking of flopping dogs. WOA had a sale on their 20 practical and 204 barrels. I am not sure if it's over yet.

Reactions: st1650 and Hondo1
    The 65 vamx is nasty as well. I shoot a lot more 105s at pdogs though. I usually mostly shoot 223 until everything for 500 or 600y are down their holes or closer if its windy. I don't call coyotes much anymore. For me it was always a 22-250 bolt action in open country or when really cold, or an ar15 223 in cover. Or when I decided I wanted to use it instead. I always shot 50-55g bullets for coyotes.

Speaking of flopping dogs. WOA had a sale on their 20 practical and 204 barrels. I am not sure if it's over yet.
    My anTI with a 18in Ruger 204 barrel has killed a ton of coyotes. It’s my go to for anything inside of 250 yards. Sits on a HNT26 with a S&B 3-12 ultra klassik. Very lightweight and compact setup

1. 6mm Creedmoor
    2. 22-250 fast twist for 69-75 grain pills
    3. 22 Creedmoor with 75 - 85 grain pills

I now have 22 GT, I absolutely love the cartridge. Unless I feel the need for a long barrel rifle. I will stay GT.

I picked up a 20" 1:8 Proof CF blank that I plan to have chambered in 22GT for use with 69-77gr projectiles. This barrel will be used for varmint hunting only once the load development is done. What FB should I go with; the standard 0.169" or the 0.120"?

I picked up a 20" 1:8 Proof CF blank that I plan to have chambered in 22GT for use with 69-77gr projectiles. This barrel will be used for varmint hunting only once the load development is done. What FB should I go with; the standard 0.169" or the 0.120"?
    I got my reamer from GA precision, at the time it was the only reamer available and that's what I am using with 60 grain vmaxes.

I debated this exact thing and went for the 6 Creed. I don’t have actual data but the reading I did was that the 6 creed was just a little bit faster with equal weight bullets. Likewise, the 22 Creed had a higher BC bullet when using equal weight bullets. Thus, they negated any real world benefit. So for my use, I figured the 6 creed was a no brainer since I could hunt deer and antelope with it as well.

The info above was only what I read into in other posts and forums so I can’t say it’s 1000% true. My mind told me a slightly larger diameter bullet would have a touch more knockdown on coyotes than a comparable bullet weight of a smaller diameter. I don’t know that it’s true, but that’s the direction my mind went. When my 6 creed barrel is toast, I may switch it to a 22 Creed to see what it’s all about.

I did a 22 CM for a guy who does pest control professionally; mainly gophers and prairie dogs. He uses 85.5 Bergers; says he loves it for what he does.

I debated this exact thing and went for the 6 Creed. I don’t have actual data but the reading I did was that the 6 creed was just a little bit faster with equal weight bullets. Likewise, the 22 Creed had a higher BC bullet when using equal weight bullets. Thus, they negated any real world benefit. So for my use, I figured the 6 creed was a no brainer since I could hunt deer and antelope with it as well.

The info above was only what I read into in other posts and forums so I can’t say it’s 1000% true. My mind told me a slightly larger diameter bullet would have a touch more knockdown on coyotes than a comparable bullet weight of a smaller diameter. I don’t know that it’s true, but that’s the direction my mind went. When my 6 creed barrel is toast, I may switch it to a 22 Creed to see what it’s all about.
    This is the direction I’m moving towards for the exact same reasons. I’ve been watching the Px hoping a barrel will pop up for a killer deal, if nothing does I will order a Proof prefit next week.

Care to explain why you feel this way? Just curious
    Just a little more case capacity and twist rates that are more in line with smaller varmint bullets. Also a much better selection of factory varmint loads. Not a huge difference but I feel everyone gets caught up on shooting heavy bullets. For varmints I like the lighter bullets for flatter shooting.

Just a little more case capacity and twist rates that are more in line with smaller varmint bullets. Also a much better selection of factory varmint loads. Not a huge difference but I feel everyone gets caught up on shooting heavy bullets. For varmints I like the lighter bullets for flatter shooting.
    I see so you’re looking at it as far as factory rifle options.

I see so you’re looking at it as far as factory rifle options.
    Well that’s true in one aspect yes. Also if you reload it’s not as big of a deal either. I just don’t get enough time to reload as it is so I like to buy factory ammo for coyote hunting.

Kinda depends on variables I guess lol

Well that’s true in one aspect yes. Also if you reload it’s not as big of a deal either. I just don’t get enough time to reload as it is so I like to buy factory ammo for coyote hunting.

Kinda depends on variables I guess lol
    Yeah cause reloading opens up a lot of options for both calibers. Like my 6creed setup that I’m currently building is short barreled (18”) using 70g Noslers. Should be somewhere around 3300-3400ish out of that 18”.

Reactions: JohnDeereGuy1996

You don't think the 22GT or 22Creedmoor won't harvest a deer or antelope?

You don't think the 22GT or 22Creedmoor won't harvest a deer or antelope?
    They sure would. In fact, I used a 223 with 77TMK’s this year for my whitetail and it worked great. But I know a 6 creed would work a bit better

Attachments

• IMG_9161.jpeg
      IMG_9161.jpeg
      808.8 KB · Views: 85
    Oh, I'm a very happy 22GT owner. It's pretty much my go to gun!
    62 grain TSX
    69 grain TMK
    73 grain ELDM
    StaBall 6.5
    Alpha OCD brass

Reactions: bar_n
    Is that the new night stalker stock, I’ve been eyeing one.
    No sir it is the TCS PRS. The night stalker is not available yet. I’ve recently sold the TCS and switched to a KRG Whiskey 3 folder.

Oh, I'm a very happy 22GT owner. It's pretty much my go to gun!
    62 grain TSX
    69 grain TMK
    73 grain ELDM
    StaBall 6.5
    Alpha OCD brass
    Mines a 16” 22creed. Nothing wrong with GT though. These two does were shot with a 68g Hammer HHT @3450.

Reactions: MOshooter
    Mines a 16” 22creed. Nothing wrong with GT though. These two does were shot with a 68g Hammer HHT @3450.
    I'm running a 21" Bartlein CF 8 twist.

I've heard very good things about the Hammer bullets, but never felt the need to spend money on boutique bullets.
    I keep the Barnes around for some 223 deer loads for a few youngsters and just tried a few.

Why not just stick with 22-250? Bustin' song dogs at 3950fps with a 50gr VMax is literally to die for. Prairie dogs just vaporize. No mad maxing chamber throats or any of that.

No sir it is the TCS PRS. The night stalker is not available yet. I’ve recently sold the TCS and switched to a KRG Whiskey 3
    Yeah I’ve seen them on the manners page to order but didn’t know if anyone had received them yet, the butt of the stock in your pic just looked a little short to be the tcs prs, good looking rig anyways. I’ve got a 18” 22 creedmoor in a t4a just looking to change it up a bit.

A 22 creed will turn a coyote inside out. Very effective on animals up to and including pigs and deer. less recoil than 6mm. I have both and prefer the 22 creedmoor

Reactions: Coyote777
    Yeah I’ve seen them on the manners page to order but didn’t know if anyone had received them yet, the butt of the stock in your pic just looked a little short to be the tcs prs, good looking rig anyways. I’ve got a 18” 22 creedmoor in a t4a just looking to change it up a bit.
    Thanks. TCS is an amazing chassis but not the best to hunt out of. Think I’m going to like adjustability of the KRG and it lost a little weight.

Attachments

• IMG_9559.jpeg
      IMG_9559.jpeg
      632 KB · Views: 60
    Thanks. TCS is an amazing chassis but not the best to hunt out of. Think I’m going to like adjustability of the KRG and it lost a little weight.
    nice, yeah I did a 6.5 prc on a manners lrh for my hunting setup, my match rifle is a prs1 I really the manners stocks. The chassis guns do offer more adjustment for sure though just haven’t brought myself to make the switch lol