• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

varmint length barrels .556

mijopa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
California
I am looking at a 16" heavy barrel varmint for coyote, walking stalking rifle, along with using it for sod poodles.
my reasoning behind the 16" is that it will still be light enough to hike around with as compared with a 20", but will it give me the velocity to reach out and splat smaller critters out to 400+ yards?

Re: varmint length barrels .556

FWIW - I'm running a 16" HB on my Rock River varmint A4. I am able to shoot sub moa, even 3/4 moa and better on my good days @ 400. I was out the other day at 200 and pulled a 3/4" five round group out of it. Actually shot better with it than my AI that day!

I wouldn't think 400 would be a problem!

Also, I'm getting 2928 FPS from the Hornady 55gr TAP rounds out of it!

Fuzz Butts=Sod Poodle=Prairie Dogs

I have a 24" RRA Varminter and my friend has a 26" White Oak. Neither is a "walk around" rifle. You'll be fine out to 400 yards with 16".

Id say that weight thing is quite subjective... however I like my 16" barrel for just about anything id need to do with a 5.56mm. I have a Noveske Light RECCE 16" with a 13" VTAC handguard. It is the perfect multipurpose setup. I hunt with it and use it as my go to gun!

I'd say 18 or 20 might be a better option, but if you're only going out to 400 you should be alright with a 16. I've got a 16" carbine that I've played around with at 600 and done pretty well so 400 should be a piece of cake.

White Oak Armament has a 20" match heavy profile barrel that is fluted under the handguard. I think its 41oz which is in line with some of the 18" spr barrel weights and just slightly heavier than some of the recce contour 16" barrels.

I think its the barrel I'm going with for my next build.