• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

varmint rifle upper- 223 or 204 ruger?

For a varmint rifle, you need top notch accuracy. What varmints are you to shoot?
Either way, I think you will find the Les Baer AR uppers or barrels to be the best. If you need options not offered, just get the Baer barrel.

The .204 is night and day better for varmints than any .223. It is faster, flatter and drifts in wind less than a 22-250. It will simply amaze you.

I have never had an issue with the .204 on coyotes. But I seldom shoot them beyond 500 yards. It has worked fine for me to that range.

I have had two .204 Les Baer's. Both were amazingly accurate. I wanted to suppress and needed a rail so I set up a Seekins upper with Baer barrel and it is also a tack driver. Cut to 20 and suppressed with Adj gas block.

What kind of varmints?

A damn .17HMR will do wonders on little things.

.204 ruger is an AWESOME coyote round.

+1 on all of the above, including the "WHICH VARMINTS?" question. Also, planning on reloading? If not...I'd also likely skip the 204 on ammo availability/price basis.

In addition to the RRA PP rifles/uppers, depending on what weight you want to keep things at, if you opt for the .223, their Varmint A4 variants are also an excellent bang for the buck for a factory production rifle/upper.

Ultimately...it comes down to what YOU most want (as well as when you need it and what you want to pay to have it). ;) Good luck on your quest!

I use my CZ 17hmr for squirrels, hit one at 170 yards last week. I want an AR for coyotes and a good contender for a yearly coyote derbee I attend. I'm leaning on the 204 because it's so flat, and I've never had a bullet go over 4000 FPS ;)

So what are my best 204 R upper options, had a precision firearms 6.5, deadly accurate, but trying to keep it under $1100.

And yes I'm well set up for reloading.
Thanks

There are tons of options out there. I personally do not reload so that is why I would say go the 223/5.56 route. Lots more of affordable ammo out there for 223 than for 204. I have never owned a 204 so I can not say one way or the other on killing ability between the two, I have shot everything from crows to deer with my 223 all dead. If you are looking for a off the shelf highly accurate rifle with a 20 inch barrel or longer, I say Rock River. If you are wanting to go the route of putting this together yourself, build a lower yourself with a good trigger and get a complete upper built by yourself or buy from someone who can build how you want. Lots of good companies out there to build you an upper with what options you want, like what barrel, bolt carrier, bolt, handguard etc. I have a rock river advanced tactical hunter which is highly accurate. I would look at Ironworks tactical for an upper or Bison armory. Good products.

So what are my best 204 R upper options, had a precision firearms 6.5, deadly accurate, but trying to keep it under $1100.

I'd opt for the Baer if it were me, but for a complete upper built to your specs in .204...you are looking at ~$1400 if you buy from them. A .204 barrel from them, you are looking at ~$550. JP...about the same prices. WOA...you can get a complete Varmatch for ~$850 shipped depending on any extras you want/need, but you may wait a LONG time for one right now...a quick call/e-mail will tell.